PDA

View Full Version : Light weight Marlin .444S stock options?

the_ursus
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I have a Marlin 444s that's heavy. In fact it's the heaviest rifle I own. Other than Ramline, are there any other options for light weight and/or synthetic stocks? I've thought about drilling out the stock under the recoil pad but I'm not sure it's going to reduce much and may really throw off the balance of the rifle.

Or do I just need to stop carrying my other rifles so I forget how heavy it really is?

MtGun44
12-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Wild West Guns has an amazing set of kevlar/fiberglass stocks. Amazingly light and
amazingly expensive. Don't know if they are still making them, do a web search. They
used to (and probably still are) make beautiful, very high quality super short survival
take-down Marlin lever rifles for Alaskan bush pilots. As usual, very high quality custom
guns cost a lot.

Bill

missionary5155
12-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Good morning
Me I am too cheap to buy something I can adapt. So I would get out the drill. But realise you are not going to get 2 pounds of wood off that stock. Remove it and weight it. You may be able to remove 1/3 of that # safely.
Also just load 3 rounds.

NickSS
12-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I have owned a lot of Marlin rifles and none of them are what I call heavy. Most are around 7 to 7.5 pounds empty with no scope etc mounted. How much does your rifle weigh? Perhaps you have some extra dense Walnut for your stock. I was shooting my light weight Sharps rifle today it only weighs 9.5 pounds empty so maybe I am not that weight conscience.

NHlever
12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Drilling the stock will help. My BIL, and I took nearly a pound off his No.1 by doing that. Losing the scope will take another pound anyway. I think for most rifles that are to be carried, 7#-7 1/2# is plenty all day, and I have appreciated those that are lighter. That is not such a good plan for a "kicker" though, and be prepared for the extra recoil you will get with the lighter gun. I decided that in real life scenerios, a .44 Mag would do what I needed done, so I took a couple of pounds of my rifle by getting an 1894 Marlin. :D