Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: .45 Rifle Loads

.45 Rifle Loads

I’ve posted concerning my Uberti .45 Colt. I would like to get an opinion about two bullets and two loads.

Rifle: Uberti 1885 .45 Colt, 30 inch barrel, heavy octagon.

Bullets: I have Nosler partition .45 caliber, JPP, .451 diameter. The box says these are recommended for magnum loads. I also have Hornady XTP MAG, .45 cal., .452 diameter.

Powders: H-110, 22 gn; and IMR 4227, 19 gn.

My first concern is that both of these bullets are recommended for “magnum” loads. I think that means they have a heavier copper sheathing. Is there any reason I cannot use these bullets in a rifle with these loads?

My second concern is whether there is any problem using these “Ruger only” loads in the rifle, and with these bullets.

The powder/wt are taken from the Hornady and Speer manuals, Ruger only. But neither recommended the “magnum” bullets. However, these were the 300 gn bullets which my LGS had in stock.

Thank you for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my .45 Colt single-shot rifle I use Accurate 45-290H with 7.5 grains of Bullseye very accurate to 200 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I would not shoot those Ruger level loads in any 1873 type action. Even a modern steel action has the same design as an original, so it's the toggle link design that is my concern.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I would not shoot those Ruger level loads in any 1873 type action. Even a modern steel action has the same design as an original, so it's the toggle link design that is my concern.
    He said it is a 1885

I have a Uberti .45 Colt rifle and like marlinman, would not shoot loads recommended for the stronger framed Rugers or Contender pistols. Shooting the Nosler bullet does not present any problems, pressure or otherwise, as long as you use power charges in keeping with “Cowboy Action” level. I stay away from H110 and Win296 because they were specifically formulated for “Magnum” .cartriges and pressures, but have used IMR4227, Blue Dot, 2400, and SR4759 with good results. Your longer barreled Uberti, using the “milder” charges, should match the velocity of the “magnetized” pistol without the magnetized pressure and deliver Nosler promised performance without the extra stress on your firearm; and assault on your ears, or shoulder. Good luck!

Your 1885 should stand Casull level loads if your brass will. Ruger only loads won't hurt that HiWall copy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The 'magnum' bullets are constructed heavier for the higher velocity of something like a 454. So may not open at 45 colt standard pressure levels. But they will still work and come out the end of the barrel.

I fire those heavy loads in my Rossi single shot and 92.

Boolit Master
    Out of that 30 inch barrel they should be right close to the velocity window they were designed for. I like cast in my Browning low wall,, just sayin.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I am just shooting paper. Those were just the heavier bullets in stock. They do not need to open. So the thicker jacket is no problem then.

Second, I would think the 1885 high wall could handle Ruger only loads. I know they are not necessary but half the advice I have received for an accuracy load is to use heavier bullets and slower powders for the 30 inch barrel. The slower powders tend to be for Ruger loads, so that is what I have done.

I guess averaging the collective wisdom has its limitations. At least in reloading.

Will also load 9 gn Unique with .255 gn lead.

Sincerely, thank you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I am just shooting paper. Those were just the heavier bullets in stock. They do not need to open. So the thicker jacket is no problem then.

Second, I would think the 1885 high wall could handle Ruger only loads. I know they are not necessary but half the advice I have received for an accuracy load is to use heavier bullets and slower powders for the 30 inch barrel. The slower powders tend to be for Ruger loads, so that is what I have done.

I guess averaging the collective wisdom has its limitations. At least in reloading.

Will also load 9 gn Unique with .255 gn lead.

Sincerely, thank you.

Wow, that's a light boolit! By my calculations, assuming .452" diameter, a pure lead bullet of that weight would be a disc about 0.0005" thick. You could almost see through it!

That’s what happens when you post at midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    He said it is a 1885
    Oops! Must be some brain fart here. My mind saw Uberti 1873. Nevermind. The 1885 is very strong.

.45 Rifle Loads

I have to admit I don’t really know what I’m doing (edit - with .45 Colt in a rifle). The 1885 looks very strong. The barrel is probably too heavy for the caliber, but it duplicates the weight of a 45-70 Target rifle - very little recoil. And I am not hunting so weight is a non issue. I just need to experiment with bullets and powders until I find the right combination. And avoid operator error. This looks like the best place to get feedback. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by fn1889m; 10-27-2018 at 09:59 PM.

9 grs of Unique with a 255 gr Lead bullet will be All day fun.

.45 Rifle Loads

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    9 grs of Unique with a 255 gr Lead bullet will be All day fun.
    Saturday at the range, quiet due to rain. Had the rifle range all to myself.

Tried 8.5 and 9.5 gn of Unique with 250 gn LFP and 250 gn PFP, .452 dia.
    Tried H110 with 300 gn jacketed, Ruger only loads, .451 dia.

Best results at 50 and 100 yards was with 9.5 gn Unique, 250 gn, lead and plated. Plated had a light very crimp. The twist rate probably favors 250 gn. The rifle is accurate with something. It shoots .452 fine. I need to shoot the same load for a while, for now, with better sights.

The current sights are a half buckhorn with a wide notch. Good hunting sights. But ...

Looked at Vernier and globe sights. But they are $200 plus. Will get a tang sight for now.

Last edited by fn1889m; 11-05-2018 at 01:48 AM.