PDA

View Full Version : Deer survival tactics didn't work!

44man
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I got out late this morning, even forgot my cushion so I had to sit on the wood in my stand. I still had the .44 holstered when a bunch of deer came like gangbusters. I pulled the gun, turned the dot on and they were already going through my fence behind me.
Only one stopped at around 50 yards in the thick stuff. I had to twist way right and lean sideways to clear a tree. The dot touched her and the shot was gone. I knew I hit because when she ran off her tail was wagging real quick. She topped the hill. I found blood right away and was just standing there, looked over and she was against a tree. She made about 25 yards.
I used my 330 gr WLN with 21 gr of 296.
Now I am not going to tell you I made a great shot, etc, because I don't know how I got through the junk and I sure was not able to hold still in my position so it was just pure luck! :holysheep Everything was too fast. When a deer is seen now it is going full out and even when one is feeding, a small noise or anything at all makes them bolt. It is going to be real tough to get more.
This is my fourth for the season, doe season opened this morning.
The hole is the exit.

9.3X62AL
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
They do smarten right up after getting shot at. Real good shot under pressure, I'd say.

Right in the middle of our local deer season (Columbus Day-Veteran's Day, roughly) we often have strong NE winds blowing through the mountains. This has the effect of spreading hunter scent through every canyon and hillside, and the deer hunker down and have to be kicked up.

Jack Stanley
12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
After I lit a big charge of twenty-four hundred on a deer in the fading light I smartened up too . They get better , you get better ........... see all that time you was worried about the cushion and you didn't even have time to warm up that frosty plank :-P I would agree with the good shot under pressure line , I doubt I could pull off a handgun shot like that anymore .

It might be heresy , but if you have a safe place to lay the handgun down in the blind where you can get at it . It would help you from showing the deer just how fast a draw you are . That way , if you and them are ever out in the field at high noon ............................................ [smilie=l:

Good shot here's hoping for number five

Jack

outdoorfan
12-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Good shot, Jim. Now go whack a few more of 'em! I wanna see more examples of those boolits in action!! :lovebooli:lol:

44man
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Gonna try. It was bitter cold and windy this morning. WV has a winter storm out to the west and I hope we get some snow.

missionary5155
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Greetings 44man & Well done !
Another corn cruncher bites the dust and good eating for all concerned. Thanks for the write & picture. Hunting is one item I do miss while down here but I do get to 2 wheel all year long.

Thumbcocker
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Good on you. The deer around here have adopted a very effective survival strategy... invisibility. Unless my theory is correct and they are all wearing turkey suits.

home in oz
12-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, the Kansas deer are wearing their invisibility suits this week too!

Soon as season is over, they will walk up to me when I am cutting firewood....

home in oz
12-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Good Hunt with the pistola!

44man
12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
My mailman was down the road and after not seeing a buck for two weeks, the first deer he seen today in doe season were bucks. :drinks:
He did get a button buck.

RP
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Around here you can sit and watch the same spot all week and not see a single deer. You can go back one more time and the deer come out all over. Been hunting one area been 4 times seen nothing buddy went today and said there were 10 or more walking all over the field he picked out a big doe after a buck did not want to show up and light was fading. So the way I look at it the deer have to be lucky all hunting season I only have to be lucky one time lol.

Combat Diver
12-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Nice shooting and good example of why a red dot optic is good for awkward shooting positions (same with lasers).

Whitworth
12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Nice work, Jim!

44man
12-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The deer have cloaking devices or run all the time! :bigsmyl2:
I see 20 in a field one day, nothing for the next week. I see more deer in front yards now.
Cold and still windy, I could not even walk the dogs without a down vest under my coat. Cuts right through a guy! Even the revolver is hard to hold it gets so cold.
Wind is EVIL! [smilie=l:

Whitworth
12-07-2010, 11:48 AM
It's been a really strange season......

BOOM BOOM
12-11-2010, 02:23 AM
HI,
DANG NAB IT!!!!!!!!!!!
4 & I get to shoot only 1!
sometimes life sucks!
Nice job. :Fire::Fire: