Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 Blackout for deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    BTW,

I have used the BLK with 110 and 125 gr. jacketed and the 165 Ranch Dog, typically under 25 yards.
    I have the 165 RD but never tried it in my 300 BLK. I just didn’t think it would feed properly. Are you using an AR15 or a bolt action?
    And if you are using an AR15 would you mind sharing your load details?
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

I friend has hunted with his AR 300 BO for three years, with subsonic ammo.
    Every one was DRT because he knew his limitations and those of his gun, and carefully placed the shot in the high shoulder/lung/spine spot. bang flop.
    If you do your homework and use your head, the 300 BO is plenty for deer.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    I actually believe the 300 BO and 300 Whisper is the same thing. But I could be wrong.

I disagree that an accurate sub-sonic round like the BO fires could easily be developed in the 7.62x51 and have it capable of cycling a semiautomatic rifle.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Law enforcement? It was my understanding that it was originally designed for a supposed need by various military entities. It came from the .300 Whisper originally. I'm not so sure that it ever met those supposed needs though.

I still think that it would not have become as popular if AR-10 receivers and such had not been so much more expensive than AR-15 ones. The .300AAC doesn't do anything that the AR-10 couldn't do other than give a few more rounds in the same magazines. You can always load a 7.62x51 subsonic and get the equivalent of the .300AAC, but you can't load the .300AAC to the point of a full power 7.62x51.
    Not sure how easy it would be to get an Ar-10 in 308 to cycle a subsonic round

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I actually believe the 300 BO and 300 Whisper is the same thing. But I could be wrong.

I disagree that an accurate sub-sonic round like the BO fires could easily be developed in the 7.62x51 and have it capable of cycling a semiautomatic rifle.

Motor
    Close enough to the same really. Chamber and cartridge dimensions are almost identical but not exactly the same on all dimensions.(we are talking less than half a thousandths difference on most dimensions) The .300whisper was first and AAC copied it creating the .300blackout. The .300whisper is a CIP cartridge and the .300blk is SAAMI. The best brass to use for making both is .221 rem fireball brass, it is the actual parent case. Just so many variations in .223/5.56 brass due to the very large number of manufacturers.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I have the 165 RD but never tried it in my 300 BLK. I just didn’t think it would feed properly. Are you using an AR15 or a bolt action?
    And if you are using an AR15 would you mind sharing your load details?
    11.5 barrel CVA Scout II pistol kills. Near max loads of 110/296 for the jacketed and 15.7 of Reloder 7 for the RD.

I use that same 15.7 Rel 7 for both the Lee 155 and the NOE 310-196 Elco (crayon looking thing) in my AR's and am VERY happy with them,,,,,.

A little history on the Whisper/BLK: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-aac-blackout/
    Last edited by Hamish; 12-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned
    Watch the TACSOL video on their 300 B/O SBR that is not an SBR but ------ is.

A 220 gr Sierra HPBTM is nasty even when moving subsonic.

Boolit Buddy
    I knew this would happen. Some of this has absolutely nothing to to do with the question I asked. Why do folks ruin a thread like this?

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 300 Blk out ruger ranch Compact, and a suppressor. WHY? Because i wanted it and i had the $$. I sighted it in with 130 Gr Hog Hammer Ammo. i was very impressed with the accuracy, no recoil and how light the gun was. i bought several types of factory ammo even though i had everything in a box to reload for it.
    I was still waiting for ATF to approve my suppressor took 366 days.... My 10 year old daughter says to me she wants to hunt this year. so i sighted this little gun in for 50 yards and i was shooting about 1/4 MOA, extended it to 100 yards and was Still 1/4 MOA. Say what you will but for out of the box gun and factory ammo that was impressive..
    1st Deer she Shot was a Doe at 45 yards ground level. she heart shot it, it jumped straight up and was dead about 2 feet from where she shot it. thru and thru with the Barnes 130Gr TSX. 1 hour later she shoots a 4 point at 75 yards heart shot quartering to us. deer was dead in 40 yards good blood trail.
    1 month later on Her Birthday we were in the same stand and a 5 point came out at 140 yards, i kept telling her to wait for it to get closer. at 110 yards she waited no longer and Stone cold dropped him with a quartering to Heart Shot. This gun is not and will not be my 1st choice going to the woods to hunt with but i have confidence if i needed to use it it will get the job Done.
    Great Choice for a CHILD, Elderly, or anyone with physical limitations it is Exceptional Gun/round that gets the job done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caiti.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	211289

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for your input.

BigRed that little girl and her little gun just answered the question!
    Placement = meat. I'm sitting in a sand wash by the creek waiting for a big buck, pigs, or the rain. My gun is my .300 BO with 125 Speer tnt. It's the last day of regular season so here I am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Popped another little buck this morning. Neck shot, fell dead in its tracks. Barnes bullets (gotta finish the box��), exited off side and continued to break left foreleg. Was feeding when I shot, facing me at 96 yards.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    For those with fragmentary knowledge of the Whisper/Blackouts history, another tidbit,,,,

https://www.fogammo.com/blogs/news/3...rical-timeline

(There really is nothing new under the Sun)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I have killed 3 hogs and one deer with my 300 BLK Handi rifle. I used the 125gr NBT for the hogs (one over 200lbs) and the 130gr Barnes TSX (300BLK specific bullet) in the Rem Hog Hammer line. I have had great accuracy with a PC'd RD 165 and will hunt with it next year, given the chance. My powders of choice are H110 and IMR 4227.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    About three years ago one of my friends took a deer with a .300 Blackout shooting a Hornady 125 grain JSP bullet at ~2100 FPS MV. The shot was taken from about 50 yards and he put it through both lungs, but a bit high. The deer ran, and since it was almost closing time and getting dark quickly, we did not recover it until the next morning.

Thankfully, there was a little snow on the ground to aid tracking. There was very little blood trail even though there was an exit wound. We found the downed deer after about 400 yards. It had bled out internally but took all night to expire; it was still warm when we found it. When field dressed there was a massive amount of blood in the chest cavity.

It might have performed better if the shot was lower, or it might just have been an extra tough deer. Who knows? We were underwhelmed with the performance, however.

Boolit Master

I built a 300BO just for hunting Deer in a thicket on my son in laws parents property. So far it's accounted for 3 deer, all were shot at under 100 yards with a 130 Speer flat nosed bullet intended for the 30-30. It works fine in that situation but I wouldn't want to push it much past 125 yards.

Boolit Buddy

My teenage kids have take 7 deer with the 300BO. Most were taken with a 125 gr Hornady SST and one with a Barnes TAC-TX 110 gr (obviously all were supersonic). We have never failed to recover a deer shot with this round. In fact we nicknamed it "the deer hammer."
    So if you can shoot as well as a 13 year old girl...it's more than enough gun!

Barnes makes a purpose built 110 gr bullet for the 300 BO. You can push it plenty fast to kill deer & hogs. Being a Barnes it will punch thru and kill very dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    this.
    I have been watching a guy chronicle his [deer/pig] hunting with this bullet for a couple of years now.
    keeping your shots to reasonable ranges [much like using a cast boolit] will provide the results you seek.
    his pictures and story's are showing the round to be very capable within the rounds limits.
    Zuess/Glenn on the Single Actions forum killed a nice deer with this bullet fired from a 30 Herrett/Handgun combo. DRT.

The bullet absolutely makes the difference. My old hunting buddy bought a 270 Weatherby for a combo muley/antelope hunt in Wyoming, paid a guide to take him out... the whole nine yards.

He shot an antelope at about 85 yards and it trotted off. The bullet didn't penetrate past the rib bone. The guide shot it to keep it from running off to be lost. Grover finished the rest of the hunt with his handy 30-06 Browning A-Bolt.

He called me when he got back and said he needed a 340 Weatherby for his upcoming elk hunt. I told him he went cheap on his ammo when he bought the PMC made 270 Wby ammo. I bought him 2 boxes of Weatherby factory ammo loaded with the 150 grain Nosler Partition. When he got back from the hunt with a monster elk he paid me back for the Weatherby ammo and said I saved him the cost of a rifle he didn't need. One shot, DRT.... didn't even take a step.
    Last edited by dougader; 01-23-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123