Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: First Bushy Tail Of The Season

Boolit Master

First Bushy Tail Of The Season

Saturday was opening day. I spent it at a family event but got out with my pointer for pheasant in the afternoon. No dice, I hear the morning was full of people in the stocking areas and we didn't find any of the leftovers with our limited time.
    So out for squirrel this morning.
    I've been using the two quarter method for calling them in and though I'm not an avid squirrel hunter I do get out half a dozen times every year. I have to say that the quarters calm the woods down and bring in wildlife in no time.
    I used to sit for about 20 minutes before the woods would calm down and maybe 30 or so minutes in I would see a bushy tail. With the quarters it seems almost instantly that birds work their way back in and the squirrels are soon behind them.
    It's still early in the season and the trees are loaded with leaves and the ground is still covered in ferns and saplings so it's not the easiest time to hunt. I did manage one squirrel right off the bat and watched 2 more playing around at separate times. I didn't have all morning so I called it quits.
    I forget how much I enjoy hunting the little buggers.
    When I cleaned it (boy I can tell I haven't done this in a long time) I did bump my hand into it's teeth and was worried I cut myself. a quick rinse under soapy water revealed no damage done. That got me thinking and I will probably be cutting the heads and feet off right off the bat to stay away from potential hazards. I'm not sure but I bet a scrape with those teeth could be hazardous to your health?
    I'll be on youtube tonight brushing up on my Tail method skinning process for sure.
    I rushed so I didn't get any pictures but I'll update the thread this week some more I hope.
    Oh and I used my new Stevens 301 in .410 with a modified choke and 11/16oz of #6s. We can't use rifles or pistols in this part of the state which stinks but I do like the handy little .410 for squirrels anyway.
    Hope you're all having a good season so far.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you had a good time and are gonna get a pan dirtied up! All in a good hunt, and 410s are fun. I have a little Yildiz folder I like to wander the farm with. Nice to just go out and see what you can find and build the menu from there. I always cut the feets , tail and heads off all my squirrels first. Then I slit the skin half way down the back, slip in a finger from each hand and pull apart. The holes left in the skin from removing the head and tail give another place to slip a finger to finish the shucking. After they are all skinned I slit from end to end and remove the innards, my cat likes to help on occasion. I also remove the under arm gland at this time, Granny said it keeps them from being gamey.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I wish I had a little more land to walk around. The “farm” is only 5 acres and doesn’t give too many opportunities to walk up on stuff but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying what I have.
    I’ll have to give that method a try. Thank you!

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68CD8E02-ACA8-4712-AF19-EF6DAF3605BF.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	250191

Number 2 and 3.
    Looks like squirrel is on the menu for dinner.
    Any favorite recipes?

Boolit Master
    https://practicalselfreliance.com/tr...runswick-stew/
    I got two in the oven as I type this!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Thanks!

I have to ask, what is the two quarter method?
    I love squirrel hunting and the 410 is the best shotgun for the purpose in my view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nice greys! Back home we would take 2 and 3 pounders all the time. Down here in South Texas I have a bunch of reds that might push 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Still plenty good for the pot!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have to ask, what is the two quarter method?
    I love squirrel hunting and the 410 is the best shotgun for the purpose in my view.

You use 2 quarters either tapping them together, grinding them on their flats, or rubbing their edge across each other to make a sound like a squirrel cutting a nut or acorn. I've heard this does two things. It will calm down the woods and bring back a natural sound after you disturbed it on the walk in, which will make animals feel safe and bring them back to the area faster. I also hear that if a squirrel is playing hide and go seek in a tree that this will often make them pop their head out to see what's going on or it makes the aggressive dominant males start calling out. That's what happened with the larger of the two from last night.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynick39 View Post
    Nice greys! Back home we would take 2 and 3 pounders all the time. Down here in South Texas I have a bunch of reds that might push 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Still plenty good for the pot!
    Nice! I don't see reds near me but we do have them close to home, also black squirrels down on cape cod. I was always told the red squirrels were not good eating due to their pine cone diet. I recently read that this is not the case and they are just as good as grays.

I'll have four bits with me next time I walk the pecan bottom with my .22- thanks for the tip!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'll have four bits with me next time I walk the pecan bottom with my .22- thanks for the tip!

You’re welcome. Let me know how it works for you.
    When I started squirrel hunting 10 or 12 years ago a buddy of mine had told me about using a a small home made call. Basically a comb like object cut out of a thing flat piece of bone. You would use another small piece of bone to run across it. Same idea but primitive.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 250622

That’s my first one this year

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I wish I had a little more land to walk around. The “farm” is only 5 acres and doesn’t give too many opportunities to walk up on stuff but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying what I have.
    I’ll have to give that method a try. Thank you!
    Plant a acre of it in pecan trees. You will wind up feeding ALL the squirrels for miles and miles.

When I started hunting I shot a lot of squirrels with and old Stevens double barrel .410. When I got old enough to buy a pistol, I hunted them with a model 29 SW loaded with very light .44 spl loads.