RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG-25 ?

Kel-Tec KSG-25 ?

Ok have you seen this?
    Attachment 226730

I got to shoot one over the weekend and I have to tell you,,, You are the baddest in the valley with one.

It holds a full box of 2 3/4" 12 ga shells! It holds 41 of the Aguila Mini Shells!

The one I shot had a Red Dot on it and a nice recoil pad. It weighed a ton but that's OK because I don't see anyone running one dry.

I only got to shoot the first 4 rounds before someone tagged me and took it away.

I might have to have one. For an HD Gun you wouldn't have to worry about having extra ammo on the gun,,, It's already on the gun!

Randy
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 09-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Has to be a fun "toy", and 12 Ga is a nice HD cartridge, tho some might call it "overkill" I see nothing wrong with overkill for home defense

Moderator Emeritus

I have been toying with the idea of getting one. Glad you had a positive experience with it.

My son had the short barreled version of that gun. It took a trip back to KelTec to get it to cycle correctly.

BB

One of the problems people have is short stroking the action. The fore end is closer to you than on a regular pump gun, and people tend to not cycle it all the way. Once you get used to it and it's broken in they run just fine. I personally would take it apart and deburr everything on the inside and bypass about 3/4 of the Break in Rounds.

Short Stroking can be eliminated by using a positive rearward stroke to the stop, and then positive push forward to the stop. This is a two part exercise and is part of basic Pump Gun Training, but sometimes gets lost in the heat of the moment..

The amount of firepower you have with one of these is unsurpassed with any other weapon I can think of that is legal to own.

Even the short one is pretty serious. It only has 15 rounds on board.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    These are tacti-cool, that's for sure. I believe I read on Gabe Swarez's site, though, that he hadn't heard of an LEO situation where they needed more rounds per engagement than a standard pump gun carries, but he does like to have a side saddle carrier on a gun. GF

Technically, a Gatling Gun would have more rounds, and is legal to own, but a bit hard to carry in your hands! Having had an old "thumb-buster" Winchester Model 1897 as my first 12 gauge, which had some issues with the action (it'd stick somewhat just short of going into battery), I know you can train to overcome short stroking. Not sure I'll get a KSG but I'd love to at least try one some day

My son's KelTec would jam with the round almost in battery. Would jam with short shells or normal length, factory or handloads. Keltec replaced some of the innards and it was good to go.

FWIW, for the first time ever i saw the Aquila short shells for sale at a LGS. Buckshot and slugs, no birdshot.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I had KSG problems initially but after a "fluff and buff" and a light chamber polish, it runs like a swiss watch. I think at least half of the issues were due to the chamber parkerizing being to "grippy". Any ammo runs now. Note, the fluff and buff is about polishing with about 400 grit, not material removal.

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith buddy has some sort of Kel-Tec shotgun I assume it’s something like this . I may add he in the last couple weeks added a Kel-Tec bullpup 308 . He used the shotgun in AR when they hog hunted at night . He got the rifle to replace his heavy honking AR-10 . He wants to move the suppressor and his night vision scope from the AR-10 onto this Kel-Tec 308 . Says it should cut about 4 or 5 pounds off the total weight , his AR-10 has a stainless barrel that’s about as big around as a digging bar .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Love my shorty and it is a joy to shoot the stubby shells in as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

And the "Can" is just because you can?

Gotta love guns! They bring out the creativity in all of us!

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    And the "Can" is just because you can?

Gotta love guns! They bring out the creativity in all of us!

Randy
    After 30+ years as a diesel mechanic, the last 20 at an airport.....I like quiet things. 8)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    After 30+ years as a diesel mechanic, the last 20 at an airport.....I like quiet things. 8)

Huh ? What did ya say ??? �������� I can relate on a lesser level , when I was in my early twenties I had a steam traction engine I’d take to different steam and gas shows . After three or so days of messing with that thing blowing the whistle etc my ears would ring for several days . To be honest I kinda wish I had it back , it’s 104 years old now .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I got to play with another one of these guns at an LGS the other day. I got to really look at it close, and fondle it. The reason for the short stroking is the position of the fore end in relation to the Pistol grip. It is closer than a conventional Pump Gun. As long as you grip the fore end all the way forward and use a positive slam to the back and then forward to battery you won't have any problems.

The gun essentially loads like an Ithaca and there is no way to port load the gun. The gun only feeds from the magazine. So if you have the gun loaded with buckshot and need a slug you have to flip the gun over and stuff a slug in the open mag tube.

There is a selector lever that blocks one or the other mag tube. it must be switched manually to change mag tubes when needed. I see this gun as being a buckshot only type of weapon. Urban Combat,,, it would kick bundt cakes. It has really good Magpul BUIS's so it would shoot slugs, but once again you'd either have to have them staged in one of the mag tubes or single load them as needed.

The gun is kind of a pain to load as it is a bullpup and there is alot going on in the ejection port. but by the same token it can have 25 2 3/4 shells or 41 1.5" Aguilas. so you probably won't have to re load it in the heat of battle.

The CA guns are marked 3" only so the mag tubes only hold 10 rounds. Too bad Mr. Brazziera

A very interesting gun and a bargain at $1299! I see adding a light and a Red Dot Sight.

Very cool.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-23-2018 at 03:07 PM.

If I had one and got into a firefight then I ran out after 25 2-3/4" buckshot rounds - I'd have left one heck of a mark on the other side! If someone who was any good with it had that, it'd sure put dry ice down the shorts of any would be home invader who tried breaking in at 3am, I'd think. Might have a sore shoulder the next day, of course. (Alive is GOOD here tho!)

Sheesh: the gun weighs 9.25 lbs empty. When full it is more like 11-12 lbs. It doesn't kick very much at all.

Randy

Aaah, well then not so sore a shoulder

Boolit Bub
    For home defense the much shorter standard KSG would be much better trying to maneuver around corners and through doorways. Something tells me even 13 shots would be more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by dyecocker1 View Post
    For home defense the much shorter standard KSG would be much better trying to maneuver around corners and through doorways. Something tells me even 13 shots would be more than adequate.
    Probably be enough,,, but the intimidation factor/confidence of 25 rounds on board would be comforting.

Randy