Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon Stopping Production of These Powders

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon Stopping Production of These Powders

Just got off the phone with Mike? at Hodgdon Powder Company. I had inquired about the rumor that they were discontinuing IMR SR4759. He stated there is going to be one more run of this powder in 2014.
    When I asked if other powders were going to be stopped he said yes.
    Here is the list:
    SR4759
    pyrodex pellets
    IMR 7625
    IMR 4007
    IMR PB
    Winchester Supreme 780
    Winchester AA Lite

This is what we had dreaded would happen after Hodgdon purchased the IMR & Win powders.

I hate to see 4759 go , thats the go to powder for alot of sillywet shooters myself included.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master

I too hate to see it go. I explained to the tech that the powder would have sold much better if Hodgdon had advertised it and published more load data for it. He did not seem to grasp that it was their own lack of commitment to the powder for it not selling. I have been using this powder since shortly after it went back into production in the 70s.
    I think Hodgdon was so involved in making new powders they neglected the older powders to the point the sales slipped. I also use PB and 7625.
    I guess I will go to the garage and load some Alliant MP300 in the 30-06 to see what it does.

Boolit Buddy

I can't believe that PB will be discontinued. Guess I'll need to find a 8lb'er or two when/if they do the last run.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Consolidation of entities always drops inventory of capital goods and associated products. Corporate IMR will go by-by. Nobody will make porous base cellulose anymore because of the expense of doing so. 4759, not a porous base, might be resurrected having the same single base speed by someone else, and maybe renamed in the process. It's my personal feeling all these speciality nomenclature powders are going away, replaced by very high volume powder and then parcelled out (modified) into "canister" specific speeds. Hodgdon appears to be nothing but a reseller of "corporate" powder. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The last word a couple of weeks ago was 'discontinued' at the end of 2014.
    I have a gut feel though that what's in retailer's stock now ... is it and no additional productions will be made and shipped to distributors during 2014

So if anyone believes these powders will be on retailers shelves in 2015 from additional production runs before December 2014 ... start whistling Dixie
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

The tech at Hodgdon did say there is a scheduled run of 4759. I did not ask about runs for the other powders as they came up at the end of our conversation.

Boolit Buddy
    4756 is not listed here.... But elsewhere. Hope it stays.

Boolit Grand Master

Bought 2 more pounds of SR4759 today. Might buy 2 more tomorrow. Store has a limit of #2 a day. Also got 1K of Win. LP primers and 400 Federal LP Mag. primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dang, 4759 is my go to powder in 338wm and 375 H&H with boolits.
    Last edited by rockrat; 01-15-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Boolit Master

Never tried any 4759, but it was on my list of powders to try. Hate to buy any now. Anything comparable out there?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I so hope that 4198 and 4895 stay on, even if one of the brands discontinues it. 4895 especially!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The last tub of H4895 I got was made in Australia.

Boolit Master
    Is 4895 a good substitute for 4759? I under stand that both are a good cast bullet powder due to it bulk. I use 4759 in my T/C 14" 30-30 for IHMSA silhouettes. I suppose I need to find another powder as a back-up. Was thinking 4895 or maybe Red Dot.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Midsouth Shooters has 8#'s of 4759 in stock 01/21/2014.
    Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Is 4895 a good substitute for 4759?
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that 4759 was initially designed as a low-density replacement powder in the 30-06 rounds used for aerial gunnery practice during WWII and, according to IMR's "Our History" page, "IMR4895 was the standard for military 30-06", so it would seem logical that they would have similar properties.

While they're both roughly in the middle of the burn rate chart, 4759 is a fair bit faster (& bulkier) than 4895, so it will never be a 1:1 substitution by weight or volume. I'm sure you could use any number of other powders, however if your goal is to duplicate the performance of 4759, I'd think 4227 or 4198 would be a closer match (both worked well for me).

Boolit Buddy

Poor old SR4759 always seems to be on the edge. How many times has it been discontinued and reintroduced?

bhn22
    I imagine it's like most things. It gets discontinued for slow sales, then people get in an uproar over it and convince the manufacturer to offer it again. When they do, nobody buys it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    I imagine it's like most things. It gets discontinued for slow sales, then people get in an uproar over it and convince the manufacturer to offer it again. When they do, nobody buys it.
    Exactly what happened here. 30 years back 4759 was the ne plus ultra for cast boolit rifle shooting. Then came the deluge of New powders, 5744 is the best, no, Varget is, no this other new powder is and the old useful standbys get left waiting at the punch bowl while the new girls get all the dances.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    4895 and red dot in the same sentence?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast