MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action?

Boolit Buddy

6.5 Grendel in a bolt action?

I am thinking about getting a 6.5 Grendel. I do not want an AR platform. Does anyone make a production bolt action rifle in this chambering with at least a 24" perferrably a 26" barrel at a reasonable price? I have looked but only found custom guns that were out of my price range.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    Does anyone make a production bolt action rifle in this chambering with at least a 24" perferrably a 26" barrel at a reasonable price?
    Two years ago at SHOT, Bill Alexander had Savage/Shaw bolt rifles on display chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

They seemed to be getting a fair amount of attention, but haven't seen them commercially offered. A phone call to the source might be worth your time.

Otherwise.....

The "bolt rifle" reamer that's out there (tighter neck dimensions) seems to be public domain - Midway even carried it for awhile.

If one was interested in a Savage, it would be an affordable way to get into a bolt gun in Grendel.

It wouldn't be a terribly expensive proposition. I'd sell the barrel for not over $340, including headspace gauge rental and bolt face modification.

For the Savage - start with a 223 late model centerfeed action for a donor rifle, it'll feed the best with the least work.

For a few dollars more....

CZ 527 has been done several times, Ruger 77's originally in PPC or 7.62x39 as well with little drama from either in feed or function. It seems like I've seen a Sako rebarreled as well, but can't recall where.

The 700's can work, the 6.8 SPC magazine box (if you can still source them) works fairly decent. Actually, if you can find a complete rifle in 6.8 SPC for conversion, it makes it pretty easy overall.

Can always do Encore barrels, I'm of the opinion that the 6.5 Grendel/358 Gremlin is too much for a Contender (maybe not a G2).

Boolit Master

Talking

Dragoon 45, what are you going to shoot out of this gun and what are you going to use it for? The reason I ask is Savage has their model 12 single shot in 6mm BR with both regular twist and a faster twist for shooting 107 grain bullets right off the shelf. The 6.5 Grendel is a nice cartridge but what are you planning to use it for jacketed or cast bullets?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Dragoon 45, what are you going to shoot out of this gun and what are you going to use it for? The reason I ask is Savage has their model 12 single shot in 6mm BR with both regular twist and a faster twist for shooting 107 grain bullets right off the shelf. The 6.5 Grendel is a nice cartridge but what are you planning to use it for jacketed or cast bullets?
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was looking over the ballistics on the cartridge and thought it might make a pretty good target rifle. Retained velocity and wind drift are very good to excellent at long ranges depending on bullet choice.

I am right handed and am looking at probable surgery on either my right shoulder or neck. Probably won't be able to shoot heavy recoiling rifles anymore if that happens. Every thing I have read says the Grendel is easy on the shoulder in addition to some pretty impressive ballistics.

I am also thinking about the 7mm-08. But long range bullet choices seem to favor the 6.5mm cartridges.

Carried an M-16/M-4 for years in the military, and am not fond of the design. A good bolt gun will probably do everything I need it to do.

Boolit Master

Talking

I have a Encore pistol with a 15" barrel in 6mm Br and it is real easy to shoot. I hope to shoot cast with it next year.

Boolit Master

There is also 260 rem. which gives you 6.5 bullet selection, and a little more power, if you so choose to use it. It also loads down easily. Another benifit is that you can make brass from .308. But, if you just want a grendel, you might as well get what you want.

Boolit Master
    Looks like Howa is coming out with some in 2016!!!

Boolit Master
    I wonder how a carcano would handle this conversion?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Your best option right now for a Grendel in a bolt gun is to get one in 7.62x39, and look for a conversion barrel. I do suggest you consider the Grendel in an AR platform though, as it was designed to fill that role.

Now, if you increase your action length to .308 then there are several options to go with. The most common would be 6.5 Creedmore, which there are a number of factory bolt action rifles in this caliber. The .260 Remington would be the next most common, followed by the 6.5x47 Lapua. From a reloading perspective, the 6.5x47 Lapua is the real gem of the bunch. It has the greatest level of versatility, particularly for the reloader, and the brass lasts the longest. The 6.5 Lapua is just the best made cartridge from the ground up.

Boolit Master

I'll go ahead and revive an old thread..

Ruger makes the American in 6.5Grendel AND it takes AR mags...
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    I'll go ahead and revive an old thread..

Ruger makes the American in 6.5Grendel AND it takes AR mags...
    And I will getting one to go along with my Howa Mini in Grendel.

Boolit Buddy
    the only advantage of Grendel over 260 rem and 6.5 creedmoore is that its small enough to be used in the ar-15 platform. Otherwise you give up way more than you gain. My thoughts, worth the price paid

Boolit Master
    And and and, you can shoot it in a very light weight bolt action designed to shoot the. 223 Rem !

O, and it'll kill a whitetail just as dead as a .260 at the range that 98% of them are harvested. My Howa weighs about what my squirrel rifle weighs.

The CZ 527 is available in the 6.5 grendel. Nice compact rifle with enough power for deer and cheap ammo available.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    And and and, you can shoot it in a very light weight bolt action designed to shoot the. 223 Rem !

O, and it'll kill a whitetail just as dead as a .260 at the range that 98% of them are harvested. My Howa weighs about what my squirrel rifle weighs.
    That is why I too like them light rifle to carry around all day and less powder to reload.