RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off press priming?

Boolit Master

Off press priming?

Since I've had no success selling my Hornady LnL AP setup I'm going to keep it. This means I'll need to find a off press priming solution. This is going to slow me down a bit but I've got lots of time on my hands.

What's the best/cost effective off press priming solution out there? I've got one of the Hornady hand primers and it gives me blisters after a 100 rounds or so. I wish I still had my old Lee Auto Prime.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master

Did you do a search for this answer, as we get this same question once a week.

Lee still makes handheld primers and they work fine. The Lyman unit is also good.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Bonanza Co-Ax. Easy, fast, functional. No shell holders required.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

RCBS bench prime works great for me
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Buy another Lee Auto Prime...Been using the same one for over 20 years...

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the RCBS bench primer. Had it for many years w no problems. Mine is mounted to a Inline Fabrication quick change mount.

Lee also has a bench prime unit now.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Or you could get a BPM Hand Press and use a Lee Ram Prime Die in it. You could also do a lot of other operations on the press so it would serve more than one purpose and it is completely portable and usable anywhere. You'd find yourself using it more than the Hornady Press very quickly.

See the video showing the Ram Prime installed and used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=5s

I have several different tools to prime with. I have found that the simplest ways are usually the best ways.

I use the Lee Ram Prime and my 40 year old Lee Hand Priming tool most of all. You don't have to load tubes with primers to use these tools. Loading the tubes gives back all the time you saved using the Priming Tool itself.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2011redrider View Post
    Another vote for the RCBS bench primer. Had it for many years w no problems. Mine is mounted to a Inline Fabrication quick change mount.
    Vote 3, I have used several hand held primers, Lee (2) RCBS, I think two variations over the years, Lee ram prime, priming arm on Lyman and RCBS presses.
    I got a RCBS bench primer with a bunch of dead guy reloading stuff I bought ~ 10 years ago. I would have never purchased it at the retail price, once I had used it, I decided that that was a foolish notion. Much better feel when seating primers.

Since you didn't complain about loading priming tubes for the LnL...I'd suggest the RCBS Bench Prime.

I don't use the little battery powered tube loading gadgets, I just load out of the flip tray...it takes all of 2 minutes. I've had a good fart last longer than that!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    TG, I have looked into this but haven't pulled the trigger yet since I have a progressive. I liked

LEE Auto Bench Prime $28.99 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CSkxpomJk
    Lee Precision Auto Prime Shell Holders $15.99
    from Amazon with prime and

FOLDING PRIMER TRAY (2-PACK) 90606 $5.00 x 2 = $10.00 + $5.63 shipping from Lee
    this way you have 5 primer trays and don't have to keep switching primers
    $60.61 total shipped

RCBS 9460 Auto Priming Tool $63.77 amazon prime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-638LgQp4gc

Hand priming tools are out of the question for me, since I've been at this reloading game for just over 54 years and my hands can't do all that squeezing anymore. Besides, I never liked them, anyway.

I've tried just about all the off press priming methods and have settled on the RCBS and Lyman Ram Prime method. It's the most precise for me and the easiest to use. You just use your regular shell holder and prime away, knowing each and every primer is going to be seated the same.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Another recommendation for the RCBS bench primer. Yes, the Lee and other hand prime units work well but if using them causes discomfort or downright pain, then the RCBS is just the ticket.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    it takes all of 2 minutes. I've had a good fart last longer than that!
    I'm impressed, and I'd pay $20 to see that !!! Wasn't "Electric" was it?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I'm impressed, and I'd pay $20 to see that !!! Wasn't "Electric" was it?

Randy
    It twas a 'rumbler'!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Sinclair hand priming tool. Its a little pricy but its very exact and the feel is great. Before that I used the original Lee tool. I actually have worn out several of those. I like to hand prime vs bench prime because I can do it while in the den watching tv with the family.

Boolit Master

I really like the Lee auto bench prime.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I really like the Lee auto bench prime.
    Me too

I'm still Loving on the original round tray LEE hand primers , got my last back up off eBay NOS for under $30 including shipping last year
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance

After I up graded my Hornady Pro - 7 to a Pro-Jector style I didn`t like the way the on press priming cycle worked. So I started doing my priming off press with the LEE had priming tool. All these years later and 3 of the LEE tools worn out I now use an RCBS bench mounted priming tool. I have and still use rarely a Hornady priming tool and am not crazy about how it works. I bought a new style LEE priming tool and am not fond of the way that works either. I stopped using the RCBS priming arm on both my Jr. and RC press with a year of getting both presses. So I keep looking for LEE units at sales and other table sell affairs.Robert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast