RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 primer question!

Boolit Buddy

223 primer question!

Before anyone looses there mind on this one, I would be using this for low pressure .223 loads for cast. Under 2000 FPS with pistol powder. And will be in a bolt gun.

But could a person use small pistol magnum primers in a pinch?

Boolit Master

Sure ya can.

Some argue CCI 550/400 are same same.

I can tell ya this all SMALL primers are same
    Size. Difference is "power" and cup thickness.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Primer shortage is really becoming a pain, eh? I've resorted to using my Wolf SRM primers. Still got 2+k CCI No. 41, but saving them.

Took a test batch out this weekend and had two misfires...effing Russian kludge.

Boolit Buddy
    The only problem I see here is use of SPP in AR15 platform. I dont think ignition will be a problem but slam fires might be because of the floating firing pin and thinner cup. Thats the reason CCI came out with #41 to prevent that from happening.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah the AR-15 thing is why I want to save the CCI small rifle primers I got, and with my target application in my bold gun I don’t think I’ll be hitting high pressures.

And if I get a slam fire In my bolt gun.. something is wrong really wrong.

When we get primers back I think I’m going to get a few thousand more to put into my stash..

If you don't have what you need by this time there is no helping you.

I would load a couple up, shoot them and see how the primers look. If you see any pressure issues, then maybe you can't do that, if you don't, send them down range! Good luck and yes, it's a good idea to keep stock in this crazy world!

Boolit Master

Plainly stated by the OP, this is To be used in a BOLT GUN

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    all I ever use in 25-20 and 22 hornet, no matter what the load, are spp or Remington 6 1/2 and save the Remington 1 1/2's for 38 spl.

Boolit Master
    I also use LP in place of Lg rifle primers in cast loads. They are shallower and seat a tad deeper.

I am very mindful NOT to leave them lying around to be accidentally used in full house loads.

Boolit Master

I believe cup hardness is a consideration for auto/semi-auto firearms chambered in .223.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Power View Post
    Primer shortage is really becoming a pain, eh? I've resorted to using my Wolf SRM primers. Still got 2+k CCI No. 41, but saving them.

Took a test batch out this weekend and had two misfires...effing Russian kludge.
    Funny I’ve seen many people say that wolf primers are some of the most accurate out there for target shooting and whatnot.

Banned
    Yeah, I've seen guys say they're GTG too, just a bit harder than CCI. I have 2.5k of them...Both misfires had solid firing pin contact. Hadn't used these in a couple years b/c they did this to me once before too. Ah well, got no choice. Russian crap or not it's not like I'm gonna run out and pick up a couple thou more CCIs right now [shrug]

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Power View Post
    Yeah, I've seen guys say they're GTG too, just a bit harder than CCI. I have 2.5k of them...Both misfires had solid firing pin contact. Hadn't used these in a couple years b/c they did this to me once before too. Ah well, got no choice. Russian crap or not it's not like I'm gonna run out and pick up a couple thou more CCIs right now [shrug]
    I’ve found primers to be available I just picked up a couple thousand cci in small pistol and small rifle for $23 a box

Just gotta look around

Bass pro and Cabela’s sure ain’t got none though

Boolit Master

I used some CCI LP by error in my Argentine mauser. Just cast load data with Green dot. They worked fine. But the strike indent was deeper than LR.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    True confession time. I once got turned around reloading and primed 50 223 cases with standard small pistol primers and 50 357 Magnum cases with Small rifle primers. The 223 cases were loaded with W748 ball powder and 62 grain FMJ bullets. Both the 223 and the 357 magnum shot fine and I did not even have to re-zero to account for any difference. This is not my normal practice, but it turned out fine. Some people claim that with pistol primers in rifle cases is the slightly thinner metal of the pistol primers might allow the firing pin to pierce the primer. I imagine it depends on the rifle.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Hick, this has been my experience also. I have used CCI small pistol primers in 223 cast boolit loads in my AR. They are reduced, traveling 2000fps or slower. Primers aren't flattened and are not pierced. I do not allow anyone else to shoot this ammunition in their guns. Yes I do understand the possibility of slam fires, but in 3000 rounds through one AR it has not been an issue. I also use LP primers in reduced loads in 270 Win with Red Dot loads. These are around 1450fps with the same results, no flat or pierced primers. For full power loads, rifle rounds get rifle primers, but the reduced ones I have found for me require no special treatment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ianagos View Post
    Funny I’ve seen many people say that wolf primers are some of the most accurate out there for target shooting and whatnot.
    They are. But people don't know that they are meant for a AR type weapon that has a longer firing pin length. The russian primers were weird compared to other primers. When they said mag primers that meant a thicker cup with a standard primer. Then they had regular and 556 primers.

I can't shoot them in my Savage bolt gun in 223. I can hit that primer 20 times and it will not fire. But put that same round in my AR and it goes off.

I think they also made them like the cci 42 primers where the anvil was spaced farther away to help prevent a slam fire along with the thicker cup.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E88655C2-2AE9-4B6D-98D0-EF822A0EAC1B.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	265387
    Could you all look at this pic and tell me if you’ve seen those kinds of primer marks. These were shot from a new Glock 20 a friend of mine has. These sig rounds are stated to do 1250 and I’ve shot them out of my xdm with small amount of pin hole showing on primer face but nothing like that. Don’t own any glocks so is this normal for that pistol? If I were making these loads I would think too hot but they were factory sig 180 grain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BD6E256F-3956-4F78-8D4B-DFB13BD45300.jpeg  

Boolit Master
    Looks like typical Glock primer hits to me.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast