Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Shady food plot

Shady food plot

I have a dirt road cut through our woods that is very shady. Good ground along a creek bottom. I would like to till it up and plant some critter food. Any suggestions on what to plant. The "road " only has a vehicle on it a few times pre year so no real worry about ruining it; also it is completely on our land so not public. Some mixture that would feed the critters and survive being driven on a few times is what I am looking for.

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

white clover
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have a dirt road cut through our woods that is very shady. Good ground along a creek bottom. I would like to till it up and plant some critter food. Any suggestions on what to plant. The "road " only has a vehicle on it a few times pre year so no real worry about ruining it; also it is completely on our land so not public. Some mixture that would feed the critters and survive being driven on a few times is what I am looking for.

Thanks
    I have a plot between a couple hills, actually surrounded, so only gets a couple hours of sun. Most of the mixes I have planted have taken, even corn. But the best thing I have done is get some cheap grass seed, from Rural King, about $4 a bag about three years ago. I noticed that every time I reseeded my lawn a ton of clover would show up, and that was good seed brands. Low and behold, the cheap grass seed filled the entire plot full of clover. Now I just throw out some seed, of any kind, that I find on sale after the hunting season is over to keep things growing there.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Orchard grass and buckwheat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with Whitetail Clover "No Plow" for my food plot. Usually, I only plant in the Fall. This year, I planted in the Spring, as an experiment. Hopefully, it will require less work, in the Fall.

https://www.whitetailinstitute.com/i...o-plow-annual/

Winelover

Try purple top turnips. They are very hardy, and the deer love them. They eat the foliage, and in the winter they dig the turnips out of the ground with their hooves. Turnip seeds are inexpensive too, you can buy bulk quantities at the feed store (e.g. Southern States), as opposed to those little seed envelopes.

P.s., Your subject line sounds like you're a Florida real estate agent.

Boolit Master
    Turnips and radish grow quick and are deer attractants
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Moderator Emeritus

Plant a veggie garden... mine seems to attract every deer within 10 miles...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I've had good luck with Whitetail Clover "No Plow" for my food plot. Usually, I only plant in the Fall. This year, I planted in the Spring, as an experiment. Hopefully, it will require less work, in the Fall.

https://www.whitetailinstitute.com/i...o-plow-annual/

Winelover
    Winelover,
    Do you have to lime the soil up there to get that stuff to take? Reason i ask is , i am told the soil here (west central Ark.) Needs to be limed so it would set. Have yet to try , but really don't wanna have to mess with the lime unless I need to. Turnips, orchard grass, and Milo can be grown on the property easily. If u am gonna have to lime it I am gonna plant me some Alfalfa. It's like crack to the deer in Pennsylvania that I hunted most of my life.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post

Thanks
    Thumbcocker,

My vote is for Alfalfa if your soil will support it, or as mentioned some variety of clover. - Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    I put down a 40# bag or two of pelletized lime, just before I plant, according to the Whitetail Institute's planting instructions. Soil is less than desirable, should have named this state Rock-in-Saw. Surprised, though at the results I get. Seedlings are up, in less than a week. This Fall, I will be trying some of their Turnip seeds, in a portion of the plot.

Winelover