Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Big round nose 30 cal bullets

Boolit Buddy

Big round nose 30 cal bullets

Finally got in the first die set I ordered back in December... I've got an 8s pointing die along with boat tail punches but what I was really looking forward to playing with was a boring old round nose 30 profile for heavy bullets. Richard refers to this as a "kynoch" style bullet. Which I suppose is fitting. Looks like I'm going to be able to get up to about 230gr weight out of this using 1.15" jackets, which is great because I bought as many as I could afford when I found out RCE would no longer be a source. I'd been worried that I'd need to buy longer Berger jackets which would have been cost prohibitive when I really want these for subsonic plinking. Yea, I know I could cast them but it's nice to be able to not have to worry about coating them to run through a suppressor. Doesn't take much more time to swage them compared to messing with coating, or at least it doesn't feel like it.

These are right at 220gr... Looking forward to seeing if they feed in the AR but mostly they'll be used on bolt guns anyways. Thinking I may get a hollow point punch just for giggles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First30CalHeavies-1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	169958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First30CalHeavies-2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	169959

Boolit Master
    Very nice, I've always like round nose bullets.

Oooooh,, Aaaaahhhh! I just love those! I would shoot those in my '06 for sure. What a thumper they would be at 2500 fps! I am experiencing extreme bullet envy right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Ha! I've got a 31" barreled 30-06 I plan on playing with them in for sure. She shoots 208gr amax at 2900fps so I think these will move pretty good with the long barrel.

It just didn't make sense to me to make a bullet for subsonic use that was pointy. Always thought it was a waste of an Amax to put it in a 308 case with 10gr of trailboss and lob it down range. A round nose bullet will be just fine for that purpose. Plus I've got some shorty 30 cal jackets so I figure this'll work just fine in my m1 carbine as well with a lighter bullet.

Boolit Buddy

Think how nice the 0.95" will do at 150 to 170 grn in the 30-30................................................ ....................That's what I stocked up on from RCE
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master

A little while ago I was researching round nose for 190's for the subsonic 300 BO for a can. They look good for subsonic.
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Yea... I screwed up and didn't pull the trigger on more jackets when I should have. Stocked up on the 264's and the 1.15 30 cal. I only have about 1500 or so .8" ones I believe. I suppose I could always trim the longer ones down if I need to. In a few years I'll be wishing I bought more of all of it I'd wager!

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are beautiful. Well done. I just started shooting 220's in my '06. They are great to hunt with. Accurate, too.

Boolit Master
    I just wish I could get jackets in Oz,RCE don't export. Pat