Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman pro mag 20 heating time

Boolit Mold

Lyman pro mag 20 heating time

Anyone know how long it takes to get WW alloy up to melting temp. I found a used pot but it takes about 1 hour before anything even thinks about melting. The thermostat light isoncontinuously. Normal or do I need a new element.???

Boolit Bub
    Mine takes about 30 minutes, but that was when it was 60 outside. I haven't cast much this winter.

Boolit Master

I don't have a ProMelt, but it sounds to me as though there is an ohmic contact somewhere in the power to the element, cutting down on the power getting to the element. Either that, or else it is going sour and you need a new element. IMHO.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

It shouldn't take more than half an hour to go from solid to liquid. Box it up and send it to Lyman for repair. Lloyd Smale sent two pots in for repair a couple of years ago. IIRC, he was charged $55 each. It would be worth it to me. They're a good pot when they work right. I took mine apart last year for cleaning, and won't do it again. Lots of little wires welded to big wires, which if broken, would require a trip back to factory anyway. I've done that kind of welding in the past, but don't have access to an acetylene torch and the special rods anymore.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the answer I think I will time it . I took it apart and cleaned it last year after I bought it the element looked O.K. I noticed that LYMAN does not list the element on there parts that are available for the pot. Off to LYMAN it will go. On there web site it claims the melt time to be 10 min. but I cannot hardly beleive that.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Mag 20

My Mag 20 developed a similar problem years ago. The first time I just sent it back to Lyman.... $45 and 4 weeks later it was back home. Second time.. the tech at Lyman told me to try adjusting the thermostat..... It worked !!!!!
    The adjustment is inside the Big round temp knob. Remove dial and look inside the shaft. I ended up drilling a hole on dial to gain access easier. It takes a small straight blade screwdriver to make adjustments.
    You may want to try this before sending back.
    If I remember correctly... turn counterclock wise to increase temp.