Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Totin' a PF-9 Keltec-comfortably?

Totin' a PF-9 Keltec-comfortably?

I hope I'm posting this on the right forum, but I want to carry a concealed pistol with a bit more punch than my P3AT 380 Kel Tec. I have a PF-9 9mm that I am looking for a belt pouch for and I don't want one with a zipper. I would prefer a good Velcro or magnetic flap to cover the opening. I would hate to be fumbling with a zipper if I REALLY needed my gun in a hurry. The PF9 is just a bit too big to carry in my pocket, and a belt pouch can be leather(soft) or nylon. Inside the waist band holsters dig into the seat belt buckle of my car and are not very comfortable for us "full figured" old men. Any body got a idea?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Have a look at Sticky Holsters They can be worn many places as you see fit. In a car you could do cross draw or appendix carry. Outside you could do IWB on either side appendix or small of the back.

I have several of these and I can assure that they hold onto the gun well and stay put no matter where you wear them.

They run around $25 for virtually any size gun and they make something that will work for just about anything known to man. https://stickyholsters.com/

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I think they are a good choice but I am really looking for a belt pouch that more closely resembles a cell phone pouch on steroids. I've got a zippered pouch but the zipper is a bit "fumblesome" and I am looking for something with a flap.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Wow, that Wilderness holster ought to hold anything you want to carry. Many different sizes. Sort of pricey, do you have one?

I've 2. One small for lcp and another for Glock 23. They are pretty sweet and should be at that price

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    This may just do the trick. Do you or anybody carry in one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    This may just do the trick. Do you or anybody carry in one of these?
    Not me, not because I don't like them. I open carry, and keep a NAA mini revolver in my pocket, both are comfortable. But the Sneaky Pete has been around a long time with good reviews. Bull Dog Holsters also makes a cell phone case type holster, probably less money than SP, but I think they are nylon fabric instead of leather.

BTW you can open carry in Alabama also, which increases your options. A PF9 would hardly be noticeable even OC. Most people do not even see my wife's OC Pavona.

Attachment 201732

Attachment 201733

This is for pocket carry for my Pug but you can easily put it in your waist band at various places. In my pocket you can't make it out at all.

I have several of these in sizes from full size for my G21 to G23, to the Pug size. For the money you can't beat them. I guess not for everyone but certainly worth a look.

Now Hornady is making something similar trying to horn in on the market. Saw it on Shooting USA this week. Never saw Sticky on Shooting USA.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

It looks like carrying a 9mm makes this a whole different ball game as opposed to packing a 22 or a 380 when it comes down to concealability. My p 3at 380 works perfectly in a front pocket but when you up the anti to 9mm it changes the game.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    It looks like carrying a 9mm makes this a whole different ball game as opposed to packing a 22 or a 380 when it comes down to concealability. My p 3at 380 works perfectly in a front pocket but when you up the anti to 9mm it changes the game.
    Not always. I carry a Springfield xds .45 comfortably in my jeans front pocket. I have also carried a Taurus snub there. There is a bulge but nobody notices, trust me. That was the biggest hang up I had was assuming people were more observant than they are.

I use a Mika pocket holster and it works fabulous.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I to wanted a little better pistol than my Keltec P3AT, just a little more punch, so, I to got a PF-9. Carried in a inside the waste band with a DeSantis holster and it was a very comfortable rig for everyday use. I got so comfortable with it's small size that I could carry it almost anywhere. It became uncomfortable when I had to return the pistol to the factory 3 times for repair. First was magazine feeding, and last shot slide hold. Second was a cracked slide in the ejection port, third return was for a cracked frame. If I'd been shooting hot ammo through, it would have been my fault. It wasn't that though, my PF-9 only ever fired Hornady Critical defense, nothing else. On the third return to dealer from the frame repair, I traded it in on a Ruger LC-9 hopefully with a little more quality that so far has proved to be just a little larger, but be much more reliable. The uncomfortable part of carrying a PF-9 turned out to not be the size, it was reliability. My lesson = never bring a broken gun to the fight.
    Chris
    Last edited by cwheel; 08-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I have only put about 50 rnds through my PF-9. It's been mostly W-W white box and it hasn't burped yet. You've got me thinking maybe I should shoot it more and see if it holds up. I don't know how hot the Hornady ammo is but I would tend to "carry" with a few less fps that have a malfunction when it matters most.

Boolit Master
    At first mine was reliable as well, it carried well inside the holster, all was well. My CCW gets fired about once every 3-4 months, I fire the loaded mags ( 2 ) reloaded, cleaned, returned to service. Hornady Critical Defense is a mid pressure round, I never used the +P rounds. Before the first 3 boxes of 25 rounds were fired, had the first failure. Sent it in for the warranty service and had it returned. It was close to 2 years before the second fail. ( cracked slide ) Never had a single fail out of my P3AT so far. I have to praise KelTec for doing a good job and honoring their warranty service, but I ended up spending much more money on shipping in the end than I would have spend on a better quality pistol. And the biggest thing with a CCW is reliability, three returns didn't give me much confidence in this one. Think it might be fine for a person who never fires it, but as a CCW, I think practice with what I carry and being somewhat proficient with it is a minimum standard. Good luck with yours, I did like it's small size to carry, but after 3 major repairs, I didn't have the confidence in it that it would do it's job if needed.
    Chris

That cracked slide tells me that something is getting hammered inside the gun. I wonder if anybody else has had the same experience with a PF-9. I am not setting out to create a PF-9 bashing, just wondering if it is a design problem.