Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Crisco???? Nahhh! Bacon fat!!!
    Yep! Or lard

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I grew up on Corned Beef, take the left overs grind by hand add potatoes some carrots mix well and fry till crisp on the bottom.
    jim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    I grew up on Corned Beef, take the left overs grind by hand add potatoes some carrots mix well and fry till crisp on the bottom.
    As a kid when beef was always on the table mom would cook a couple large roasts with potatoes carrots onions .celery. and the left over was ground up in the hand cranked meat grinder. And she fried up the hash she made. Almost better that way than as a roast .

Moderator Emeritus

I often hand chop leftover roast beef and the roasted potatoes and carrots to make hash. Add some fresh chopped onion and garlic, salt, leftover gravy to smother it...

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    As a kid when beef was always on the table mom would cook a couple large roasts with potatoes carrots onions .celery. and the left over was ground up in the hand cranked meat grinder. And she fried up the hash she made. Almost better that way than as a roast .

What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I often hand chop leftover roast beef and the roasted potatoes and carrots to make hash. Add some fresh chopped onion and garlic, salt, leftover gravy to smother it...
    Now we're cookin' with gas!

Moderator Emeritus

Leftover roast beef hash tonight!

Boolit Master
    OMG I just read thru this whole thread, its hard to tell which has more slobbers right now me or my olde English mastiff he just tried to lick the screen of my computer when the picture plate came up! I'm starving to death already. for the love of god, please stop posting these food threads I'm gonna be 700lbs just from reading and looking at them!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    A can of the Hormel Hash, a small can of mushrooms, a small can of green chiles, 10 large eggs or more,size of hash can and frying pan determine egg count, a hanfdful of grated chess, a couple spoons of dark chile, a couple spoons of paprika, other spices you like, cook and stir until all the liquid disappears, might last a day or two. Take the leftover, put it in a soft tortilla, cover with green chili and cheese for a few more meals.

Boolit Master
    AAAAAAAAhh your killin me here my dog just fainted

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    OMG I just read thru this whole thread, its hard to tell which has more slobbers right now me or my olde English mastiff he just tried to lick the screen of my computer when the picture plate came up! I'm starving to death already. for the love of god, please stop posting these food threads I'm gonna be 700lbs just from reading and looking at them!!!!!!!
    I had to go get my cholesterol checked after looking at this thread! Love corned beef in all forms.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I had to go get my cholesterol checked after looking at this thread! Love corned beef in all forms.
    Wayne
    You don't really want to know ..Wayne

In Remembrance

My wife and kids wouldn't eat it so I rarely buy a can but I have a question.
    Has anyone ever replaced the sausage in sausage gravy with a can of corn beef hash? I'm tempted, as in corned beef hash and gravy over biscuits, oh wow I can feel the arteries hardening up just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    Has anyone ever replaced the sausage in sausage gravy with a can of corn beef hash? I'm tempted, as in corned beef hash and gravy over biscuits, oh wow I can feel the arteries hardening up just thinking about it.
    Sounds crazy enough to work...

Boolit Buddy
    Hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    Guess what I'm going to do this weekend
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

In Remembrance

Ok, I did it finally and it didn't turn out too bad for as ugly as it looked.
    I'm not in the know for homemade biscuits or gravy so a packet of McCormick's country gravy mix worked in it's place, a can of Armour corned beef hash and a couple of Mary B's buttermilk biscuits. I just heated the hash in a sauce pan and made the gravy while the biscuits were in the oven. When it was all done I just poured the hash in the gravy, mixed it up and poured over the biscuits.
    Like I said it didn't look real appetizing but it was pretty tasty with a dash of pepper. Maybe next time I will fry the hash until crispy then put in the gravy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1395.jpg  

Looks ok to me. Next time, try frying it up crispy, make the gravy and biscuits, then put a good portion of hash on your plate, top with one or more over easy (or sunny side up), put biscuits beside the hash, gravy on the biscuits. Break the yolks and let it flow down into the hash. Dig in. Yum-Yum.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

In Remembrance

I will probably try the gravy on the biscuits and crispy hash on top with scrambled eggs on the side, runny yokes don't agree with me.

Nuttn' wong with that, I like good scrambled eggs. You eat what you like, how you like it cooked. Except good steak, then anything cooked more than medium should just be used to sole your shoes
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Picture made my mouth water, Lead-1!

So I've been making CBH the same way for 30+ years. Dump the can into a skillet, sprinkle some black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder on it and fry 'til crispy. Not bad. As much fat as there already is in the can, it never occurred to me to add MORE fat until about a couple of weeks ago. That's when I put some butter in the skillet and then fried it. Talk about a transformation from delicious to bliss!

I'd been doing it wrong all this time and never even knew it!

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast