Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accurate .308 boolit

accurate .308 boolit

In your opinion, what would be considered the most accurate boolit for the .308 for target shooting?

Depends on what distance and at what speed you are looking at. My best has always been the Lyman 311291 GC

Boolit Master

You’re going to get a lot of different answers... mine so far has been 311299, but I’ve had good luck with my new NOE 188 Hunter
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I Think fit is usually more important than boolit design. That said the old 311284 is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I Think fit is usually more important than boolit design. That said the old 311284 is a good one.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    The bullet has to fit your throat. That being said, I have had good luck with the NOE 30 Hunter PB at around 1300fps and have also had good luck with the 30 XCB at over 2600fps. It depends on what you want the load to do.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

My purpose is target shooting. I do not intend to shoot at a deer or other animal, so penetration and expansion are not issues. I understand the boolit must fit the barrel, and will probably be fired touching the lands. I am not leaning towards any particular weight or boolit shape, so I am open to learn what others have found to be successful in their rifles. By the way, mine has a 1:10 twist.

Boolit Master
    NOE's version of the Saeco #315, all are copies of an earlier Eagan mold, a top notch benchrest bullet and very accurate in my .308 using VV133 powder.

Boolit Master
    I will also recommend the Saeco 315 also,it is my most used bullet in 30 calibers. The Saeco version's bands increase in dia. at each band, which I believe helps center it in the bore. NOE's version in plain base is on my wish list ,it would be cheap fun with about 10 grs Red Dot or Herco.

Banned

All going to depend on your throat. How short or long it is. Some makers are all over the map on where the throat is at. Just ask Waco. I think his Remington had a REALLY long throat when others have reported having a very short throat.

Savages tend to run very short. Remington can be anywhere. Ruger tend to run long. Winchester can not say I have never dealt with one.

Boolit Master
    It all depends on what your rifle likes. I have a Rem 308 that loves 160 gr RNGC's at 1900 fps with groups under .8 with quick burning powder (2400). On the other hand, I have a Mossberg 308 with a short barrel that doesn't like anything under 180 gr that have to be pushed over 2000 fps with much slower burning powder (3031). There are few rules to this adventure you are embarking on. Sometimes you get lucky with the right combo on the first day and with another rifle it may take dozens of sessions. Either way it is great fun to discover.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 02-08-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Master

From what I have on hand, for strictly paper punching, my first choice would have to be Arsenal's 309-188RN GC- PC. This is a bore-rider designed for PC (no lube grooves) that finishes (coated w/GC) at 195 gr from my alloy. Kind of a PITA because the nose has to be sized in a separate operation but, IMO, performance is worth the extra effort.

Attachment 234851

200-yard 10-shot group from Savage M10 (24" fluted barrel) measures 2 3/4" x 2 3/4". Note: photo, for some reason, rotated 90 deg. left when uploaded so group is actually centered about 3" above POA.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    most gc boolits around 160gr shoot fine in my savage

Banned

I'm embarking on a similar project with a push feed Model 70 heavy varmint. Shooting jacketed through it now, was brand new when I got it and I want to do a few jacketed first.

I plan to start with some 311466 bullets my dad had cast up for me, but I have quite a few .30 molds to work with. In my experience, that 311466 has been a good shooter in several rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasbilly View Post
    My purpose is target shooting. I do not intend to shoot at a deer or other animal, so penetration and expansion are not issues. I understand the boolit must fit the barrel, and will probably be fired touching the lands. I am not leaning towards any particular weight or boolit shape, so I am open to learn what others have found to be successful in their rifles. By the way, mine has a 1:10 twist.
    Since target shooting is what you're interested in then may I suggest you check with the target shooters. I suggest you go over to the Cast Bullet Association site and check out the regional or national match results. There is extensive information in the match results of the bullets, alloy, loads and guns used in the competitions.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    My Savage 99 does pretty good with Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT #3037 and they aren't too bad for price.

Boolit Master
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c309-160-r.html

I have an ancient single cavity that I shoot in all of my .30 cal rifles. It shoots well and I can't complain......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

168 Hornady a-max you didn't specify cast

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Since target shooting is what you're interested in then may I suggest you check with the target shooters. I suggest you go over to the Cast Bullet Association site and check out the regional or national match results. There is extensive information in the match results of the bullets, alloy, loads and guns used in the competitions.
    Thanks for that tip, I'm going to do that.

Boolit Master

Lyman 311467

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c309-160-r.html

I have an ancient single cavity that I shoot in all of my .30 cal rifles. It shoots well and I can't complain......
    A great all around boolit. Got the same single cavity mold, I PC some to increase the diameter, still a great boolit. Works in my m14 clone quite well, I assuming around 1900 to 2000 fps.
    Good luck
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast