RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Small rifle magnum primers

Small rifle magnum primers

Apart from CCI who makes them. Had a few FTF's today Thanks guys.
    Lead foot;

Banned

federal makes them in mag and match mag.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    Apart from CCI who makes them. Had a few FTF's today Thanks guys.
    Lead foot;
    Have to ask what they failed in? Should not have a problem with CCI's.

Boolit Master

To my knowledge only CCI and Wolf make small rifle magnum. The Wolf only has a thicker cup and not a magnum output. Remington 7 1/2 has an output like a blowtorch but is not called magnum. See link below for some VERY interesting primer output photos but they did not include CCI SRM so we cannot know what the output of that true magnum primer might be.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...mer-study.html

CCI SRM are a favorite of a significant number of target shooters using 6BR and also the new small primer Lapua Palma brass so that to me is an indication of quailty.

What round are you shooting and in what rifle?

Boolit Master
    I've been loading a full case of Varget in the .223 for years, and lately I've been shooting a lot of WC297 in the .450 Bushmaster. In both cases I've had better luck with the Rem 7 1/2s than with either of the labeled "magnum" small rifle primers. In addition to chrony results, my informal testing proceedure involves a .38 special case that's had the pocket reamed to small rifle fired with primers only in a snubby after dark.
    BD

Just keep in mind that the amount of visible flame a primer produces is not fully indicative of its power, or its ability to ignite powder. Duration of burn, speed of burn, quantity of gas, quantity of incandescent solids, pressure rise rate, and total pressure level are all factors. Moreover, some of those change with the application, to include flashhole dimensions, case volume, powder volume, powder type and the temperature of the cartridge.

Pictures are pretty. It's what the chronograph and transducer say that counts.

stephen perry

Small Rifle Primers

There is a misconception in that there are such primers that are small rifle magnum primers. Whether they are labeled magnum or not small rifle primers are designed for standard loads or match loads. The Wolf primer may be the primer some call magnum rifle as they give a noticeable pressure spike to some powders. Generally benchrest applications are where the 55,000+ psi levels can be exceeded also some varmint loads.

Remington makes the 6 1/2 and the 7 1/2. Both have been used in benchrest applications but if you start piercing primers with your 6 1/2's find out why. Usually cutting back on powder load 10 % will do the trick to allow the 6 1/2 to be used. The shape of the firing pin sometimes contributes to pierced primers. I have both but have relegated 7 1/2's for benchrest application, tougher cup not all actions will consistently set off 7 1/2 primers.

Federal makes the 205 and 205M both primers will work well with any powder combinations in the .222, 223, and their varaiants. Many benchrest shooters me being one choose the 205, cheaper same quality and easier to get, Tony Boyer our benchrest best shoots Federal 205 primers, always has.

Winchester makes the WSR this is my primer. I got off Federal and Remingtons to shoot the WSR. I use 4895,4198, 748, H322, and N133 powders in my PPC's. The WSR handles them all. To puncture one these primers you really got to work at it, it can be done. I started with 14,000 white box primers have 5,000 left. Didn't care for the blue box when they first came out, didn't seat well in my Lapua cases. Might try them again.

CCI has the 400 standard rifle primer and the BR-4. I have used the 400 in all my ..222 and .223 loading especially Cast no problems. The BR-4 came out about 73 the same year Mc Millan shot the .009 100 yd group, still the all time 100 yd single group record. The BR-4 is a match primer in the sense that over book BR loads can be shot without primer cup failure most times. Folks all primers will pierce given the pressure spike of the load, thermal conditions of the day, neck cleareance issues, and Mother Nature. Some primers might do fine in Michigan on a cool day and become destroyed the next week at Midland, Texas during barn burning heat and humidity on rare days. Learn to moderate your loads for given days at different ranges, been there done that.

The term magnum in small rifle priming, except for Wolf, generally has nothing to do with the priming compostion. Strength of the priming cup is the defining element in desinated match/magnum primers. Higher cost as in Federal and CCI will be noticeable and in Federal case availability.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR
    Last edited by stephen perry; 07-18-2010 at 09:44 AM.

i really really like the cci's ( all of them) but especially the #41's they replaced the r-p 7 1/2's that i used to use ,powder valley often has them in stock and cheaper than most everyone else

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Have to ask what they failed in? Should not have a problem with CCI's.
    Yes it's a Savage 6.5x47. Thanks for all the replys and thanks for the time ~ some real good info there.
    Lead foot;

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I will tell you that after attending the FBI Sniper School I switched to the CCI Match Primer with better down range results. The posters before me were correct in all points they hit on. Sometimes a better primer to use has a lower flame but a more controlled and even burn. This leads to better results also.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet