RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil

Boolit Master
    Only thing I add to diesel is about 12 OZ of Walmart Supertech 2 stroke TC-W3 oil at nearly every fill-up in my Dodge Cummins.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Some say to add a quart 100 miles before an oil change to clean stuff up. I've been using it for years in both oil and gas with a quart added at every oil change. I do think that it works but my opinion isn't worth much.

All I know is that I ran it in a car i had and when I pulled the valve covers they were cleaner than they had a right to be at that mileage.

It makes a good metal lube when drilling holes but so does Ballistol and Kroil. I've also used it in my Bostich air tools.
    Last edited by jonp; 06-11-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Only thing I add to diesel is about 12 OZ of Walmart Supertech 2 stroke TC-W3 oil at nearly every fill-up in my Dodge Cummins.
    Some guys rave about Lucas or Howes and say it works, guys I respect so I don't doubt them. The only thing I've added to my semi is Power Service Anti Freeze in the winter but normally just a bottle of cheap 90% Alcohol in each tank once a week in the winter.

Boolit Bub
    I know of some airplane A&P’s that swear it will keep valves from sticking and use it religiously

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Some guys rave about Lucas or Howes and say it works, guys I respect so I don't doubt them. The only thing I've added to my semi is Power Service Anti Freeze in the winter but normally just a bottle of cheap 90% Alcohol in each tank once a week in the winter.
    Not sure I would use alcohol as a cetane booster.

Dad used to use a shot of ether on the 671 Detroit diesel for cold weather starts.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure I would use alcohol as a cetane booster.

Dad used to use a shot of ether on the 671 Detroit diesel for cold weather starts.
    No, not a cetane booster. For water in the diesel/ condensation in the tanks

Boolit Grand Master

Been using MMO for 40 yrs in air tools. Some sit for years in an unheated shed between uses but they always work. I suspect it works as a detergent in engine crankcases; good for maintenance but possibly a bad idea for sludged-up engines. Sludge loosened up by cleaners can be pretty effective at clogging oil sump pickup screens and causing REAL problems. I'd be hesitant to use it for a fuel additive in newer gas engines, can only imagine the trouble sensors and catalytic converters might have with it. I use factory spec oil at factory intervals and I burn the best fuel I can find.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Lots of neat stories here. Thanks everyone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    No, not a cetane booster. For water in the diesel/ condensation in the tanks
    AH! Now I capice.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Get's the energy content back up to what it was before the low sulfur stuff was forced on us. Old John Deer 4020 always consumed less #2 diesel than #1. And, back in my navy days the EDG burned less naval fuel oil than when we had to switch over to JP5. In large EDGs (think 5 MW) the fuel tanks that used to be sized for 7 days at full load no longer had any margin for required testing once we went to the low sulfur stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Get's the energy content back up to what it was before the low sulfur stuff was forced on us. Old John Deer 4020 always consumed less #2 diesel than #1. And, back in my navy days the EDG burned less naval fuel oil than when we had to switch over to JP5. In large EDGs (think 5 MW) the fuel tanks that used to be sized for 7 days at full load no longer had any margin for required testing once we went to the low sulfur stuff.
    Not sure that it makes any measurable difference in "energy". I use it to replace the lubricity lost by the reduction in sulfur. Hoping it will increase the life of the VP44 injector pump.

- Thomas Jefferson

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i think the best thing you can do for a motor is buy quality gas . had old celebrity and just could not get it to run right .was buying whatever gas was cheap. haf it tuned motor cleaned internally no good . by chance bought a tank of bp and after about 20 miles motor smoothed out had more power and got 40 more miles out of that tank switched and car ran great like it did when new. now use it in both Cadillacs and i can tell when i have to use cheaper gas as they lose about two to three miles per gallon. i think any quality gas would do same or seems to. looked around on internet to find out why and only thing i could come up with is most of cheap gas is from venezuelan oil heavy crude which foes not have energy contint as light sweet crude. you may want to give it a try if it doesn't work for you only lost couple bucks difference in price.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Been using MMO for 40 yrs in air tools. Some sit for years in an unheated shed between uses but they always work. I suspect it works as a detergent in engine crankcases; good for maintenance but possibly a bad idea for sludged-up engines. Sludge loosened up by cleaners can be pretty effective at clogging oil sump pickup screens and causing REAL problems. I'd be hesitant to use it for a fuel additive in newer gas engines, can only imagine the trouble sensors and catalytic converters might have with it. I use factory spec oil at factory intervals and I burn the best fuel I can find.

Where I last worked as a Pipefitter I used air tools for various jobs. I learned early on from a crusty old fella to get a good sized eye dropper and put a full dropper of MMO in any air tool I was about to use. I would rev the tool up to blow out any excess oil before using. After 35 years I retired and gifted all my air tools to other tradesmen, only hope they were listening when I told them about using the oil.Robert

Boolit Master
    When I bought my '66 Mustang, the engine hadn't been started in over 8 years. It was stuck when I bought it. I removed the spark plugs and put about 6 pumps of MMO from a squirt can in each cylinder and let it sit for several days. After working the crank back and forth for a few minutes I was able to turn the engine over by hand several times. It's been running fine for 10 years now. I've put some in the fuel on the Mustang in the past and can't say I ever noticed any difference, but on a car that see's less than 2,000 miles a year it may not be apparent. Where I always use it is in my air tools. I have a squirt can and use it on anything that needs lubricated as well. I think it is a better penetrating oil than most spray cans that are labeled as sutch.

Boolit Master
    I occasionally add it to the tank in my 2002 Toyota and have done so for 10 years. It seems to make it run a tad more smoothly. Also, before oil changes I'll add a pint of MMO to the crankcase and drive it for 30 minutes and then have oil changed. I have the oil changed 3 times per year, and the oil has never appeared dark or dirty. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. Like others I would not add MMO to a new car or truck.

Moderator Emeritus

besides using Seafoam to treat gasoline...it's also good to reduce sludge in the engine. I'll put a pint in with the engine oil right before a change, drive 50 miles or so, then change the oil. Also, on carburetor type cars, you can clean the carb by pouring seafoam right into the air intake of the carb while the car is running, engine must be hot at operating temperature, pour slowly until the cars dies, let sit for 20 minutes, then start, the car will make a bunch of smoke for 10 minutes or so.

According to a local Minnesota talk radio guy (Autotalk), Seafoam's formula is basically 1/3 Isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 stodard solvent, 1/3 light weight machine/tool oil...so you can see why it would work good for cleaning a carb or cleaning the sludge from the crankcase of a gas engine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Read the MSDS for MMO. It is nothing special.
    It is mostly naptha with a little mineral spirits.
    But you don't have to take my word. Just ask any chemist or chemistry teacher.
    It is only fit to clean greasy engine parts as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by EDG; 06-13-2018 at 03:03 AM.
    EDG

Banned
    I used to use MM oil a lot. Mostly in the gas tank. Now I just use kerosene. 12oz kero per every 5 to 10 fill ups. Keeps her running well...keeps the injectors clean. And the bottom line ....CHEAP.

Boolit Master
    I had a Troy-Built rototiller with no compression, put a ounce of Marvel through the spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple days. It started right up. Figure the rings were stuck in their grooves. The product worked great!

Now that ATF smells like hypoid I use Marvel in Ed's Red.

I think using it as a fuel additive is a good way to boost Marvel's sales.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Always used it on my competitive pistols. A drop on the bbl/slide junction, a drop on each side for the slide, and didn't worry about malfunctions...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast