MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Use it religiously in the fuel tank of both Dodge Cummins powered pickups!!! One truck sits and is not driven but very seldom, so I double up on the MMO in the fuel, don't use it in the crankcase,( $7000 worth of race parts in that engine, so just motor oil and Lucas Oil treatment only), work truck (RAM 3500 4X4) gets MMO and Power Service Every third fill up in the fuel tank, none in the crankcase. Never had a problem with either engine. Turned up John Deere 2950 tractor gets MMO in the fuel only. All off road and on road diesel in drums around the shop get the MMO treatment at the least. Dose up the fuel for the 4 wheeler, dirt bikes and chain saws also. Not much, just some. Shop lube is MMO/ WD-40 mixed 50/50. Never thought about firearms lube, though! I buy it by the gallon when I can find it!!! ( you know when too much is added as my work truck will roll a little "coal" when you step on the throttle if you put too much in the fuel.) I like it, works for me. just my opinion only. P.S. gotta love that smell!!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I bought a 1974 BMW bike a good many years ago, it hadn't been rode for several years. I was told that the valves wouldn't last long with unleaded gas. A couple of ounces of MMO was added at every fill up. After 80,000 miles it was still fine, retired it but not because of the valves.

There is no way to know how much it helped but it sure didn't seem to hurt.

Boolit Mold
    Ive used it as an additive for small engines with old gas to help them go.

I used to add it to a Northstar powered Cadillac as it gave me the impression that it idled smoother and didn't have the carbon buildup.

The advantages in the Northstar may have been in my head, but adding a little would definately let an old tank of gas burn well when it otherwise wouldn't in a small engine. I've sense just used Stabil on non-ethanol fuel for all my small engines and for storing for emergency use. I got tired of running new fuel line on all my stuff... especially in 2 cycle engine powered tools. The way my hands are, I feel like replacing the line/filter/primers is as close to performing heart surgery as I'll ever get. The ethanol is great on a modern turbo car for adding timing... but it rots out all fuel line and primer bulbs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Use it religiously in the fuel tank of both Dodge Cummins powered pickups!!! One truck sits and is not driven but very seldom, so I double up on the MMO in the fuel, don't use it in the crankcase,( $7000 worth of race parts in that engine, so just motor oil and Lucas Oil treatment only), work truck (RAM 3500 4X4) gets MMO and Power Service Every third fill up in the fuel tank, none in the crankcase. Never had a problem with either engine. Turned up John Deere 2950 tractor gets MMO in the fuel only. All off road and on road diesel in drums around the shop get the MMO treatment at the least. Dose up the fuel for the 4 wheeler, dirt bikes and chain saws also. Not much, just some. Shop lube is MMO/ WD-40 mixed 50/50. Never thought about firearms lube, though! I buy it by the gallon when I can find it!!! ( you know when too much is added as my work truck will roll a little "coal" when you step on the throttle if you put too much in the fuel.) I like it, works for me. just my opinion only. P.S. gotta love that smell!!!!

Does MMO turn your on road diesel red? I have never been checked but I have been hesitant to add anything to "clear" diesel that would give the appearance of off road diesel. I do add 2 cycle oil from time to time, but never have used any red oil.

Boolit Master
    Well I can tell you that colouring diesel red isn't automatically harmful. But you have put your finger on a problem for users in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere. Red diesel is sold for farming and industrial use, at a greatly reduced rate of tax, but it is illegal to use under almost all circumstances on the road. There is no licence, and anybody can buy it, but the dealer is supposed to turn you in if he notices any suspicious circumstances, which putting it in the tank of your car would obviously be. A friend greatly regrets being unable to use it in his Cessna, which he never uses on the road.

The use of an additive which colours your diesel could therefore be a liability. Or a half-empty bottle a good explanation if it is time to do some fast talking... I suppose. But like a lot of other things, not being able to get a conviction needn't stop them making it more trouble than it is worth.

I've used MMO off and on for over 50 years. My Dad had a "service station" when I was a "youngster" (yep, even washed windshields!) and he always kept a 55gal drum of the stuff for people who still had machinery that ran on "white" gas. It was always known as an "upper lube" for sticky valves and lifters on vehicles even after "hydraulic valves" were the "norm". It was said that Lycoming aircraft engine company bought a case a year of MMO for "breaking in" their engines and initially MMO had an airplane on their original cans. I know of several airplane owners today that use it in the fuel and/or oil. Since the 70's, MMO stopped showing an airplane on their product, as I understand FAA pointed out it was never certified (blessed) by their agency, therefor could not possibly be OK to use (sarc). Early on before MMO became popular, a small amount of diesel fuel in gasoline was used as an upper lube; however, MMO smelled better and seemed to work better. One thing I found out is that MMO is a superb "penetrating oil", even when you don't want it to penetrate. I would caution anyone from using it in a fuel system where the tank is sealed with any kind of "caulking" material; you will discover leaks in areas that may require complete disassembly to reseal (don't ask me how I know!). I particularly use MMO 500 to 1000miles before an oil change because I believe the penetrating properties, combined with the deluting of the base oil helps clean out the engine. Like WD-40 it has many uses, many of which are probably pure "marketing hogwash", but it continues to sell and those of use who use it are convinced that it serves a useful purpose. (Anyone here use "horse liniment" for arthritis?)

I use MMO in a few of the padlocks I have that see constant weather. A few drops, a few times a year, and they always are free and smooth. I've never lubed a gun with it... But i might give it a go sometime.

Boolit Grand Master

MMO is composed of:
    74% Mineral Oil
    25% Stoddard Solvent (refined white mineral spirits aka paint thinner)
    01% Lard (the rendered fat from a hog)

A lot of lubricants are mineral oil based so it's no wonder MMO works . My Dad used it in his cars and boat motors religiously.
    I mix it 50/50 with ATF for an inexpensive CLP.

Does anyone remember , back in the 50's or 60's MMO being a clear color...not red like it is today ?
    I swear I remember my Dad filling a Coke bottle with clear MMO and pouring it into the gas tank of his car ....but I could be wrong.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

The only luquid I will put on a lock is Ballistol. It never, ever gums up. It too utilizes mineral oil.

I used to use MMO a LOT in the gas on my 74' F-100, used it every tank. I pretty much stopped using it when I changed plugs and the ceramic had a red color to them. Don't drive the 74' much any more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    MMO is composed of:
    74% Mineral Oil

A lot of lubricants are mineral oil based so it's no wonder MMO works . My Dad used it in his cars and boat motors religiously.

Does anyone remember , back in the 50's or 60's MMO being a clear color...not red like it is today ?
    I swear I remember my Dad filling a Coke bottle with clear MMO and pouring it into the gas tank of his car ....but I could be wrong.

Gary
    I used to know the medical officer on the Riyadh air force base, who told me that Saudis would throw away white pills, as everybody knows white pills don't do you any good. It is obvious when you think about it. So he had a catering-sized bottle of red cochineal food colouring in which he used to dip them. Same principle, possibly.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I pretty much stay away from all the "snake oils" after ruining a Ford Ranger with some teflon additive.
    After a while the teflon coating broke down and clogged the oil screen.
    Something like MMO should be relatively harmless though.
    Had that with Slick50 years ago... was headed to the U.P. for Spring gobbler murdering.....oil pump pickup on the Suburban clogged,,,, twice. Rod was knocking gently the last time. We were 1/2 way there.... no mans land. Decided to turn around, try to make it back home, and switch vehicles. Made it home without further incident. I pretty much stay away from all the snake oils too..... but MMO was good back in the day. Old timers used it in the old cars when the unleaded gas came out . Old timers-- yup... me now, I guess.
    Regards, Greg in West Mitten

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    MMO is composed of:
    74% Mineral Oil

Gary
    I believe it has Oil of Wintergreen in it
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Well I can tell you that colouring diesel red isn't automatically harmful. But you have put your finger on a problem for users in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere. Red diesel is sold for farming and industrial use, at a greatly reduced rate of tax, but it is illegal to use under almost all circumstances on the road. There is no licence, and anybody can buy it, but the dealer is supposed to turn you in if he notices any suspicious circumstances, which putting it in the tank of your car would obviously be. A friend greatly regrets being unable to use it in his Cessna, which he never uses on the road.

The use of an additive which colours your diesel could therefore be a liability. Or a half-empty bottle a good explanation if it is time to do some fast talking... I suppose. But like a lot of other things, not being able to get a conviction needn't stop them making it more trouble than it is worth.
    Red diesel in the States used to be a big selling point. You saw signs saying
    "Red Diesel sold here". I was never clear what that meant but I assumed some type of additive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    "Red Diesel sold here". I was never clear what that meant but I assumed some type of additive.
    All fuel sold for motor vehicles driven on the road is taxed.

When one has off road equipment - farm equipment, construction equipment, generators, etc - one is paying a road use tax for powered equipment that doesn't use roads.
    In the case of diesel fuel, one can purchase fuel that is untaxed, for off road use only. That's untaxed fuel is dyed red, to distinguish it from 'green', or 'white' (un-dyed) diesel which is taxed and designated for road use.

When diesel trucks are pulled over for inspection, one of the checks that can be done is 'dipping the tank', taking a sample of the fuel in the tank to check the color. Woe (and big fines) to the operator found using untaxed 'red diesel' on the road.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I've used MMO off and on for over 50 years. My Dad had a "service station" when I was a "youngster" (yep, even washed windshields!) and he always kept a 55gal drum of the stuff for people who still had machinery that ran on "white" gas. It was always known as an "upper lube" for sticky valves and lifters on vehicles even after "hydraulic valves" were the "norm". It was said that Lycoming aircraft engine company bought a case a year of MMO for "breaking in" their engines and initially MMO had an airplane on their original cans. I know of several airplane owners today that use it in the fuel and/or oil. Since the 70's, MMO stopped showing an airplane on their product, as I understand FAA pointed out it was never certified (blessed) by their agency, therefor could not possibly be OK to use (sarc). Early on before MMO became popular, a small amount of diesel fuel in gasoline was used as an upper lube; however, MMO smelled better and seemed to work better. One thing I found out is that MMO is a superb "penetrating oil", even when you don't want it to penetrate. I would caution anyone from using it in a fuel system where the tank is sealed with any kind of "caulking" material; you will discover leaks in areas that may require complete disassembly to reseal (don't ask me how I know!). I particularly use MMO 500 to 1000miles before an oil change because I believe the penetrating properties, combined with the deluting of the base oil helps clean out the engine. Like WD-40 it has many uses, many of which are probably pure "marketing hogwash", but it continues to sell and those of use who use it are convinced that it serves a useful purpose. (Anyone here use "horse liniment" for arthritis?)
    Got a bottle of Horse Liniment on the shelf. Best stuff ever after Bag Balm. When I cut a couple of fingers off with a chainsaw part of the physical therapy was a hot wax dip to loosen the rejoined fingers. After looking at the price of stretch wrap in the drug store I stopped by the fleet farm and got some horse wrap. Same thing, much cheaper and in nifty colors to boot

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    All fuel sold for motor vehicles driven on the road is taxed.

When one has off road equipment - farm equipment, construction equipment, generators, etc - one is paying a road use tax for powered equipment that doesn't use roads.
    In the case of diesel fuel, one can purchase fuel that is untaxed, for off road use only. That's untaxed fuel is dyed red, to distinguish it from 'green', or 'white' (un-dyed) diesel which is taxed and designated for road use.

When diesel trucks are pulled over for inspection, one of the checks that can be done is 'dipping the tank', taking a sample of the fuel in the tank to check the color. Woe (and big fines) to the operator found using untaxed 'red diesel' on the road.
    Yes, I know of that but this was before the tax and off road stuff. That tax was why the companies stopped selling Red Diesel.

Boolit Grand Master
    Best friends Dad ran propane in his pickup trucks back in the 70's. He had a setup that would add MMO to the vaporized propane, to help the valves/seats.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Yes, I know of that but this was before the tax and off road stuff. That tax was why the companies stopped selling Red Diesel.
    Must have been a long time ago. The Fed Gov't began taxing motor vehicle fuel in 1932.
    The states started several years prior to that.

Boolit Master
    My father bought a Cessna 182 Skylane in 1970.

At the time he bought it the folks he bought it from did a Top Chrome major on the Continental O 470 engine.

Chrome rings and cylinders break in poorly sometimes because of their hardness.

The oil consumption ran 1 qt every 7 hrs.

My father is a fan of “Marvel” from when he was a young adult and used it on some of his girl chasing cars.

At the next oil change he added one qt of MMO to the crankcase of his new to him Cessna. The oil consumption immediately dropped to one qt every 20 hrs. For several changes he maintained using the MMO and out of curiosity he dropped it one change and the engine immediately went back to burning a qt in 7 hrs.

Next oil change he added the MMO and never looked back because the oil loss went right back to the qt in 20 hrs.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 06-17-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast