Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Newish Gen1 Contender won't break open...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Newish Gen1 Contender won't break open...

I'll be reading the other threads and trying to figure this one out. S/N in the 210xxx range. Only have had the one barrel on it, only one I owned till recently, so it was well fitted to it.

I cannot get the action to open; My situation at home is such that I'd just as soon find either some one in this general area who knows Contender fixing / gunsmithing well enough, or find a local actual gunsmith, to fix this. (Setting up to move, NOTHING is findable, so not many tools and not much space as I work on that and 40 other things.)

Is there anyone in the Seattleish area who's a Contender Guru that I can talk with or just have fix this eventually? or ?

(I also have more barrels, why I want to open it; Probably will get another action and use it as well. Eventually.)

Also managed to really mess my left foot up so I may not be up to this for a week or so as that heals...

Boolit Buddy
    Have you been shooting this gun with no problems ? What caliber and have you changed loads lately ?

10" 7mm TCU, fired about 500 rounds from it 10+ years ago then got injured & it's been sitting in storage since.

Hi, Oily, and thanks.

I am guessing its a spot of rust and that's the cause of lockup, it opened quite easily back then; Maybe I can get it open tomorrow, I HAD been planning to try to fire form 300 rounds of 7mm TCU Starline brass tomorrow (new brass since my previous brass was all stolen by a family member) but since I can't get the action open, so much for that plan! I'll try for a planned camp out in mid-June instead.

It fired as/more accurately than I could hold it & worked very well back then, just couldn't use it while first injured & in bed rest, & have not had a chance since. Getting healed up slowly (LONG story) and getting back to what I love to do. I'll have to re work up a load on it since the same family member also found & took my loads & serial numbers book, plus too many other things,while I was stuck in bed - It was basically a below max load of a good powder, moving to a 14" barrel so I'll use a slightly slower powder this go around. And the Ranch Dog Cast Boolits I think, too, maybe PCed. Got that mold
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 05-26-2018 at 03:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    So when you got it out after years of storage it won't open? Is this correct? By the way that is the same gun and caliber I used to have and have experience with. What are the odds.

Yes, exactly. Tomorrow I'll try taking the stock & fore end off and see if I can get it apart, today a neighbor (Friend I've known since about 1970's girlfriend) needed transportation and I maimed my foot some so I haven't gotten at it (Not sure I can reach it till I heal some! But should figure out a way.)

It's a good caliber, I am going to like the 14" barrel a LOT I think, getting a 14" 7-30 Waters to try out too & see what I think. Expecting it'll be a tad more potent; Good couple of calibers for deer and either is legal in this state for deer. Also fun to target shoot

(Yes, I'm catching the barrel mania. Probably contagious :P)

Boolit Buddy
    Will the opening lever move or is it frozen in place ? If it is frozen take all the wood off and get some Kroil working on all the parts but don't actually soak the whole thing just yet. And for sure don't try to force anything. And you might try holding the barrel up with good pressure while trying to get it unlatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post

Tomorrow I'll try taking the stock & fore end off and see if I can get it apart

Just remove the forend & knock out the hinge pin to dismount the barrel, then inspect the action innards after you've gotten it apart.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Mr Sheesh
    Just a question, why would you need to fire form new 7 TCU brass it is already chamber formed. If the new case goes in the chamber, prime it and load it and shoot it. I have never heard of fire forming new brass, just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

The brass is going to fit the chamber better if fire formed and kept in the same orientation relative to the chamber. (Problem being that some of these chambers are hardly well aligned with the bore!) Brass I have is 5.56 brass so it's necked up but not chamber formed really; The place I have access to, for this fire forming, does NOT have a place I can shoot live 7mm TC/U or the like ammo at, I CAN fire form there though, so I am sticking with that for now. And working on moving to where I can do whatever I want or need to do. Life's been crazy the last couple weeks, some friends are having bad problems, not done much on this since that occurred.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    The brass is going to fit the chamber better if fire formed and kept in the same orientation relative to the chamber. (Problem being that some of these chambers are hardly well aligned with the bore!) Brass I have is 5.56 brass so it's necked up but not chamber formed really; The place I have access to, for this fire forming, does NOT have a place I can shoot live 7mm TC/U or the like ammo at, I CAN fire form there though, so I am sticking with that for now. And working on moving to where I can do whatever I want or need to do. Life's been crazy the last couple weeks, some friends are having bad problems, not done much on this since that occurred.
    I under stand. I figured it something like that even though your post said new 7 TCU brass. I also had a 10" 7 TCU barrel. I really liked it but got the bug for a 7.62X39 and traded it for a 14" Contender in that caliber. That was a mistake. The 7.62X39 should never have been chambered in a contender barrel. I traded it back to the same guy for a 14" 44 mag.

Well, it'll be new brass but needs fire forming first. 223 Starline brass ATM, so it's not "ideal" TCU brass currently.

I got 'er opened so that's solved. Now I need to get someone to do their part to get me the stuff I need for fire forming, frustrating waiting!

Yeah 7.62x39 sounds like a recipe for hand pain.