Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the wife and i are making venison summer sausage today

Boolit Master

the wife and i are making venison summer sausage today

got things ready this morning and let some venison thaw,think we'll do regular,chedder cheese and jalapeno,pepper jack cheese and jalapeno,and mozzarella and jalapeno.get it all mixed and in cases tonight so we can smoke it tomorrow,might even make a little venison pan sausage while were at it

Boolit Master
    I was making venison breakfast sausage, mixing venison with ground pork. The ground pork was $5/lb. Then I ran out of ground venison, so my sausage was basically just ground pork. Then one day, I found Bob Evans natural pork sausage, for $3/lb on sale. Haven't made my own since then. Less $, less work, and it does taste good.

Boolit Master
    that sausage might be good but we love venison sausage,we kill and eat 5 or 6 deer a year so we always have good sausage

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I was making venison breakfast sausage, mixing venison with ground pork. The ground pork was $5/lb. Then I ran out of ground venison, so my sausage was basically just ground pork. Then one day, I found Bob Evans natural pork sausage, for $3/lb on sale. Haven't made my own since then. Less $, less work, and it does taste good.
    Buy pork butts when they go on sale for about $.99 a pound. Perfect ratio of lean to fat 70/30.
    East Tennessee

Is it legal to make summer sausage during the winter?

BB

Boolit Master
    yea its 70 plus here to so its spring sausage lol

Boolit Master
    Thanks Snowwolfe, I'll have to remember that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Thanks Snowwolfe, I'll have to remember that.
    There is only one small bone inside the butt/shoulder. They also make a decent pork steak cut about 1 inch thick and grilled.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0130EED1-18D3-4AD5-A866-B3F376867EFA.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	258412. Well we 12-1 1/2 pound summer sausage out of our mix today,now let them sit till 4 tomorrow and start smoking

Boolit Master
    The wife and I both hunt here in KY, I took 4 deer this year and she took 2, for a total of 6. We ground most of it, combined part of it with 20% ground pork shoulder, for burgers and Salisbury steak. I make 2-3 batches a year, I love it for a midday snack. We use deer burger instead of beef, actually prefer it instead we have gotten so used to eating it the last 30 years.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you are cold smoking standard cheese melts out. High Temp cheese works much better.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    we use ground venison for everything except queso,venison makes it taste weird,next we'll make hot smoked sausage and breakfast sausage,then about 10 pounds of venison hickory jerky

Banned

yup theres a store that has a meat sale once a year and sells them for 99s. Had that sale last week and I bought 200lbs of it. I use it for breakfast sauage, Italian, bratts and summer sausage. Even wack off a few leaner chunks for roasts and pulled pork. My summer sauage is about gone. I only made a 100 lbs this year and probably gave away 2/3s of it. Going to have to go back to a 150 lbs next year. I like mine with high temp pepper jack cheese. That's about the biggest cost in making it. that cheese aint cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Buy pork butts when they go on sale for about $.99 a pound. Perfect ratio of lean to fat 70/30.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Unless you are cold smoking standard cheese melts out. High Temp cheese works much better.
    we use high temp cheese,we get ours from Walton's. we did pepper jack and chedder lastnight,we smoke at 4 temps with the last one being 175 to get a internal temp of 160

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    The wife and I both hunt here in KY, I took 4 deer this year and she took 2, for a total of 6. We ground most of it, combined part of it with 20% ground pork shoulder, for burgers and Salisbury steak. I make 2-3 batches a year, I love it for a midday snack. We use deer burger instead of beef, actually prefer it instead we have gotten so used to eating it the last 30 years.
    we use our burger straight,we add 20% ground beef to our summer sausage,20% boston butt to our regular smoked sausage,andouille and breakfast sausage

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF4FF25C-BAD2-4A03-BF00-D7F7811258C7.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	258451 finished product ready to be vacuum sealed

Banned

this is the place ive used for 15 years for all my sausage making stuff https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/

If any of you sausage makers need independent quality control performed on your finished product let me know.

BB

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lloyd we'll check them out

Boolit Master
    bikerbeans,if youre ever in ga stop by we'll have some sausage and shine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast