Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ".38 magnum!"

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    So you would rather have a friend around that has proven to be an idiot, or keep your distance. Keeping distance does not make one an enemy, but sometimes trying to control others does.

Are progressives our friends because they tell us what is best for us?
    Ever hear the saying "Keep your friends close, but your enemy's closer"?
    I have intentions to separate myself from him in the future, but I'd much rather do it subtly and not have the fight, than otherwise.

Boolit Master
    May I chime in and recommended not loading anything for anyone. I have a buddy that is coming up from Florida to visit. He has a NIB Ruger revolver that he's never taken out of the box, let alone cleaned, loaded or fired. The last time he shot ŕnything was 35 years or so ago when he was in the USAF. I told him that I'd show him what to do with the firearm, ( I am a state certified instructor ) and after we got back from the range I'd closely supervise HIM loading a few handloads. One at a time. I've been casting for a few sessions, I do need to size and lube the boolits, but HE will do the actual loading process. Granted, he is not an alcoholic or do drugs, nor does he live anywhere close.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Pretty sure it's illegal for that guy to even possess a handgun based on what you've told us. He couldn't truthfully answer no to several questions on a 4473, so I dang sure wouldn't supply him anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Redneck--I do not admire your plight having to live next door to a grommet like that.

The only people using my reloads are immediate family members. If some gets butt-hurt because I won't be his/her discount ammo concession, too darn bad. I try to not be rude about it, but when asked I say "I only have time to keep myself and close family in ammo". Most folks understand that. A couple cheap and dense co-workers of mine needed a bit more insistence, and got a case of the a-- when I told them IT WON'T HAPPEN. Jerks.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Groo here
    Redneck, at one time ALL 38spec S&W revolvers steel [including J-frames] were tested to shoot the 38-44 high speed load.
    Just remember, people back then shot "target" loads for range and carried the "real stuff".
    Also , round counts were much less.
    The Ruger SP101 was chambered for 38's and often chambered for 357 [ 125 gr "Flame throwers"]
    The FBI used special loads {357} made up in 38spec cases for the short stroke snub magnums they were using.[not to be given to the public]
    per G. Gordon Liddy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    The FBI used special loads {357} made up in 38spec cases for the short stroke snub magnums they were using.[not to be given to the public]
    per G. Gordon Liddy.
    I read this elsewhere a while back. I had use of a FBI Model 13 x 3" for a few months' time, and IIRC it had a full-length ejector rod--and that was a key to its acceptance for service. The Model 19 x 2.5" had a shorter rod, as did a 2" Model 10 I carted around for a few years at work. The Model 13 x 3" was a GREAT CCW rig, though the flame-thrower 125 grainers you speak of will eat them up over time. With my shop's W-W 158 JHP Super-Xs on board, it was a real performer.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

There's actually a tread discussing just that, http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Red-Dot-BE-86
    IF he ever brings it up again I'll have him go buy a box of the Buffalo Bore 158grn +P+ ammo. Somehow they are getting 1,100fps out of a 2" .38 special!

Boolit Grand Master
    Redneck--I think I'll keep those Buffalo Bore loads OUT AND AWAY FROM my Colt Officer's Model Target, and my early-60s S&W Model 10 x 5" as well. With three high-strength 357 Magnum revolvers and a lever rifle in 357, hot-rodding the 38 Special makes no sense at all.

Well, there's a couple reasons I sold my Rossi .38 snubbie and bought a .357 LCR. One was I wanted a SS gun, I tend to sweat and it's my light clothing/grab and go gun. The other, I'd wanted a .357 before I bought the Rossi, but finances didn't allow it at the time and I regretted that gun from the moment I bought it. I had the money to buy a SS Taurus snub, but not enough to buy a box of ammo that day. It sucks being broken and at the whim of my wife's purse strings! But it is what it is.
    But I agree with you, a little more and he could have had a .357, but he got "OH, SHINEY!"

.38 +p is plenty in a 2" barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Talking about .38 magnum loads -- I was thinking of doing the opposite and cutting some .38 spl brass very short and loading some light projectiles over a little powder, just for grins - ".38 shorts". Guess I'd have to clean out some carbon rings further down in the cylinder than usual...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Interesting idea, let us know how it works.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Talking about .38 magnum loads -- I was thinking of doing the opposite and cutting some .38 spl brass very short and loading some light projectiles over a little powder, just for grins - ".38 shorts". Guess I'd have to clean out some carbon rings further down in the cylinder than usual...
    That is one of the more annoying side-effects of "short-casing" in a Magnum revolver.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    I used some Star Line 38 SPLs cut back to 38 S&W length to pressure test loads in my Contender barrel. Then I found some Star Line 38 S&W cases that would chamber in the tight Contender .357 Magnum chamber. By all measurements they are the same as the 38 SPL Star Line cases I shortened.

Larry Gibson

The use of .38 cases to load .357's made a splash about what, 30 years ago?
    All the load data was the same if you kept the overall length the same.
    So where the boolits got crimped became very important.

Boolit Master

Why bother cutting the cases, just seat the bullets deeper like these Remington factory .32's. No carbon ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3727.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

While off topic from pain-in-the-*** neighbors and loads, apparently some very early 357 guns and ammo got out marked 38 Magnum.

The older guy that taught me aircraft woodworking had a revolver so marked; and bought, after much searching, a box of ammo to keep with it for show. It's been enough years to fuzz the memory, and the focus was on wood and wings: but IIRC it was a pre-27 large frame S&W in a presentation wood case.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    While off topic from pain-in-the-*** neighbors and loads, apparently some very early 357 guns and ammo got out marked 38 Magnum.

The older guy that taught me aircraft woodworking had a revolver so marked; and bought, after much searching, a box of ammo to keep with it for show. It's been enough years to fuzz the memory, and the focus was on wood and wings: but IIRC it was a pre-27 large frame S&W in a presentation wood case.
    In this thread, sir, there really is no off topic! Have at it, it's all in jest anyways!

Boolit Master
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123