Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: annealing for reloading

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    what color should the brass turn for correct annealing?
    The correct color is a bluish-green that creates a temperature of 625-650 Fahrenheit. If the brass turns red - your in the 900 degree range which is over heated
    Regards
    John

I wanted to take all the guess work out of it. I bit the bullet and bought a Bench Source Vertex annealing machine. All brass done right the first time. And It's very repeatable. Attachment 204315
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    I’ve got some cases that I’ve fired 14 times and anneal every fifth firing

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've just always done it by eye, the color rings show nicely if you have the right lighting and you drop the case in water soon as the rings are just right. That's worked well for me anyways.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I've just always done it by eye, the color rings show nicely if you have the right lighting and you drop the case in water soon as the rings are just right. That's worked well for me anyways.
    Different brands of brass will yield different visual results. Cartridge brass composition is not the same across all brands. This is why this method is not consistent. Yes, it can and will work. But the results will vary from case to case. If you're annealing for consistent bullet pull this will be a big problem.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are loading .351WSL and your custom made brass costs more than 50 cents each, you might be considering annealing. /Chris

Boolit Master
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Without over thinking or sounding TOO scientific, I spin 223 cases over propane torch using a cordless drill. The case is held using 3/8" six point socket (1/4" drive). I direct flame at case shoulder until case neck turns cherry red (dark room), then dump case in water.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Without over thinking or sounding TOO scientific, I spin 223 cases over propane torch using a cordless drill. The case is held using 3/8" six point socket (1/4" drive). I direct flame at case shoulder until case neck turns cherry red (dark room), then dump case in water.
    This is basically what I do as well. Darkened room. Heat til I can just barely see color and then dunk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123