Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes lead cores?

Boolit Master

Who makes lead cores?

Just had a price quote from a company that makes lead cores for specific weight. Problem is that they only make them at certain times of the year.

Does anyone know if there is someone who makes and sells them at a good price?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

In Remembrance

I make my own, and do so when ever the need arises.
    Pretty darn cheap also!

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Not at the price I was quoted. I can barely pay for the lead wire for the price they stated.

"A 42.0 (gr core) would be $29.22 / 1000. 5,000 minimum. S&H $15.30/box with a maximum 36 pounds per box. We only only run .22 cal twice a year due to the small demand, we just finished our winter run and the next run will be this summer. Sorry, we probably missed you this year, but keep us in mind, January and July."

I can buy lead wire @ 2.50 a lb. = 166.66 cores (not even including the remnant lead left from squirting) .015 cents a core with all the time put into it. @ 29.22 per thousand? That is right around .032 cents after shipping. Well worth the cost and my time to not have to make 5,000 cores.

@ approximately 10 seconds per core (and that is on the low side) 5,000 of them would take me 50,000 seconds. Just about 3/4 of a day.
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 01-09-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Moderator Emeritus

What's the name of the company?

Fred

Boolit Master
    To be honest I cannot think of it but do have the email address for them.

​Mentor

Vendor Sponsor

When someone finds the name of the company please post here. I would be interested to. Maybe we could do a group buys of some sorts.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man
    I have been making my own wire and then cores from billets using a Corbin hydro press. I borrow the use of it from my friend Bill when he is not swagging large heavy bullets. If you want to make your cores from wire I will ask him if can make and sell it for less than Corbin would charge. We could mail up to 70 pounds at a time in a flat rate box.
    I will need to know your exact diameter to ask if he has the correct die.
    Frank

Boolit Master
    Well Frank that would be awesome. Not sure what Corbin charges for specific weight lead cores. .198 I believe. For .22 cal.
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 01-09-2012 at 03:42 AM.

​Mentor

In Remembrance

Most of my lead has been salvage lead, and was about $.22 a pound, rough numbers.

I can make a heck of a lot of cores, cheaper than they can make em at that factory.

A 42 grain bullet weighs 42,000 grains per thousand. At 7,000 grains to the pound, they're getting $29.22 for 6 pounds of lead or $4.87 a pound!

I have plenty of time on my hands. I'll save the $4+ per pound, and make my own.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

it all sounds interesting but by and large I am way to anal to buy pre made cores. I weigh each core and swage it to match the jacket its going in. I know its probably a waste of time but its why my home rolled j words weigh with in .01 grains.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    I can buy lead wire @ 2.50 a lb. = 166.66 cores (not even including the remnant lead left from squirting) .015 cents a core with all the time put into it. @ 29.22 per thousand? That is right around .032 cents after shipping. Well worth the cost and my time to not have to make 5,000 cores.
    where are you seeing lead wire for $2.50 a pound? thats a deal.

Boolit Master

Try Kelby's Inc. They have a website and if they are not making the cores you need they can tell you who is. This is a first class operation and more than likely the owner will answer the phone.

Boolit Master
    "where are you seeing lead wire for $2.50 a pound? thats a deal."

I sell it for that price. That is where Utah Shooter got his.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master
    I think the Stark Bullet Company used to sell cores. I don't think they still sell bullets but I have heard they are still making them.

Boolit Man
    You can see Corbin wire prices and sizes here.
    http://www.corbins.com/prices.htm#lead

Frank

Boolit Master
    Yup. From Lafaun.

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy
    Check Benchrest central Hood swages cores minum order is 5,000 cores weight is to your specs. www.benchrest.com

Boolit Master
    Yep, that's the other one I've heard of too. Just could think of the name.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Check Benchrest central Hood swages cores minum order is 5,000 cores weight is to your specs. www.benchrest.com
    Yup. That is the Company I have been talking to.

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy
    They are noted for makeing quality product , Like custom bullet reloading presses/
    nice people. I make my own
    I have a Ch core cutter and make cores for 22 cal 6mm and 30 cal/
    I sure wouldn't want to do it as a business. I think that hood and some others have hydraulic press set up.