MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Hardness tester

Hardness tester

Hello
    Just wondering if anyone has used one of these hardness testers and knows how well they work
    Thanks Tom

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=731364

Thumbs up

I have not used the lee but I did purchase a tester from Gussy at http://www.castingstuff.com/ .
    Check out his testers . TheY can do ingots and bullets and if you get the extra ATTACHMENTS you can also do case runouts and bullet run outs just for a few more bucks .

RR
    PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT !!! PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT !!!!!!
    HOME OF THE 500 MAGNUM TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S.........

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the Lee tester is accurate, but it takes a little experimenting to learn how to use it. The tricky part is getting the microscope steady and properly aligned on the "dimple". I place mine in my Lee turret, pushed through a .45 Colt sizing die. I then put the sample on the ram press and use a bright light positioned behind the ram. It suits my use, but it's not nearly as sophisticated as others I've seen.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned

ive got a lbt a seaco and a casting stuff one from gussy and the one from gussy is the eaisest to use and by far the most well build one and the cheapest to boot. Everyone should have one of them. Its proably the best bang for the buck in all of bullet casting.

Gussy's tester gets my vote as well. I've had one for about 3 years now. It's accurate, well designed, well built and user friendly. Lloyd is right, every caster should own one. I would'nt trade it for one each of all the others.

Moderator Emeritus
    Ditto on the Cabine Tree tester, had a SAECO before and the cabine tree one is the dogs danglies for me. Easier to use, takes ingots and is easier to read.

Find the readings to be very consistent.

As to actual Brinnel hardness who knows with any of them but I'm happy knowing relative softness and when I test bought pure lead its right on the money.

I got the dual purpose version, worth every penny.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Hello and thanks to everyone that offered their advise. I'm looking at the tester from Gussy's and i'm leaning towards buying it. I do like the way it is set up.
    Thanks again
    Tom

I have the Lee. It works well, but it takes some getting used to. If you have the money, go with the casting stuff one. I've used one and it works very well. It's the easiest one to use. That said, you can't beat the Lee if you're on a tight budget. It's accurate but not as easy to use. I bought the Lee because money was really tight and I do like it, but now that things have eased up financially I will buy one from Gussy Soon!
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Man
    Another vote for Cabine Tree. I love mine.

db2

The Lee tester is fine but I suppose the spring in the die can weaken after time without one knowing it and therefore produce a progressively smaller dent which would translate to a harder than actual BHN.

To make the Lee tester easier to use find a plastic funnel that the microscope fits snuggly into and cut away about a third of the cone. This will let in ample light and hold the microscope steady for a more accurate reading.

MJ

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by db2 View Post
    Another vote for Cabine Tree. I love mine.

db2
    I sold my saeco!! But will have my cabin tree forever!!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    I just got a Cabin Tree last week. I am still learning but it seems to be pretty consistent. I noticed today though that some 20:1 I got from Midway doesn't register as high a Bn as the books say it should. All the rest of my alloys seem to be pretty much right on. I think I am going to like this unit and it should really help me with my boolits and loads.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Just got my new "Lee" hardness tester today (With a name like Lee it can't be all bad?? )

Tested 3 types of "muffin" pan ingots tonight. Tested on the bottom of the muffin;

1. Guaranteed soft lead. Largest eyeball dimple.

2. Guaranteed "e-bay" soft lead. Medium eyeball dimple.

3. Cast down WW from local tire shop. Smallest eyeball dimple.

I'll get the Lee microscope going later, but right now, it is obvious that WW's are "way" harder than "guaranteed soft lead from unknown sources" and in turn are harder than "known source pure soft lead"
    So far the Lee tester is extremely simple to operate. I'll let ya know later how simple to operate the microscope is!!

Now some ancillary observations on the whole process so far;

1. Known pure lead muffin ingots have a bluish/goldishpurplish cast with an extremely shiny surface to them and have a shrunken dimple on the top of the muffin, somewhat pronounced.
    2. "Known" e-bay "pure lead" muffin ingots have a very shiny surface with a less well pronounced shrunken dimple on the top of the muffin.
    3. Known local WW's muffin ingots have a frosted/galvanized appearance with the most smallest shrunken dimple on the top of the muffin.

All ingot muffins processed by me and kept in "lot" form..........Lee

I have the Lee hardness tester and it has proven to work well for me. A good flashlight shined in the area that is being measured helps. I leave the bullet in the "shell plate" and remove the hardness die. I then put my flashlight in the die with the light pointing to the bullet. It makes it easier for me to steady the scope and read the measurement.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Master
    Hardness Tester Part 2;

I've had a chance to play some more with my new Lee Hardness Tester. The indenter tool is extremely easy to use. Couldn't be any simpler. If you take reasonable care, it should last a lifetime.

The microscope tool? Well, that appears to be a modern day recreation of a medieval torture device. The reticle is centered, and positioned well in the tube. No problem obtaining proper lighting to line up the graduations to the indent made in the boolit or ingot. But.......all the movement is backwards. Down is up and right is left. Trying to find and stay aligned on a dimple will make even the most hardened grown man cry. Those posters who have described and suggested a homemade microscope stand are absolutely correct. I'm thinking right now just how to make mine, I'm surprised Lee hasn't come up with some simple sheet metal thingy to hold and support the 'scope.
    That said, and it's not a fatal criticism, I have to say I'm happy with my purchase. Keep a sample of pure lead around for reference purposes, the tool works well to determine how hard your particular alloy is. Extremely helpful! I'm sure it's not as fancy or easy to use as some of the more expensive hardness testers, but for the intermediate caster, it is a good buy for the money.
    And no, I'm not related to Lee Precision ....................................Lee

Boolit Master

lee
    i took an empty 2liter soda bottle & cutthe top off it at the label then cut a hole in the lid to snugly hold the microscope it works for me!!!!!!

GP100man

I use the LBT BHN tester. A google search of LBT Hardness Tester will tell you all you need to know.

Easy to use and accuract.
    Jim

I reckon so....