Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American 450 bushmaster using Lee 310's (my 1st casts)group results...

Thanks for sharing your input in right up on the 450 Bushmaster!

That looks like the hammer of Thor! That round will stop anything in NA.

If you are seeking a good brake for recoil Magna-Port also really nice one for a $150.

Boolit Grand Master
    You might try .453" dia. on your boolits and also mag primers also. That said, your 1.25" group is plenty good.

Boolit Master

Wow 30 to 40 g under a 300g boolit. I was very surprised at the recoil of my Rossi 92 with a 300g over 18.3g of H110. I bet that one rattled your teeth. Just a suggestion, but you may want to pick one of the tight groups and find a 2" range with a high and low test it out now in the summer and rework the load in the winter and fine one that works for both. You'll drop some pressure in the winter months and that drives me batty. But if you find at 2" or 1.5" group around a specific load +- .5 g and load in the middle that might be your goto load. Just my 2 bits.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    You might try .453" dia. on your boolits and also mag primers also. That said, your 1.25" group is plenty good.
    Who's sells a .453 sizing die? I have the .452 lee

I casted some more lee 310's and AC this time. I will PC them in the next couple days and try them with the 35.5g load and the 3 other groups that I shot 1.5" groups and see what happenns

Curious to see if they open up or tighten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I spoke to Ruger earlier this week, production of the 77/44, 77/357 and .22 has resumed as of two weeks ago. The 17 and 22 hornet will start up again in the not too distant future. They are entertaining different calibers. I suggested .327, 41 Magnum and 45 Colt. Now is a good time to let them know what you would like to see in the small 77 platform. Contact them through their web sight.
    ]
    Sweet, I picked up a 77/44 last fall when they anmounced the halt in production. Got it from cabelas with my club points
    Had a few scratches on the stock so they discounted down to just under $6 bills. Stainless and black. I polished the trigger and got it down to a little under 3lbs if I had to guess. The bolt was tight and needed no schims. Haven't shot it yet but its on my list in the next week to brake in. My plan was to send it in to have a compensator built over the whole barrel but it would have cost 2 to 3 times what I paid for the thing to do so so I will leave it be now that I have the american already threaded from factory.

I would retest the 35.5 load without the brake. 7 shot groups to get an average. I like what I see so far!

Yes: My standard load for my .45-70 is the RCBS .45-300 FNGC (330 gr) with 33.0 gr of 5744 for about 1600fps.

I can take 40 of them offhand in a Silhouette shoot. 35 gr of 5744 is listed as Max. I could probably suffer thru a few 400 gr loads at those velocities, but flinching would show up fast.

My .45-70 is a Marlin 1895CB with a 26" bbl. It weighs 8lbs and has a Gray-Coil Recoil Reducer and a 1" thick Pachmayer recoil pad to soften the recoil. This gun really needs to weigh 9-10 lbs to shoot a steady diet of 400 gr boolits at 1600+ fps. The 330gr at 1600 are more than enough for anything in N/A or lots of other places as well, and the Steel Rams get knocked flat when hit and drop with authority which is very satisfying and a good indicator of what would happen to a game animal.

You might find that after you figure out your top end loads, it might be a good idea to develop a nice midrange load that you could shoot more.

Shooting Short Range Silhouettes (50-200 Meters) is good practice for hunting and can be come quite consuming. You won't need full tilt loads for that.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Well, I started to load up some AC boolits for round two and ran into the feeding issues I originally started with. Now It doesn't make any difference whether I load them shorter or longer, Where as before I shortened them to feed. I took the magazine apart to adjust the spring tension and it only made things worse. The wide meplate hits the bottom feed ramp some times and then the top ramp the other half.

Also, the action screws rocked loose from my last shooting session good enough that I could lift my receiver up and down. So I would assume that why some of my groups were really opening up.

I need to find a rounded, smaller meplate boolit that accepts a GC and to get it to feed without jamming.

I don't want to double post but if someone has a good hunting boolit suggestion please message me.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-07-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    You could have Veral Smith cut you a .453" LFN at whatever weight you'd wanted with a gas check base. LBTmolds.com
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

I believe I found and solved the feeding issue!

I changed the over all length to 2.055"(which feeds fine now) so I could line the lower crimp groove with the rim of the case so I could put a light roll crimp on it after I tapper crimped it per hornadys remendation to keep the boolit from shifting from recoil(which I had no problems with to begin with).

The boolits With the taper/roll crimp combo got caught on the lower feed ramp and the ones that didn't defected and jumped to the top of the Action must have got caught up on top?

Well, I just cycled a magazine load of the tapered only loads with the length of 2.055" with no feeding issues.

I have four more loads to test and will try and head to to range tomorrow.

I increased the OAL from 2.035" to 2.055" and loaded up My blue WQCOWW with H110 at 35.5g(my best group from last time), 35.3g, and 35.7g.

I also loaded up ACCOWW with 35.5g of H110 at 2.055"

FYI, the magazine bottom release to remove the spring is made out of plastic and brakes easily I found out. I called Ruger to purchase another bottom plate and they were nice enough to just send me a new replacement mag free of charge.

My plan was to try and bend the feeding spring to give it more tension and broke the bottom catch in the process. Well, I'll glue it in place and have a spare.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-07-2017 at 04:34 PM.

I was just looking on the Ruger Site and they now have a Scout Rifle in .450 Bush with a serious brake on the front.

The gun looks very stout but only weighs 6.6 lbs, and has a wood stock for those that like that.

They are also advertising 77/44's again in 3 versions. I do want one of them, but it will have to wait for a while longer.

Attachment 201635

Now,,, I have another question,,,

What is the groove dia. on these .450 Bushmaster guns?

Seems like it should be .458? but I see .453 boolits being used.

Looked at the SAAMI Drawings and it definitely uses .453 boolits.

Looks like a Lengthened and Rimless .460 S&W.

Pretty neat cartridge!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-10-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Who's sells a .453 sizing die? I have the .452 lee
    NOE makes a bushing sizing die. You can get a .453 bushing for it too.
    I love guns, tacos, and lead. I use the guns. The guns eat lead. And I eat tacos. I make videos about the first 2 things.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/fullleadtaco

Banned
    The beauty of the 450 BM is its use in an AR.

In a bolt gun it is s-l-o-w as are all bolt guns.

If you want that power in a manually operated gun, get a 454 or 45-70 lever gun. Compared to either, that scout rifle is an ugly club.

Never did get the Scout concept. Has it been anyone but Cooper, it would have died on the table as it should have,

No "scout" would be stuck with a slow bolt gun given the availabilty of light weight ARs in any chambering you could desire.

I see they are even making a Ruger No. 1 in 450 BM ! A rebated rim 45 caliber in a single shot availabile in 45-70 ..... Say what ?

Marketing trumps common sense !

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I was just looking on the Ruger Site and they now have a Scout Rifle in .450 Bush with a serious brake on the front.

The gun looks very stout but only weighs 6.6 lbs, and has a wood stock for those that like that.

They are also advertising 77/44's again in 3 versions. I do want one of them, but it will have to wait for a while longer.

Attachment 201635

Now,,, I have another question,,,

What is the groove dia. on these .450 Bushmaster guns?

Seems like it should be .458? but I see .453 boolits being used.

Looked at the SAAMI Drawings and it definitely uses .453 boolits.

Looks like a Lengthened and Rimless .460 S&W.

Pretty neat cartridge!

Randy

I slugged my bore and got .450" on one slug(boolit) I sized first. I deluged another without sizing first and it measured .451". I size mine with the Lee .452 since I can't find a .453 sizer.

The scout version was available when I bought mine. Believe it or not, I like the looks of the cheaper American over the goofy butt pad on the scouts wood offering and just don't like the looks of scout type rifles. Also there is no aluminum V blocks for bedding in the wood offering so the American is going to be more accurate. I would buy the scout right now if they offered it in a bedded composit stock...I love the metal mags over my cheapy plastic ones.

I load my shells all the way up to max recommended loads for the 460 s&w. Factory offerings and load data books are low for this rifle being they were set for ARs that can't take pressures like the American action. The same action for my 450 is used in the 300 WSSM that's ran at 60,000. This means you can run the 450 BM 5-600 fps faster than an AR and it surpasses a 45-70 or 450 Marlin. Gunblast did a test and was getting 2600fps out of a 250g Barnes with no pressure signs. I loaded my Lee 310's up to 40g of h110 with no pressure signs as well. This stout action brings out the potential in the little cartridge without having the weight of a larger actioned rifle. I have enough ARs around and debated on buying an upper to run on my POF but I'd rather
    Run a bolt. I've hunted with both and feel more comfortable and confident with a bolt gun...and normally only need 1 shot 99% of the time.

If I remember the American is a 1/16 twist. It was designed to shoot the hornady 250g FTX bullets that every American seems to shoot under and inch at a 100 yards if you research them.

I have a brand new 77/44 stainless composit I shot two days ago and don't care if I shoot it again after playing with my bushmaster. I'm sure I'll find some love for it some day. I originally bought it to have it threaded and get it suppressed and then snagged the American since it was already threaded.

I picked up an old Ruger semi auto 44 carbine and going to take it out next week to plink with.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.

I would be more than happy with 1.25" at 100 yards. Would be nice if Ruger made a .458socom version. Now if you want a .458socom bolt you are looking at $2000+ to have one built.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I would be more than happy with 1.25" at 100 yards. Would be nice if Ruger made a .458socom version. Now if you want a .458socom bolt you are looking at $2000+ to have one built.
    Tromix WAS making Socom barrels for the Mossberg MVP, which uses the standard AR magazine the 458 Socom was designed to feed from. Since the MVP uses a barrel nut similar to a Savage I'm pretty sure a barrel wouldn't be THAT expensive from somebody else.

$2000 seems a bit high.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MostlyOnThePaper; 08-10-2017 at 09:16 PM.

If you check out my 2nd trip to the range post I shot a 1.190" group at a 100 yards with a 35.5g of H110 AC COWW PC load. Gonna try some lil gun powder next week and see if I can get it under an inch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	201641

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Tromix WAS making Socom barrels for the Mossberg MVP, which uses the standard AR magazine the 458 Socom was designed to freed from. Since the MVP uses a barrel nut similar to a Savage I'm pretty sure a barrel wouldn't be THAT expensive from somebody else.

$2000 seems a bit high.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I got my AR .458 soc barrel/bolt from Tromix, I keep pretty good track of what he sells. The $2000 figure was about an average of what I see guys build costs that they posted. Some guys were well over two grand, some under. There is a little more involved than just a barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    If you check out my 2nd trip to the range post I shot a 1.190" group at a 100 yards with a 35.5g of H110 AC COWW PC load. Gonna try some lil gun powder next week and see if I can get it under an inch.

Views:	31 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	201641
    I don't doubt you could get under 1" with the right load. I use a lot of Norma 200 and IMR4198 for the .458socom, don't know how well it works for the .450bush. I tend to favor the 4198 for cast, Norma 200 has a lot of unburndt powder at low to medium power loads.

Finally had a chance to try my lil gun powder loads today. I tried 30.5g all the way to 38g. Had some issues. Half way through my shooting session my magazine fell out. It kept doing this after a couple of shots. Ruger is sending another to see if it fixes the issue. Also while was shooting my shot string dropped straight down about a foot and a half on my Nikon pro staff 5. It did this two more times in 4" drops. Scopes going back to Nikon for repair. I grabbed the scope and could not move it by had but I can see it did move under recoil and the front bell had a deep ring gouged in it from banging against the mount. Needless to say all my groups sucked. The best was 2.5" which I am going to call a redo when I get my scope back in a few weeks. There was no leading all the way to 38g. Boy that baby recoils with stout loads!

Views:	24 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	203005
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-31-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    $300 for a McGowen, $250 for a Marlin XS7, Stevens short 200.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast