Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do Shredded Patches Indicate?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm in the sticks, so they don't have the selection of a larger area.

What I DID see at the local Joanne's, was fabric LABELED linen, but when you check the actual content, none were 100% linen.
    Waksupi, i am not far from the bigger places such as CDA, and Spokompton, the wife and i venture to and from fairly often. I will check their Joanne's, if any will have it, it should be these bigger ones

Boolit Master
    Jo-Ann's idea of "linen" is a fine blend of Rayon and Polyester. I was in Berzerkeley one time and bought a yard of real linen from an outfit called Stone Mountain and Daughter. Countercultural as the tumultuous Sixties, but they know what real linen is, at least.

You might also look up the local Sons of the American Revolution chapter. Ours out here does a lot of re-enacting and presentations at schools, and the women who sew the uniforms usually have linen scraps for the asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleharp View Post
    Oops! Sorry about that! I was heading off to work this morning and was in a hurry when I dashed off the original post.
    Lyman .50 caliber Deerstalker, .495" ball, new store-bought T/C cotton blue & yellow pillow ticking .018" pre-lubed patches, and 70gr. of fff real black powder.
    There. Got enough to go on?
    Wow! Do you use a sledgehammer to drive that ball down the bore? Large majority of roundballers use a .490 roundball with a patch as thick as 018.

I'm surprised a store-bought buttered pillow-ticker in 018 would shred at all. Your bore may be rough and need some smoothing-out. Do your other patches look OK?.... like when using a cleaning patch wrapped around a bore brush?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    Waksupi, i am not far from the bigger places such as CDA, and Spokompton, the wife and i venture to and from fairly often. I will check their Joanne's, if any will have it, it should be these bigger ones
    Oh, don't bother on my account. I have all of my guns trained to pillow ticking!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Oh, don't bother on my account. I have all of my guns trained to pillow ticking!
    Just curious for my own account, these are bigger stores and the wife enjoys going in them, I usually sit in the car and impatiently wait, this will give me a reason to go in the next time! LOL

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleharp View Post
    Oops! Sorry about that! I was heading off to work this morning and was in a hurry when I dashed off the original post.
    Lyman .50 caliber Deerstalker, .495" ball, new store-bought T/C cotton blue & yellow pillow ticking .018" pre-lubed patches, and 70gr. of fff real black powder.
    There. Got enough to go on?
    Keep an eye on those commercial pre-cut patches. They may look like pillow ticking, but are usually a muslin. Flimsy stuff.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

LOTS of public pandering "fabric stores" use the term "linen" as synonymous with "fine fabric" and not necessarily real honest-to-goodness LINEN. buyer beware. the match test still rules ....

Boolit Grand Master

Something called drill cloth or pocket drill is very good. It's tight weave and made real strong for pocket material. Should be 100% cotton.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Consider your local thrift store. You can find a shirt that the label states 100% linen for a buck or less
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Also consider 100% cotton denim, which comes in different weights/thicknesses as it may be easier to find than some of the heavier 100% cotton pillow ticking.

If that is a Lyman barrel then chances are good that it will not settle down (short of scrubbing with valve grinding compound) without 100 to 200 shots thru to smooth it out. Can shorten this amount with paper patched boolits (tho prolly not accurate) will smooth things up nicely as well.

Might try screwing a worm into a ball and run it in just past the muzzle by an inch or two then pull it to see what the muzzle is doing to the patch

Nother thing to try is load about 5 or 6 grains under the patched ball and fire into old Pillow's or a pile of old blankets to recover both patch and ball to examine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    If that is a Lyman barrel then chances are good that it will not settle down (short of scrubbing with valve grinding compound) without 100 to 200 shots thru to smooth it out. Can shorten this amount with paper patched boolits (tho prolly not accurate) will smooth things up nicely as well.

Might try screwing a worm into a ball and run it in just past the muzzle by an inch or two then pull it to see what the muzzle is doing to the patch

Nother thing to try is load about 5 or 6 grains under the patched ball and fire into old Pillow's or a pile of old blankets to recover both patch and ball to examine.

This is what the patches look like out of my Great Plains Hunter.

These are the pre-lubed store bought stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse. Don't remember the name. And, I use a .490 ball. A .495 ball is much too tight in my bore, even with a thinner patch. (bore is .502).

charlie

ahhh , i did not catch that is is a "hunter" barrel. this has the fast twist rifling, 32 inch i think and if i remember correctly. this will over spin your round ball and scuttle the patch's. i thought we were talking about a 60 or 66 inch twist [round ball barrel].

those are not torn up as bad as i perceived from your text. i would consider those alrite coming from a new Lyman barrel. a little cutting and tattered along the edges as would be expected from such fast twist and a healthy charge of powder.might try a bit less powder and maybe an overpowder wad of some kind till your barrel breaks in ... altho they do not look burnt to me ... just tattered from a fast twist.

Boolit Master
    I am not the OP. Like you said these are closer to "normal". FWIW these were .50 fired with 40gn FFF

Boolit Master

Those patches don't look cut through or burnt. What are the groups on target?? ragged on edges but if grouping so what.

Results on the target count nothing else.

Cheap. Patchs

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
    Dutch Schultz bp system will teach you all you need (at least for pb)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Waverly Classic Ticking Denim Fabric By The Yard
    Be the first to review this item

Price: $16.98 & FREE Shipping

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

Only 8 left in stock.

Get it as soon as Monday, March 20 when you choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

Ships from and sold by Fabric.com.

• This fits your .

• Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
    • Duck
    • 100% Cotton
    • 54'' wide. 3 yards (Qty=3) is 54'' x 108''. 1 yard (Qty=1) is 54'' x 36''. Fabric is sold by the yard and cut to order.
    • Washing Instructions: Dry Clean

New (1) from $16.98 & FREE shipping.

Is this the correct stuff?

Boolit Master
    Those patches are not from the OP's rifle. I posted them so he might know what some should look like.

Right now I am grouping about 4" at 100yd with my fast twist rifle. I may lower the charge a bit and see if I can get a tighter group next time.

I did try a wad behind them but it made the groups worse so I will stick with just the patch and ball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12