WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVA center fire in 444

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Right now it'sway to cold -12 LoL T

Ol Deuce

it must be a heat wave. its about 5 degrees here. think i'll go out and swim!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    it must be a heat wave. its about 5 degrees here. think i'll go out and swim!!!!
    Hahaha Hard water is going away today ......... LoL A real heat wave whopping 32f

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

I think I need to find a retirement home where I can open a window and shoot out the back 40.

I don't think assisted living community's would let me bring my toys.

I keep telling my wife, this place is too full of our stuff to leave. Only way I'm going is feet first.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I think I need to find a retirement home where I can open a window and shoot out the back 40.

I don't think assisted living community's would let me bring my toys.

I keep telling my wife, this place is too full of our stuff to leave. Only way I'm going is feet first.
    GhostHawk......LoL ....It's bet way I know of for building a charge one shot at a time.... I love it! My Wife yeps once in a while and all I can say is Ooops and she smiles .......Country living on acers at the end of the Road! It just doesn't get much better than that when it's way below 0.....

My Bubble

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 01-02-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    LOL, I am the opposite. We've been living in our RV for a while.

Yep, we had a couple of acres with big house and workshop, sheds, etc. Got rid of literally tons of stuff, including guns. I kept my favorites but went from about 30 to 5. Reload for one caliber (.223) and shoot front stuffers. There are good ranges at our longer layovers.

I have to say that, FOR ME (and my wife), it was a very good thing to do. Not many like to minimize this much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    She's here and looking Good!! It took a few working days to get the rifle from the Dealer ! the holdup was in the system ! Record sales !!!!!

We'll get this girl warmed up !!!

Ol Deuce
    Nice looking rifle, I have a G2 Contender carbine in 444 and it's a handful with factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Nice looking rifle, I have a G2 Contender carbine in 444 and it's a handful with factory ammo.
    BD.......That factory loaded .444 is one Narly Round !!!! My Contender is the '84 version that I rechambered a .44 mag to the short 444 2.080 length!
    and this is one big reason for me to download.....Just makes way more fun to shoot!!! At my age I don't need a shoulder breaker !! LoL

My Friend got his CVA because of my Contender!!! I'm pleased he took the time to track one down!! Singles are way cool ! Ol Deuce

Banned
    the only problem with singles is there ain't enuff of them!!!!

although i'll take a '95 or '98 mauser

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a controversial comment but about the only thing I don't like about .444 is lack of brass and from what I understand expensive brass.

Personally I think Marlin and Hornady had the right idea when they came up with the .444 but didn't think it through. Faster twist with heavier bullet would have made it a modern equivalent to the .45-70... maybe not quite up to Ruger #1 loads or Siamese Mauser loads but much better than factory .45-70.

No problem putting a 400+ gr. bullet into a case that large if there is enough throat and loaded to modern pressures it is an impressive cartridge.

You see lots of .45-70 where I am but literally no .444.

I've even though about making up a rimless .444 because brass can be made from .308 and .30-06 or anything of .308 length with same head size. Easier to make brass than buy .444 around here I think. I have a bunch of .44 moulds too so another benefit.

Nice looking gun by the way! I like single shots too.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Starline has some

.444 Marlin (Large Rifle primer)
    .444 Marlin
    2.210 - 2.215 O.A.L.
    The 444 Marlin was introduced in the mid- 60's to give their model 336 Levergun a boost in horsepower. Over the years the .444 has been offered in a number of rifles and even a few pistols. It is another caliber that is seeing new life due to the changing game laws in many states allowing straightwall cartridges for deer hunting where they were previously limited to slug guns and muzzleloaders.

Box Size:
    • 250 ($150.00)
    • 500 ($280.00)
    • 1000 ($540.00)

Order

Boolit Master
    My 444's

[QUOTE=bdicki;4250351]My 444's

I see a Brake I'm thinking of a muff.........Having a very quit .444 would be Cool but just a bit$$$$$

Very Nice looking rifles....... your contender barrel a 20" ?????

Ol Deuce

Banned
    i seriously thought about putting a muzzle brake on my encore(444 marlin). then i thought how much noise it will make and i decided not too.

longbow, theres another forum that will take a 400-450gr cast boolit in a 444 marlin. it is a 1 in 20" twist. a 1 in 38" twist is what marlin decided on and the 1 in 20" twist was finally introduced by marlin in the 1990-2000's? . flat top is the guy, marlin is the forum.

Boolit Master
    I believe it is a 20 inch but I don't have with me in Florida to check. It's a 44 Mag barrel rechambered by Mike Bellm and the brake is machined into the barrel not an add on.

oldeuce; Great to see you've made friends with the 2400. You're a lucky guy Randy, picking up that lot of powder. I've got to get out and shoot my big singles soon. Hard to say which of my Handi's I like the best (I have eight) but the 444 and the 45-70 are the most versatile. Happy New Year Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    oldeuce; Great to see you've made friends with the 2400. You're a lucky guy Randy, picking up that lot of powder. I've got to get out and shoot my big singles soon. Hard to say which of my Handi's I like the best (I have eight) but the 444 and the 45-70 are the most versatile. Happy New Year Gp
    Gp............Thank you for not buying it LoL It sure does a great job moving my lead down the barrel of my .44 LoL......

Have a Great New Year

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't been on the Marlin forum for a while I'll have to take a look.

Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I haven't been on the Marlin forum for a while I'll have to take a look.

Thanks
    no problem

Just finished up the loading for the CVA.....150 New Brass from Hornady !! The 150 were right on the money for length! they all were Same WoW!!!!
    Now we need some warm weather !!! Let the good times roll with the .444 LoL.......

Ol Deuce

Do you guys think that the Bolt Guys would Take a Challenge ??????????LoL For this,... Here is a .44-06.....Brush/River bottom gun !!!! The 06 brass is a Natural
    and very easy to open up !!! and its laying around and "CHEAP"

Hehehe

Ol Deuce

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast