RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting hot glue boolits

Boolit Grand Master
    UTK,
    You can call it injection molding, casting or just squirtin' glue in a mold, whatever suits you.

Scottie,
    Not sure, but I think somebody already brought that up. If the mold is bought and used EXCLUSIVELY for making gluelits, I'm thinkin' it won't be a problem as there's no heat to deal with. HOWEVER, if you were to use the mold for lead and glue, now THAT might be a problem. 'Coarse, there's always carburetor cleaner.

By the way, y'all, they're called GLUELITS. Got it? Who says? I just said it!

Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

What I need to know is that there doesn't appear to be an agreed upon official name for these semi translucent and somewhat flexible projectiles. Is it Gloolit, Gluelit, Glueblits or something else

So far as R&D goes. Has anyone tried casting these things while the mould is sitting in a pan of chilled water, or does the glue set up too fast in the mould cavity that way?

..............Buckshot

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure some of my fellow NAGS will let me know if I am ....I feel that all nomenclature is correct, as long as it leads to fun, fun, and fun, and cheap, cheap, and cheap...and is quite possibly a geographical dialection of descriptive terminology.............they can be ever what y'all are comfortable with .......
    and if you accept the nomination, I'm sure VP R&D will welcome the assist & information you glean from your efforts..........
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Red face

...............my bad .....I just saw the R&D post..............they be GLUELITS........I stand corrected............
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Pam

with the pam i found that the temp was low enough that it didnt get sticky. basically spray, wipe off excess, and drop maybe 4 or 5 sets, then repeat. at teh end all you have to do is to wash it off with dishsoap. then treat them like a normal mold

Boolit Grand Master
    Jballs,
    Now THAT'S the kind of mindset that's needed in R&D! Experiment, document and report. Did I mention we have some openings? The position is very lucrative!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    UTK,
    Scottie,
    Not sure, but I think somebody already brought that up. If the mold is bought and used EXCLUSIVELY for making gluelits, I'm thinkin' it won't be a problem as there's no heat to deal with. HOWEVER, if you were to use the mold for lead and glue, now THAT might be a problem. 'Coarse, there's always carburetor cleaner.

By the way, y'all, they're called GLUELITS. Got it? Who says? I just said it!

Sincerely,

ok, gluelits they be!! thanks for the response on the PAM - just would have hated to see peoples molds ruined....I wonder if that carbuerator cleaner would work on my baking pans.....
    what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to while lies within us - emerson

dont think that would be so well. it seems that the pam only geets really sticky if it heated up, or burned off a pan. but please remember this is just from what i have done in the kitchen. one thing i did notice with one of my molds was a bit of gulling it that is what it is called. but i looked and i have a burr on my spure plate

Boolit Grand Master
    "But I looked and I have a burr on my spure plate"

A burr on the sprue plate!? That's terrible!! Now, ya' gotta throw the whole thing away! This is horrible!!

Send it to me and I'll decomm it for you.

shotgun slugs...

Ladies and germs,
    I've been following this post for about 10 days and got hooked. Problem is , for some reason I could log in but I couldn't post!
    I cast some for my .41 mag with my Lee 210 swc, some for the 30/30 from my Lee 170 GC and some for my triple duece from my Bator mould. Haven't tried the 30/30 yet.
    I found that if you 'smoke' the mould cavity every 3 times you cast, the bullets come out much easier. Use a small votive candle and hold the mould open, close over the wick until it's all sooty inside. Do the same to the sprue plate, top side. I use the sprue plate just like casting lead.
    If you use 2 moulds and rotate to let one set up, it makes it much nicer to do. I just let them room cool.
    I HAVE TRIED SLUGS. No joy. I use a high temp gun but the stuff sets up before it fills the bottom of the mould. Oh, it's a Lee 1 oz.
    I drilled out the holes on some 41 mag brass and used WLRM primers. I used gun oil (was handy) and just rolled some between my fingers on the gluelit, stuffed it in the case, primed it and at 25 feet, it went through 1 layer of corrugated, and 93 pages of the magazine inside the box!
    Same system with the 222. Used WSR primers, lube, stuff, prime, shot through the whole she-bang and stuck to momma's rockin' chair, at which time she came home and caught me! It was NOT pretty! (still alive though)
    I used NO CRIMP on any loads, unsized cases.
    I found that you need to leave a sprue just like lead, only not as big, otherwise you get hollow-bases.
    Hope this helps the R&D Dept.
    sledge
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Boolit Grand Master

For shotguns cut the case off just below the crimp. Then seat a plastic wad upside down over the shotgun primer. That's all there is to it. On double guns you may notice that the barrles tend to cross and this is normal as there is no recoil to bring the barrle in line.

Boolit Buddy
    Hot Glue. I dunno about that one, but it looks like you guys are making it work.

I shot literally thousands of "Red Jet" wax bullets back in my youth. They were cheap fun indoors, especially with the 1/4 inch piece of lexan in front of the TV...

Now, where did the wife leave her damn glue gun?

B.

Boolit Master

I've shot wooden dowls,plasic plugs and other stuff out of my pistols with just a primer. The next door people never even look out the window any more when i shoot. MMMMMmmm a glue boolit, sounds fun. How about one with a little lead shot in them for weight and a magnum primer.

Boolit Bub

I'm really puzzled

You guys got me really puzzled. I've been reloading for fourty years and seen, used and heard of bullets of all kind, lead, copper, brass, zinc, plastic and much more. Forgive my ignorance. What are glue bullets? how are they made? are any special tools needed? I'M REALLY PUZZLED!

Super Moderator

..............Did you read the thread? Do a search for Gluelits, or glulits and you'll get more. ALso check Classics and Stickies.

Basicly 2 ways to make them. One is fire up the hot glue gun and inject the hot glue into the mould cavities. Second is easy if you have a caliber to fit. Hot glue sticks come in various diameters. One is .450". The ones I bought mike about .450" to .452". Use a razor knife or some setup to slice the cold glue sticks into suitable length WC's. Say 1/2" for 45 cal? SPray with moly lube, stick in a 45 Colt case (primer only) and fire.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub

Thanks BUCKSHOT

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............Did you read the thread? Do a search for Gluelits, or glulits and you'll get more. ALso check Classics and Stickies.

Basicly 2 ways to make them. One is fire up the hot glue gun and inject the hot glue into the mould cavities. Second is easy if you have a caliber to fit. Hot glue sticks come in various diameters. One is .450". The ones I bought mike about .450" to .452". Use a razor knife or some setup to slice the cold glue sticks into suitable length WC's. Say 1/2" for 45 cal? SPray with moly lube, stick in a 45 Colt case (primer only) and fire.

..............Buckshot
    You're right I hadn't read the thread carefully, now I understand what it is about. I'll go to the sites You mentioned.

Been reading through these "gluelit" threads. I am thinking about trying some. For you guys using molds to cast them, do you use the sprue cutter like normal?
    Anyone tried using Lee tumble lube on them for lube?
    How far are they accurate in say, a 38 or 357? Would they be accurate enough for indoor Bullseye shooting (50 ft.)?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123