MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Savage 110 heavy barrel 30-06-- any information out there?

Savage 110 heavy barrel 30-06-- any information out there?

I found a Savage 110 in 30-06 with a synthetic stock and a heavy, varmint style barrel in a local shop today. The barrel is factory original with all the stamping and warnings that come on factory rifles.
    It is a pre-accutrigger setup.
    I have never seen one or heard of one before.
    The trigger is actually pretty good. The stock, while synthetic is pretty stiff with less flex than the newer stocks and not so plasticey looking. Barrel is fully free floated.
    It appears to have been shot very little if at all.
    It came with a bipod and scope.
    This had a really low price on it.
    Anyone have any further information on it?

Played with skinny barrel set-up from that time period that would consistently put two shots almost touching and a third less than 1/2" below at 100yds. I can imagine the heavy barrel shooting just as well, and possibly better.

The rifle was great, but the trigger makes you cry. I am not too particular, but I would buy an aftermarket trigger soon after aquiring the rifle. Was OK for untimed, very deliberate bench shooting, but difficult for off hand. The AccuTrigger was needed...

A heavy barrel '06 would be gentle to shoot and fun at long range.
    Add it to your Savage collection Tazman!
    Best, Thomas

I intend to. I started the paperwork and should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Interested to hear the weight of 110 with that barrel. You can expect great results after common tune up!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Pre ACU triggers will adjust down to 3.5 lbs ,very accurate rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    Pre ACU triggers will adjust down to 3.5 lbs ,very accurate rifles.
    Yes they will and they will stay there with some nail polish on the adj. screws. I'll say it again- I don't like blade safety triggers. If all my rifles had them I would be fine but they don't. Just me I guess. Tazman try the 155 gr Nosler BTHP Palma bullet over IMR 4064 if you get a chance. It shot great in every bolt action '06 I've had & was my best load for the FrankenGarand I once owned.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    If the rifle has the three screw trigger, you can get the pull down to <1 pound. I have mine set at 1 1/2 to 2 pounds safely. No need for an aftermarket trigger.

I took the rifle to the range yesterday. I picked it up at the gun shop and went directly to the range.
    It was a little windy with the wind being a straight crosswind and gusty, which made things difficult. In any case, the rifle shot well.
    It was holding 1.5-2.0 inch groups at 200 yards with it with a couple of different loads. Best group of the day measured 1.1 inches at 200 yards for a 5 shot group. That was with the same 168 grain match hollow points I use in my bench rest rifle.
    After I got home, I measured the trigger with my scale and it released at 2.5 pounds. I don't think I will be messing with that.
    The scope on the rifle was a 4-12X Simmons with adjustable objective. The crosshairs were thick enough I couldn't aim very fine with it. It did adjust properly and held zero, so I can't complain about that part. I may be replacing it to get a better view of the target. My old eyes don't work like they used to.
    The rifle weighs in at nearly 12 pounds with the scope and bipod on it. I expect it would weigh roughly 10 pounds by itself.
    The barrel measures 24 inches long. Definitely a varmint contour barrel. Appearance is the same as any other Savage 110 with a black synthetic stock. Nothing special in that regard.
    I put nearly 30 rounds through the rifle during the range session. When I cleaned the rifle there was very little powder fouling. What there was came out in a couple of patches.
    I cleaned the copper out as well. That took a lot longer. Apparently the previous owner had never cleaned the copper out of the barrel. It took 3 passes with Hoppes Lead Terminator to get it all.
    With my other rifles it only takes once. It will be interesting to see how the rifle shoots the next trip to the range.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you have the long action of my .308 10FP. Does yours have "Tactic" on the bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Sounds like you have the long action of my .308 10FP. Does yours have "Tactic" on the bolt?
    Not that I have noticed, but I didn't look for it. I assume it would be obvious if it was there.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you made a great find. I also understand you are happy with the trigger ..... 2.5# is nothing to sneeze at if it's crisp.

But just for point of reference if it's a three screw or the older four screw, you can set the creep to make it more crisp if that of an interest to you.

And the pull weight is very adjustable in the lighter ranges if you acquire some .041" piano wire and make a new spring with that ............ I think the original is in the .055" range ........ something like that.

The accutrigger is pretty good ...... those that like them ............. like 'em and those that don't ........ hate them.

I am in the middle ....... I like all of them!

A hard to find accutrigger that many are not familiar with is the "target accutrigger" ....... you can get half way there by buying the "red blade" unit off someone but the less known and less understood part is the target sear ...... they are harder to get part of that equation.

The target accutrigger paired with the target sear allows one to get all the way to 6-8 oz. Of course you adjust them decidely heavier than that. My .204 Ruger build on an Accu Savage is set at 14 oz. right now and I am intending to stiffen it some more as I carry it on a tractor sometimes ......... with an empty chamber of course!

Best regards and enjoy that Savage when you get physical possession of it!

Three 44s