Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Swag-O-Matic press coming

In Remembrance

Swag-O-Matic press coming

Hope I don't tick anyone here off (by scooping the press), but I managed to grab a Swag-O-Matic press of FleaBay last weekend, and it comes with 357/.38 tooling. A steal at $76!

So, I'm hoping to use this with my swaging development. I know that this originally would have been used with copper jackets that you could buy from CH. Their site shows them to no longer be available. Any tips on where one can buy copper jackets these days?

I'm specifically interested in making bullets for my 357 magnum.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I was watching it. I bought jackets from Corbins but they are a little high and they charge a lot on shipping.

Here is the online ordering link:
    http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...tore_Code=CBST

Skip

Boolit Buddy
    That press was originally intended for use with pure lead wire & half jackets.

BT Sniper broke one like that exploring it's limits, so I would stay with pure lead.

Half jackets used to be available from Hornady, but it has been decades since I bought any. I ownd one of those presses in the late '60's and it made a good bullet - but the exposed pure lead in the 44 cal was a mess in the M29, so I gave it away...

You should be able to use a reduced 9mm case that is fully annealed, especially if you want a heavy bullet. The SWC design of the original punches does not allow for turning a jacket, so the best you can do is a full length cylindrical jacket with a lead SWC nose.

B.

Boolit Buddy
    try fleebay under herters for the half jackets, just watch the price they do get up there fast.
    lead wire in the fishing supply stores for corelead.
    herters 9ton dies work but they had c-h make the top punch different i had machine shop make an adapter for mine.
    got lucky last year and found one with dies for 22 thru 45, paid 150.00 total.
    good luck with it.

Vendor Sponsor

"Exploring the Limits" Extreeme swaging at it's best! Sounds like a great line. Could be grounds for another thread all together. I Have also clamed to be a "Brass Manipulator" too

Anyway I'm not sure the difference between the "swage-O-matic" and the standard CH relaoding press of same look and design. I know mine had a shell holder and 7/8"x14TPI top to it and yep it made an apperience on Extreem Swaging.

Hope it works out Duke. No matter the outcome of all my experimenting I still enjoied it all.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

In Remembrance

Press came in today. Disappointment.

The body is cast aluminum...... Looked like cast iron in the photos, and hadn't seen anywhere that mentioned that they are cast aluminum. Not heavy weight enough to do the big swaging. Looks OK for installing some pure lead cores in half jackets, which is what it was designed for.

Have to see if I can get my hands on some of those pre-formed jackets. Then again, maybe I can use some .380 or 9mm cases as jackets for my 357 mag.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Try looking at the other corbin brothers site rce,llc bullet swaging located in phoenix , or.

Boolit Mold
    At least you have dies. I scored one over a year ago. no dies. I am making a bushing for 7/8 x 14 dies and will have to make a holder for regular reloading press shell holders. Pistol and shorter rifle bullets are the limit. The ram is short so the length is limited. Let me know how it works out. Could you detail draw and dinension the parts (especially the top punch and part in the ram)? Please advise. meerrden@comcast.net

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uncleskippy View Post
    I was watching it. I bought jackets from Corbins but they are a little high and they charge a lot on shipping.

Here is the online ordering link:
    http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...tore_Code=CBST

Skip
    WOW! your %100 right They are pricy! for $5 more I can but the same amount of Nosler jacketed bullits at mid south!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance

UPDATE!

I did some tinkering with the CH press, and came up with a good use for it.

I'm able to take some micro-grooved (tumble lube) bullets for my 357 mag, and change them slightly, sizing at the same time!

I like SWC's!

I had to polish the swage die on the press (was rusty inside), and also use lube to extract the swaged lead.

But, until I can find some half jackets for this thing, CHEAP, I'll use it for this purpose.

Lots of swaging going on here in Maine!

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

DukeinFlorida,

I know this is an old post, but am wondering if the 9mm or 380 cases worked for jackets?
    I am also considering tryinf 32acp for it, as the rim is .358".
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

In Remembrance

Quick answer is NO. A resounding NO.

But, let me explain.

The Swage-O-Matic press was never intended to do jacketed bullet making using brass cases as jackets.

It as designed in the early days to make "half jacket" bullets, really just a half step above cast lead bullets. The half jackets were short/soft copper cups designed to cover just the "bearing surface" of the lead bullet. That is, the portion of the bullet that comes in contact with the lands and grooves of your barrel. And, as a consequence of that design, the nose forming abilities were extremely limited. The exposed lead tips/points were basic flat nose, or semi wad cutter designs. I simple hollow point was also possible. But, no brass bending is possible.

Keep also in mind that the press itself was constructed in ALUMINUM. So, not a lot of metal forming strength ability.

The early attempts to make either jacketed rifle or pistol bullets, as otherwise described and made with traditional swaging dies (depicted in this area, as made by BT Sniper, Corbin, Blackmon, etc) were absolute failures. All of that stuff has been sitting in a box for more than 10 years. The last time I used it was to merely reform some 147 grain 9mm RN bullets (.355") into 147 grain 38 special SWC's (.358"). I should probably just put all that stuff up for sale.

Finally, my 380 auto jacketed bullets and 9mm bullets are actually made from the front end of 223 Rem cases, per this thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-223rem-brass!

Your idea of using 9mm cases for 32 auto is also doomed to not work well.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanHoln View Post
    DukeinFlorida,

I know this is an old post, but am wondering if the 9mm or 380 cases worked for jackets?
    I am also considering tryinf 32acp for it, as the rim is .358".

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Thanks Duke.
    I should add the thing was suggesting using 32acp cases to form 9mm projectiles, not the other way around, but I see your point.

Last night I played around with it, formed some SWCs from some cast bullet rejects and turned a 147gr plated FP into a SWC just because. Still trying to figure out what I can do with this.

If I use copper gas checks and form SWCs, is the lack of a lube groove a concern?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master

The lack of a lube groove will not matter if you powder coat your bullets.
    Could be some concern if you fire naked lead boolits.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't shoot them without any lube as you may end up with some nasty leading but you should be able to tumble lube them with the Lee lube. The Swadge-o-matic makes a not so nice cast boolit look really good and makes a real nice flat even base with or without the gas check.

Boolit Master

If any of you have one of chuckbuster's cannelure tool, you may be able to get knurling wheel from him. Then you can knurl the whole bearing surface just like Hornady's HBWC. Then lube with 45-45-10 or LLA.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Or just roll them between a couple of files then lube.