WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication

Thread: WC820 Vs. AA#9

Boolit Master

WC820 Vs. AA#9

I have developed a very good 7.62X54R load with WC820 in my M39 Finn using the Lyman 314299 @.314. My WC820 was advertised as similar to AA#9 and was wondering how close they are because when I run out of WC820 I would like to continue with AA#9. Can anyone tell me?

I realize that I will have to work back up but are they in fact close?

Ken

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, they are in fact close. How close will depend on lots of both.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Banned

same powder. Differnt lots have slghtly differnt burn rates but ive seen the same just buying aa9

Boolit Grand Master
    According to the books (that's my 'easy out'!), 820 was used in the .30 Carbine round.

I have used it in handgun calibers with AA9 data and it worked fine. Note, however, AA9 is suggested for magnum and/or full power loads.

I started low and the unburned powder made a glorious mess of my .45 auto. Once I got up to the top of the load window, it burned clean.

I have used it in rifle calibers and it did fine. Seems like it works better in small case calibers. Again, however, it works best under pressure. It don't burn worth a stink unless you crowd it with pressure.

skeet1, I'd like to compare notes with you as I too use #314299, albeit @ .312" in my M 39 Finn with WC 820 (AA #9 burn rate). The two charges I use are 18.5gr. and 20.5gr., but I haven't chronographed them. I also use them in all my nominally .30cal. shouldered cartridges and in the 8 x 57mm Mau. as well with 195gr. CBs and am completely satisfied with their performance. If you're wondering how I came up with those charges, trial and error mostly, but they are what 2 of my Lyman [pistol powder measure] rotors throw with WC 820. Naturally, ease of extracting the fired cases, primer appearance, and brass longevity also support those charges.

Boolit Master

Maven,
    I think that is very interesting, I also have been using 18.5 gr. with the 314299 and it shoots quite well, as was well as my old eyes can see. I have tried 2400, Unique, and they are OK but in my gun the WC820 is much more accurate. I wish I had some speeds to share with you but I don't. At this time I have not tried anymore than 18.5 gr.

Good shooting to you,
    Ken

Boolit Master

I shoot AA#9S (Lot # 06791)...

I was told this was surplus powder, thus the "S", when I purchased it from Bartlett or McDonald--don't remember which...

I later purchased some WC-820 (Lot # 47320)...

I shot those powders side by side with the same boolit, primer, and charge weight of powder charge...

The same day over the same chrony (I can't afford 2 different ones!!!!) and they shot so close to the same velocity that one would think they are the same powder...

Don't know, but that is my findings...

Oh, that was in the 357 Magnum (358429), 44 Magnum (429650), and 45 Colt (45-270-SAA--not good results)...

I interchange without problems, although I don’t shoot much of it anymore. Got loads for the 357 Magnum and 45 Colt that are better…

Good-luck...

BCB

Boolit Bub

For what it's worth

I have an 8# jug of WC820. According to the information at time of purchase, it was used in .30 Carbine ammunition.

The load I worked up makes this lot I have the same as 2400 in the .30 Carbine; that is, the charge WC820 gives exactly the same velocity as the same charge of 2400 according to the load book.

I have since used it in both .357 and .44 Magnum and it seems very close to 2400 in those applications as well.

I've never used AA #9, so I don't know how that relates.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

just a note there are three different rates of wc820 i have 1, that is similsr to aa#9 just a tad slower, 2, is comparable to 2400 alliant , and the third is marked wc820f and is rejected due to burning too fast similar to aa #7, be carefull out there i load my powder to #9 and it is safe in my magnum and lesser pistol and revolver rounds from 38- 454 casull
    Last edited by badbob454; 09-22-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling error and ease of understanding my typing
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master

I shot my M39 VKT Finn again yesterday with a slightly increased load of WC820 and my group tightened up and I think I will stop there. I have been thinking of maybe trying to go to one of the Military Bolt Action Matches and try it out. It is a very accurate rifle and is worth every penny I payed for it.
    Last edited by skeet1; 03-30-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My 5+ year old jug of WC820 is marked 10% faster than H110 so reduce H110 loads by 10% as a starting point.....any advice beyond that out there? I just used these starting loads in a 300AAC and the reduced loads did not cycle the action (but shot fine) I will work things up from there but it sems that the AA#9 equiv will work fine

Boolit Master

the 8lbs I have of it loads the same as H110 great stuff when you can find it. Problem with it is now its gotten so expensive you may as well buy h110

SR4759 vs AA#9

Sorry, I don't want to hijack the thread.
    The #9 just caught my attention.

Checking a burn rate chart I've seen the SR4759 and #9 being pretty close.
    I just wondered whether somebody has tried some loads with #9 in straight wall rifle cartridges like the 45-70 - since I do have some on hand and want to put it to good use. Me thinks if it works in the .45 Colt - it might work in the bigger case too.

Thanks
    Hubertus

Boolit Grand Master

My old jug of WC820 is definitely faster than #9. It looks nothing like #9 either, it actually resembles black pepper. This is lot 47277 from Pat's Reloading. Label says to reduce H110 by 13%.
    This powder has such small grains that it almost runs out of my Lee Pro Auto Disk measures, even with a new wiper in it. I use mt Redding measure most of the time for this powder.
    Sometimes, like when I reload 30 carbine in my turret press I will reshape my tin foil hat to catch the powder that leaks out of the measure.

Checking a burn rate chart I've seen the SR4759 and #9 being pretty close.
    I just wondered whether somebody has tried some loads with #9 in straight wall rifle cartridges like the 45-70 - since I do have some on hand and want to put it to good use. Me thinks if it works in the .45 Colt - it might work in the bigger case too.

Thanks, Hubertus

Hubertus, I've used 17gr. & 18gr. WC 820 (AA #9 burn rate) in my .45-70 (Marlin #336) with CB's between 340gr. & 465gr. and was completly satisfied with it.

Banned

I dont know how many of you have used aa9 over the years but ive burned many jugs of it and it to has varied drasticaly from lot to lot in burning rate. Back when aa first started selling all there powders you had to really watch it. Keep in mind that when aa started selling powders they were nothing but surplus repackaged in pretty cans. I dont know how much of its surplus anymore. The burning rates between lots has gotten better lately but it still can vary more then most other comercial powders.

Thank you!

I will approach it very carefully.

Thanks again.
    Hubertus

Wc820 may be the old W630 in disguise. Speer #9 has W630 the same charges and velocity as H2400. How is Wc820 on your barrel throats, W630 was hard on them. AA9 and W630 weren't around together to compare.