Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Magma casters pot

Exclamation Magma casters pot

Does anyone here own a casters pot from magma?
    At $575.00 price tag I wouldn't think many would. However, if someone does, I would like to know how well it's made, how well the temp control works, how long it takes to melt that 40 lbs. of lead, and how well it's made. Does magma offer a better warranty than RCBS? How is their customer service at magma? Any of you guys that have a star sizer can answer some of these questions.
    Everyone seems to agree that the star sizer is the 1 to get. If quality is that good in a sizer, how about their casting pots? Any and all input on my questions is welcome, thanks-seabat0603

Boolit Bub
    wend i got mine it was $300.00.
    I had it about six or eighe years. Every thing about the pot is great I have had four Lyman pots over the years and they all died. I cast about ten to fifteen thousand 45 a year.
    Mike in NH.

Boolit Master
    i have the magma 90 lb pot. it is a 220 instead of 110. i realy like it. i can add a 6 ln ingot and the temp. only changes 3-10 deg. it is also cheeper than the 45 lb pot.

I have one. Mines handled well over 2 tons of alloy. I have found no fault. Magma has aways been great to deal with. I had a problem with one of their Magma/Star lubers which took a while to get lined out but in the end it was handled way beyond my expectations.

I've been out of the casting business for 3 years but the best I remember melt time was 30/40 minutes. Mine would hold temp well. I used a Lyman Thermometer instead of relying of the dial.

God Bless
    Creeker

Boolit Master

Magma 90 LB pot

I have one ,works great it is 220 volt. I have to agree with everything LAH said about it and the company. I have 6 star sizers they are very fast the only problem I have had is with some of the dies is adjusting the lube holes for the bullets I was puting though them. (I size nose frist)

Got me one of them 90 pounders also. It is the Bee's knees for melting lead, once you get it up to temp 30 to 40 minutes you can go like crazy add lead and hardly see any difference at all.
    Mine is 220 Volt also.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

I shot a few of you a private message and asked some questions, and I'll state them here as well. Does having a 220 pot limit where you put it? How hard is it then to move your pot if you wanna change things up? After installing a 220 pot and running it for a while, what type of hit do you take on the old electric bill? I guess what I would like to know most of all is, even though the 90lb. pot is $50.00 cheaper than the 40lb. pot and you go from a 110 to a 220, is it really worth it to have a 220 pot that's limited by the hook up. Thanks-seabat0603

I have the Magma 40lb bottom pour pot,I think it was $395 when I bought mine 2 years ago.
    I have had no problems with it . Very good quality and maintains temperature .

Sean

Banned

If they were still 400 bucks id buy one but the price has gotten out of control on them. As to the power bill. Electricity is measured in watts. It doesnt matter what the voltage is. A 220 pot with a 1000 watt element will use the same as one with a 1000 watt 110 element. Only real advantage to 220 is that it requires smaller wires to be run for the circuit its on.

Quote Originally Posted by seabat0603 View Post
    Does having a 220 pot limit where you put it? How hard is it then to move your pot if you wanna change things up?
    First off, forget about the power bill. Unless you're running a pot every day for 5 or 6 hours you probably won't notice the difference.

As for pot placement, anywhere you want to run a wire. It's a simple thing to install a breaker, run a wire & place the plug. As for moving the pot & if you're not moving it far you could fashion a proper extension cord..........Creeker

Boolit Grand Master

I have the 40 pounder and wouldn't trade it for anything (well, maybe the 90 pounder). The temp on it does go up as the level in the pot goes down but that has been my experience on every single electric pot I've ever used. Their new electronic control is supposed to address this issue and I just a couple of days ago ordered it (not arrived yet). It takes my RCBS 22 pound pot 35-40 minutes to get up to casting temp. It takes my Lyman 20 pound pot 40 minutes and it takes my 40 pound Magma pot 35 minutes to reach casting temp. Casting temp for me is 700 degrees.

I've been using the Star for a couple of decades or more and just recently added the air cylinder to it, that's the best money I've spent on reloading in a long time.

Been using their products for a very long time and bought many things from them but on warranty I couldn't tell you, never had anything go bad. I did received a couple of Star dies awhile back that sized undersize, on the phone they tried to convince that it was the alloy but they replaced them without further ado and the replacements were spot on (with the same alloy). When ordering they are pleasant, listen to your needs & wants, quick with shipping. Chatted with them at the SHOT Show a couple of years ago and they were right nice folks even though at the time they were busier than a fart in a tornado.

I always try to buy the best tool that I can even though most of the time I need to save my pennies and wait to get it. Magma recommendation? After several years as their customer . . . Highly recommended!

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have a 40 lb pot. I cast a few thousand a week and it works great. I no longer use my LEE pots and use my RCBS only when I do something with pure lead and don't feel like emptying the Magma. The 40 lb pot comes in 110 or 220, but I haven't found a need for the 220. I can melt 40 lbs in abut 35 minutes. The 1500 watts is WAY better than the 700 of the others. Just keep chucking in ingots and never stop casting due to temp change. Plus you can get the double pour spout to speed things up. And it removes for cleaning from the bottom, can even do it with hot lead in there if need be. I've had mine for about 3 years now, run about 9000 lbs through it so far with nary a hitch.

Boolit Mold
    i bought a industrial 250 pound pot 3350 watts it works great. i got it new 100.00 its the best buy i ever got, in casting bullets

Boolit Master
    458LOTTO where did you get that 250 lb pot? what is the name of the pot? sounds like a good pot to melt ww down in. thanks