Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Universal Notching Die

Vendor Sponsor

Universal Notching Die

Been experimenting a bit today. What I hope to perfect is a One Step Universial Notching Die. Goal is to add XTP look-a-like notches to any bullet from 50 on down to possibly as small as .223. It should defently make short work of all my custom bullets made from brass cases with rims on it, ie. 45 and 44 and 41 from the 40 S&W and the 41 and 40s from the 9mm. It should allso work well for convential jackets. This way you will be able to notch any caliber with just the one die.

Tried it out today and it worked perfectly with bullets all ready made with the one step die in 40 and 44 cal. Take an allready formed bullet, push it into the notch die then reform in same swage die with smaller HP and you have perfect notched bullet.

Here they are, the 255 grain 44 cal and 185 grain 40 cal both notched with same die.

Good shooting,

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Brain,

That looks really interesting, and will probably end up on my "have to have" list. Let me know when you figure out a price for one.

Fred

Boolit Mold
    Hi, Brian,
    This sounds awesome. I will try to follow development of this one. i would be very interested!

Now I'm thinking

Boolit Master
    COOL! keep us posted buddy!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Been experimenting a bit today. What I hope to perfect is a One Step Universial Notching Die. Goal is to add XTP look-a-like notches to any bullet from 50 on down to possibly as small as .223. It should defently make short work of all my custom bullets made from brass cases with rims on it, ie. 45 and 44 and 41 from the 40 S&W and the 41 and 40s from the 9mm. It should allso work well for convential jackets. This way you will be able to notch any caliber with just the one die.

Tried it out today and it worked perfectly with bullets all ready made with the one step die in 40 and 44 cal. Take an allready formed bullet, push it into the notch die then reform in same swage die with smaller HP and you have perfect notched bullet.

Here they are, the 255 grain 44 cal and 185 grain 40 cal both notched with same die.

Good shooting,

BT
    Now your putting the iceing on the cake. They are gonna make the big boys take notice. Are ya ready to quit your day job?????

Boolit Mold
    could you post pics of the notching die please?

Vendor Sponsor

All sorts of possiblities with this one. Trying to keep the cost down. Only thing different between these bullet and factory is the slight squeze they put to the top of the bullet closing things up just a bit more and making the metplat slightly smaller. Figure I'll make an insert to do just this to fit this die as well. I'll take another pic of the different bullet possiblities. Wait till you see the airsoft BB enclosed in the HP.

I'll get more info and possible pics soon as I finalize design. Like the rest of my products though it will be easy to use and work in a simple reloading press.

Yes I think about quiting the day job every other day. The 9-5 really puts a hamper on the bullet inovations. If I could spend that time in the shop instead I could really have some fun but got to keep the steady income while I can. That is certainly not to say if this bullet thing takes off even more then it has I would'nt be tempted to go full time into the bullet business. We shall see. In the mean time I will continue to find ways we can make better bullets from this scrap brass.

Thanks

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Now your putting the iceing on the cake. They are gonna make the big boys take notice. Are ya ready to quit your day job?????
    Do you have somthing to offer I'm always on the look out for better employment possiblities.

I bet if I really tried and cut the rim off the bottom then soaked it in some of the used acid bath with a bit of steel to get a slight copper plating I bet I could get the look very close to a well known commercial bullet.

I'll certainly keep you all posted and probably have somthing to offer by end of year.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    I really like the idea of this die! Do keep us posted on price and availability.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

In line!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Vendor Sponsor

Took some pics of bullet made with this die during my testing.

44 amp and 40 s&w

Now here is somthing you all should like. Take a typical 44 cal bullet made from your one step die and drop an airsoft BB in the nose, next crimp in the universial crimp/notch/serrate die then reform using flat point or in this case a slightly rounded nose punch in your one step swage die. Check the cross cut how it all came together around the BB yet the BB was able to conform a bit. Imagine shooting the bullet just the way it is after it exits teh notch die. Looks pretty wicked.

Here we have all sorts of differnt nose styles by simply adjusting how much pressure we use or teh style of Hp used to close the notched HP back up again. This was after a typical 44 cal bullet from my one step dies with the big HP was notched then closed back up with smaller HPs or just closed enough to leave the hollow cavity still in place benieth it.

Well this should be a very exciting and simple die. I will be working on it and will certainly keep you all posted.

Good shooting,

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 10-15-2010 at 12:36 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

More I look at it more I can't wait to shoot a few, see what kind of expansion they get. Anyone care to venture a guess as to wether the BB filled HP will expand any better then convential HP?

More to come!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    In my testing with airsoft and 44 calboolits and a 45ACP seat die as the final step to crimp in the bb. They do expand very well and more than W/O the bb. BUT NOT NEARLY AS PURDEE AS YOURS!!
    I want that die.
    ......Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

I should have some together by end of year or sooner. Got some swage die orders as well to fill. I'll sit down and figure out a cost estamate. Maybe get some preorders. We shall see.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Interesting.

I want on the waiting list!

Fred

Boolit Master

COOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    I should have some together by end of year or sooner. Got some swage die orders as well to fill. I'll sit down and figure out a cost estamate. Maybe get some preorders. We shall see.

BT

----------------------
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    -- Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Ordered up some test products today. I should know what will work best by end of week then order up a lot. I plan on doing a few short videos or pics atleast to show just how easy it is in three step to make a perfect notched bullet.

This die will not only notch the jackets perfectly but should work for a universial sizing die as well as a simple core seat die too.

I'll keep you posted on what works best then we will need to start a preorder list so I know how much material I need to order. Goal is to have it at your door by Christmas which isn't far away.

Played with it a bit more today. It works easier and better then any of my other attempts to notch a jacket. I'm impressed to say the least. I would hope all of you will be too.

More to come.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Mold
    Awesome, Brian!
    Please put me on the waiting list too.
    I'm still saving pennies for the .40 to .45 ACP die set too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast