Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most accurate/powefull loads in you .357 rossi 92

most accurate/powerfull loads in your .357 rossi 92

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that if I attempt to use your load data in my rifle it may be unsafe. I am solely responsible for any use or miss use of your load data and only I can be held responsible for any injury that may occur.

Ok now that Ive got that out of the way. Im seeking info on your favorite boolit/ powder/ primer combo that offers the most power and accuracy in you rossi .357.

I have been shooting alot of .38s out of my rifle lately because thats the only brass i have at this time. Once I get some .357 brass I plan to get a new mold in the 158 to 180 grain range. Right now I have only 125 grain molds and will probably not push them to .357 magnum levels because with out a gas check (which I intend to avoid) they will most likely lead my rossi's barrel becasue of the increase in FPS. I want to shoot heavyer boolits so that I will be able to maintain power with the extra boolit weight at slower speeds.

Please specify boolit and mold please.

ALSO i do not plan to load to dangerous levels I just wanted you all to know that i am fully aware that some loads safe in your guns may not be safe in my guns.

Sorry for any grammatical errors.

thanks in advance guys. here are some pictures just because Im proud of her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rossi 3.jpg   rossi 6.jpg   rossi 7 and gypsy.jpg  
    Last edited by mr.jake; 04-04-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: misspelled title
    "If you have a nick-nack with a nick in it we'll knock the nick out of your nack with Brighto!" -Larry Fine

Casting on dry land...

In Remembrance

Not my loads

Important things we need to know about the .357 in a rifle.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...literature.htm

I bought my first .357 in 1956. I have experienced most of what Paco Kelly has related and more.
    The Rossi is the strongest of all the .357 lever rifles you can get.
    The rest is up to you.

Life is good
    Last edited by looseprojectile; 04-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master

I load the Lyman 358429 "Keith" 170 gr bullet in my Rossi 92 over a max load of 296/wc820 and it runs about 1650 fps. Very accurate (3-4moa) with no leading and best of all no gas chk!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

In Remembrance

mr.jake

You know of course you are going to have to graduate to gas checks eventually, don't you?
    I especially like the Ranch Dog 190 grain .360" boolit in 38 special cases crimped in the second crimp groove. I see little difference in the SAECO 180 grain RNFP.
    I like it near as well.
    Accurate #9 powder is a tad faster than H110.

Life is good

Boolit Grand Master

.357 magnum levels because with out a gas check (which I intend to avoid)

If that is your intention then you won't get;

boolit/ powder/ primer combo that offers the most power and accuracy

Sure you can load a PB'd cast bullet to the same velocities (given equal weight) that you can with aGC'd cast bullet but you won't get the accuracy with the PB'd you will get with a GC'd cast bullet at the highest, safest velocities for both.

I suggest you keep using the 125 gr cast bullet in the .38 SPL cases at a reasonable .38 SPL velocity where accuracy and no leading go together. You will find that true magnum level PB'd cast bullet loads are most often not accurate in rifles, even though they are accurate in revolvers, because they are pushed too fast in the rifle and even in 10"+ Contenders.

Then when you can get a good GC'd mould of 150 - 180 gr weight and some .357 cases and load them to magnum levels with accuracy in the M92. BTW; 358156 has always been a favorite of mine for magnum level loads in revolvers, Contenders and rifles. I wouldn't shy away from a RD WFN truncated cone design in the 160 - 170 gr range either but the bigger the bullet the longer it is and the more case capacity it eats up. All which means there is a tradeoff many times. I find my 358156s at 160 gr fully dressed make for a very balanced magnum load in revolvers, Contenders or rifles.

Larry Gibson

Banned

i am glad i read this, i didn't know i needed those other 150 fps.
    i guess i'll just plug along at 1600 with my 180's.
    or use the 44 or 45 wait those are only going that fast too.
    nevermind.
    forget i posted this.

Boolit Mold
    I have one of these rifles (Rossi 92 357 mag). I always wondered why it had such a slow twist rate,
    1 in 30 compared to 1 in 16 if I remember correctly in the Marlin and most revolvers.
    I have never seen this discussed and would be interested in any thoughts or theories. I have found
    mine likes 158 grain boolits driven as fast as I can safely push them. I have tried 125 gr jacketed 357 and many 38 loads 110, 125, 158 jacketed or cast all of which tend to keyhole at about 25yds. I worked with 180 & 200gr with as much lil gun as I felt safe with. The loads stabilized but did not group well.

I've just started working with the Lee 125 over 15.5 grains of 2400. With a Checkmaker plain base GC, it's a nice load. No chrono, but I would estimate 1,900 FPS, or in that neighborhood.

I read that Paco Kelly article post listed is post #2, it got me started working with lighter bullets and higher velocities. I don't hunt, but target shoot and plink, so it's all for fun. The 125 in 357 brass with light loads is the most accurate load so far. The 15.5 load isn't flushed out and I haven't had a chance to try it at a distance, initially it seems accurate.

That same article got me interested in the 110 grain jacketed bullets at 2,400fps. He so just for fun I worked up a design for a 110 grain GC mould, designed for the Rossi chamber & throat. Just for fun, when funds permit...

After working on some other designs, a 150 grain FN seems like a great sweet spot for this gun. At least on paper.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    I've just started working with the Lee 125 over 15.5 grains of 2400. With a Checkmaker plain base GC, it's a nice load. No chrono, but I would estimate 1,900 FPS, or in that neighborhood.
    I've put hundreds of the Lee 125 through my short barreled Rossi lever. It is ideal for plinking and I haven't had any problems with key holing out to 50 yards. I've gone from mild loads of Bullseye starting about 3.0 grs up to hot loads in 357 brass using 2400.

My results with hot loads using the 125 gr Lee were dismal at best. Using the Lyman 38156 or a 160 gr RCBS did remarkably better accuracy wise at higher velocities.

For the most part my Rossi is a range toy and tin can killer and Lee's 125 with mild to medium loads does exactly what I want it to do. My granddaughter and petite daughter in law love shooting it. The mild to medium loads with Lee's 125 keeps recoil mild and light loads of Bullseye keep the report comfortable. I rarely shoot it beyond 50 yards. If I were to get serious with the Rossi using it for small game hunting like coyote or Javalina. I'd opt for a heavier boolit in 357 brass.

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    I've put hundreds of the Lee 125 through my short barreled Rossi lever. It is ideal for plinking and I haven't had any problems with key holing out to 50 yards. I've gone from mild loads of Bullseye starting about 3.0 grs up to hot loads in 357 brass using 2400.

My results with hot loads using the 125 gr Lee were dismal at best. Using the Lyman 38156 or a 160 gr RCBS did remarkably better accuracy wise at higher velocities.

For the most part my Rossi is a range toy and tin can killer and Lee's 125 with mild to medium loads does exactly what I want it to do. My granddaughter and petite daughter in law love shooting it. The mild to medium loads with Lee's 125 keeps recoil mild and light loads of Bullseye keep the report comfortable. I rarely shoot it beyond 50 yards. If I were to get serious with the Rossi using it for small game hunting like coyote or Javalina. I'd opt for a heavier boolit in 357 brass.
    Sounds like we have some similar experience. 5.4 grains of Unique or 3.5 of 700X are very accurate too.

For the 125's and 2400, did you use gas checks? It seems to make a difference with the magnum loads in the rifle, like Larry Gibson mentioned.

Of course, the 358429 is a great heavier bullet, but it doesn't feed in all of the Rossi's. It did my prior one, but not this one...
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I was not aware that GC's affect accuracy?? Well dang. I suppose I will have to give pat marlin some buisness at some point. I just hate to add another step. Ile try to get by with plain base for the time being. Alos thanks for the link loose projectile . Just so you guys know ive been shooting my 124&125's over 6.0 grains of aa#5. The 125's seem to be alot more accurate. I didnt do any serious testing just something i noticed shooting at cans and such. Still open to sugestions so keep them coming fellas. I realize its a tall order though lol
    "If you have a nick-nack with a nick in it we'll knock the nick out of your nack with Brighto!" -Larry Fine

Casting on dry land...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    For the 125's and 2400, did you use gas checks? It seems to make a difference with the magnum loads in the rifle, like Larry Gibson mentioned.
    Honestly don't know about using it with gas checks. After reading an Ebay seller back when we could still sell the good stuff. The seller was using and RCBS bullet puller to swage down the base of many flat based castings. I spent a few hours doing the same more for curiosity sake. I do recall squeezing down and gas checking some flat based 357 castings but can't recall if the Lee 125 was among the batch. In summary I discovered the bullet puller collet did squeeze down the base to fit a gas check but I achieved absolutely nothing as far as any improvement at the range on paper. If I had seen any improvement with any of the swagged down flat based castings I would have played around with it a bit more.
    Last edited by azrednek; 04-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Never tried that approach. I have the plainbase Checkmaker from Pat Marlins, it's amazing. But I'm looking to get his regular Checkmaker too, for GC bullets.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jake View Post
    I was not aware that GC's affect accuracy??
    I've seen major accuracy improvements using gas checks with less than perfect barrels. I used to have several of the Brazilian surplus 1917 S&W 45 revolvers. Using a 452191 or possibly the number is 452491, anyhow it was a 225gr SWC GC. It shot very good in the worn and pitted bores when a flat base both home cast and store-bought would be all over the target. I've seen similar improvements in some mil-surp 7 and 8MM's with rough bores. My 1970's Marlin Glenfield 30/30 shoots tighter groups with a 170 Lee FN gas checked boolit. With the exception of my old 30/30 I can't recall a significant improvement in accuracy with a gas check compared to a non gas checked boolit in a good bore. I've heard and let me emphasize "heard" gas checks improve the shot to shot accuracy considerably in Marlin's Micro-Groove barrels.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Marlin shoots very well with the Mihec 360640 HP with a healthy charge of WC 820.

I have not found another bullet that shoots even close as well in my rifle.

Boolit Master
    Both of my 16" Rossi .357s shoot well with the Lee 158 grain RNFP and one of Paco's less than max loads of 2400. I've got BSA 2x20 pistol/scout scopes on them and they bust clay birds at 100 yards with no problem. The Lee 158 GC boolit shoots just as well in one of them, but won't feed in the other. I haven't shot over 50 rounds at a time of the first boolet, but have had no leading problems and these are almost new barrels with no polishing or such extra efforts.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the classic load out of my 92. A 38 case loaded with 13.5 grains of 2400 behind a lyman358429. It feeds slick enough in mine. Work the lever like it is meant to be worked! Quickly, like someone is shooten back at ya. I tryed the ranch dog and it work GREAT in 38 cases loaded to the longer crimp groove. I just don't like adding a gas check when it is not really needed. I don't have leading with the "classic" load.

Boolit Grand Master

OP asked for; Im seeking info on your favorite boolit/ powder/ primer combo that offers the most power and accuracy in you rossi .357.

With 150 - 160 gr cast bullets you can safely push to right at 1800 fps from a 20" rifle barrel. with 170 gr cast you can sneak up on 1700 fps and 1600fps with 180 gr cast. Lots of loads for all of those in Lyman's #4 Cast Bullet Handbook. I'm sure you can push close to 1900 maybe 2000 fps with a 125 gr cast bullet since I do that with jacketed out of a 10" Contender. That certainly answers the "most power" part of the OP's question.

Now as to the "accuracy" part of the question; If the OP really wants accuracy other than "just something i noticed shooting at cans and such" then he'll need a GC'd bullet at those velocity levels. However, shooting "cans and such" at even out to 50 yards does not really require any degree of accuracy from the load or rifle so PB'd cast will probably suffice. He can back off those loads with well cast PB'd cast bullets of appropriate alloy and get very good accuracy also. That will generally be below 1500 fps. Nothing wrong with those loads other than they don't answer the OP's question.

If the OP wants the best accuracy from his rifle at those top end listed safe velocity levels then he will need a GC'd cast bullet.....or stick with jacketed bullts.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

.357Mag carbine

Mr. J -

Howdy !

14.5gr WW296 ( H110, same thing ) and SP Mag primer; under any Lyman SWC of 158-172gr. Don't have to be gas checks.

Worked superbly in my 1894SC, and worked/ works superbly in my
    S & W "N" frames of 4,5, & 6"..

Regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    OP asked for; Im seeking info on your favorite boolit/ powder/ primer combo that offers the most power and accuracy in you rossi .357. Larry Gibson
    Sorry if I got side-tracked from the OP's question. It was my intention after seeing the Lee 125 mentioned along the way. In my experience the Lee 125 was not a good choice in my Rossi for max loads but is absolutely superb for plinking loads. For max loads I'd go with something heavier and my best results were with the Lyman 38156 (providing you're lucky enough to get one that doesn't drop under-sized) or the similar flat base RCBS if one wants to avoid using gas checks. I don't recall the number of the RCBS mold. Castings were dropping about 160 and I launched them with some hefty loads of 2400, heavy crimp and mag primers. Using Jake's Red I didn't see any leading.

Just sharing my experience and I'm not encouraging anybody to try it. I believe some Rossi rifle only or H&R single shot rifle only 357 loads could be developed with extreme care and caution making certain the loads are never used in a revolver. Unfortunately if I or anybody else share the numbers. Somebody will likely stick it in a Model 19 or even worse a Rossi 357 revolver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast