MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypersensitivity to melting lead

Boolit Master
    Work outside for the initial smelt. Get a BIG pot (cut the top off a 20lb propane tank). Fill the pot with loose wheel weights, pour about a cup full of diesel or stove oil over the wheel weights, fire up the heat source under the pot, light the diesel on fire and stir with a long VERY DRY stick.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Your dross (skim ) is not getting wet is it?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

I, too, will suggest that you relax on the lead thing. Kalifornia may be my home state, but
    the loons out there are so far gone as to make it a state I will visit but would not even
    consider living in any more.

Either crud burning off the wts or leaking fuel seems likely. The biggest real risk is some
    sort of a lead splashing incident, so safety goggles, gloves and long sleeves and long
    pants, and closed top shoes are prudent. Lead vaporization at the temps we use is
    near as anything to zero. If you are familiar with scientific notation, the partial pressure
    of lead at our temps is in the 10 to the minus 7 torr range, so that is one ten millionth
    of one torr, where normal atmospheric pressure is 760 torr. Effectively zero lead vapor.

Witness that thousands of us have been casting for decades with blood lead levels that are
    extremely low. Lead enters the body most easily by eating, drinking or smoking (putting
    anything contaminated with lead dust, NOT vapor, in your mouth). Don't eat, smoke or
    drink while handling lead or casting, wash your hands and you will never have any issues.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are using LP make sure that your flame does not contact the bottom of the pot. [Impengement] That is a surefire way to make CO. Make sure that you do not have any zinc weights. Not only will they mess up your alloy but you can get galvanic poisoning. Some are more susceptible than others to that, drinking milk before and after seems to help a lot of welders. The tank connection will be cold after drawing fuel for a while. It should not appear to be frosted or iced which would be a sing of leakage in a warmer climate. It might be that you are sensetive to the burning product. I would get a cartridge respirator and see if it makes a difference. It would not be for protection of lead fumes but for burning rubber and paint. I don't let my alloy get to hot before I pour either. I assure that you are not overheating it for 30 minutes or more past it's melting temperature.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

If you can position a box fan behind the stove level with the top of the windscreen or pot, whichever is higher, it will pull the fumes away from you. I tested this extensively while casting and making shot. I had a piece of aluminum plate fastened to the front of my shirt. Tested it for lead before I started, none present. Cast and made shot with the fans behind me, lead was present on the plate. Cleaned the plate, tested, no lead, cast & made shot with the fan in front of me, no lead on the plate.
    I then put the fan behind me again and lit a wad of newspaper behind the fan for smoke and watched what the smoke did around me. It swirled around to the front of me in eddies (sp).
    So take from this what you want, but lead exposure is a very slow process, unless you eat it. Staying out of the other fumes is more important. Some of the weights are coated with an epoxy coating that is really nasty.

Relax and enjoy yourself, this is a fun pastime that has enough challenges to keep it interesting (or frustrating). when my blood lead level went up to 12 I noticed a metallic tate in my mouth and my teeth felt different. Hard to explain that one! OSHA doesn't require action until the BLL is 40 so if you are ever aware of symptons you may well be just slightly elevated.
    Personal hygiene goes a long ways to preventing contamination.

Boolit Master

Cal...I mean Kalifornia made it illegal to obtain it either new or used without hazmat papers for disposal.
    What part of CA are you in? I regularly get WWs from three different tire shops. There has never been an issue about papers. If some shop is telling you this, they are blowing smoke up your backside. They might not know any different though. It might be what they were told by "SumDude". Incorrect information doesn't help anyone.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    + 1 on drinking milk.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I finally found out what was causing my ailment. Bad Beer!

For the last few days I've been sharing some stock of stored Newcastle and Corona from a friend and learned that this stuff is a DECADE old. Needless to say the rest has been used to water the flowers...

On the lighter side I finally ran my first casting session today in 9x18 Mak even though it was only a hundred or so. Tomorrow I pan lube and case trim for sizing. Lots of study work to do.

*Edit* Oh yeah. One more thing learned. NEVER touch an ingot without gloves on no matter how long you think it has cooled.

For SiFiJim: I live a stones throw (and trust me I tried) from SF in the east bay. I deal with all the panhandlers, crazies, angry youth and and idiots that just plain drive me nuts. I miss Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Louisiana while I was still in the service.
    Last edited by KaliforniaRebel; 02-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Hot tip here!

Stay away from alcohol while casting.

In fact stay away from drinking, eating, smoking, picking your nose or any such activities while casting.

Even tho I believe the scare regarding lead is way overblown, I see no benefit doing any of the above while handling lead.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I absolutely agree to not be drinking while casting. The same follows for before casting too. This was afterward each time post cleanup.

Boolit Grand Master

I will drink when casting in a long session but I don't have my drink (not alcohol)close to the casting area and I am very careful to keep my hands away from the top of the glass. Casting can get hot and you do need to keep hydrated.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12