Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Mentioning the 35 Rem. Previous loads and targets

Super Moderator

Mentioning the 35 Rem. Previous loads and targets

.............An old shooting buddy and I ended up with a BUNCH of stripped small ring Mauser (1894 Brazilians by Loewe and FN) actions, and then completed them with parts from Springfield Sporters. These actions are unique from ALL other mall ring actions in that they have no thumb cut. They are also milled for the 'Chinned' boltface, as was the first '93 Spanish Mausers.

The first one I used I made into a 7.62x39 sporter. This one in 35 Remington was the 2nd. It's in a cheap plastic stock and wears the least expensive Williams aputure rear sight and has a round bead front sight. No alterations were made to the action. The barrel has a 16" twist. It feeds and extracts just fine. In the photo shown the loaded round has a Saeco #356, which is a 200gr FNGC slug.

I thought I'd share some of the stuff I've down with it over the years, so here's some targets and the loads used. All of these loads were per my usual. That is visually inspected boolits and powder charges were thrown. All were put up in standard off the shelf Lee dies. All these groups shown were fired at 50 yards.

Some light loads. Data visible on the targets. Pretty amazing the similarity between the Lee DEWC and the Lyman GC'd SWC.

These were shot using surp WC846 at 39.0 and 41.0 grains, and was a quick and dirty crimp test. The boolit for all is the Saeco #356, 200gr FNGC. On the left, the upper (39.0gr)and lower (41.0gr) targets had been crimped. Those on the right had NOT been crimped.
    Crimped:
    39.0 = 2057 fps
    41.0 = 2168 fps
    No crimp:
    39.0 = 2042 fps
    41.0 = 2148 fps

Here's 4 different powders all using the same load of 36.0 grs. Upper left and going clockwise is:
    AA2200 = 2227 fps
    BLC2 = 1965 fps
    WC844 = 2076
    WC846 = 2086

And lastly these are all loaded with WC846 and cheap Remington 200gr Core-Lokt jacketed bullets. I think you can read the charges and the velocities listed on the target. I have pretty much settled on surplus WC846 as THE best powder for me in this rifle for higher velocities, cast or jacketed.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Now that looks like a FUN gun to shoot.

Banned

WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I want one!

Acutally I was droolin all over a 250 Savage Ruger Tang safety that was MINT, I mean PERFECT condition for $450.... my friend beat me to the draw on the cash...

Boolit Bub
    Very nice rifle, and it does some admirable shooting.

When I commented on my Mauser 93 .35 Rems on a previous thread, I didn't mention one advantage they have over the Marlin (which I like very much). The Mauser magazine makes it possible to seat long bullets way beyond what would be maximum overall length for a Marlin.

I have Lyman molds # 35897 (232 gr.) and 358318 (247 gr.). Loads with those feed fine. The 35897 does not shoot well in my rifles, though, so I never tried to work up any game loads with it. The heavier bullet is pretty accurate, and I have used it (cast soft and hollow-pointed) on deer. But the RCBS 35-200-FP kills quicker, in my experience. And there's no need to hollow-point it.

I don't have a Lyman 358315, but pictures of it suggest it's rounded off enough to feed from my rifles. But first I'm going to try the feed rail modifications somebody suggested. I hesitate to put a spacer in the magazine box, though I might try that too if loads with the long bullet will stil fit.

Boolit Grand Master

FWAddit

I put a thin space on each side of the mage well in front of the case shoulder to hold the cartridge to the rear of the magazine well. This has always enhanced feeding with shrt cartridges in Mausers. It also gives you the maximum OAL for loaded cartridges that the magazine will allow.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Larry. I'm going to try that.