Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: bullet size for 8x50R Mannlicher?

Boolit Master

bullet size for 8x50R Mannlicher?

I have an M95 in 8x50R. It has a good bore and I would like to find an accurate load for it. I don't have any molds in this caliber. I fired a few rounds in 323. The original bullet was, I understand, .324. However, the grove diameter, I slugged at .329. I do have some grafs J bullets for the 8x56R in .329. However, the neck of the fired case measures 327 ID. I know that if the neck is too tight in the chamber it will dangerously increase pressures. So how tight is too tight? If a cartridge loaded with a .329 bullet chambers easily, is that ok?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    ... So how tight is too tight? If a cartridge loaded with a .329 bullet chambers easily, is that ok?
    Probably.

Lee has a mould that throws a .329, 205 gr boolit. They will cast .330+ a couple of thousandths. They are for the 8x56Rmm but I am using them in a 8x58RD with an oversized bore. Look on the closeouts page.

Jack

Boolit Master

Thanks. I am aware of that mold, and have been thinking about getting it. I guess I could size these bullets down a couple thousands with a custom mold if they are too large to chamber.

Boolit Master

Ahem! My recollection is that the 8x50R is a .323" groove diameter. The later 8x56R is .329" groove diameter, but with Milsurps that old, who knows what you will find.
    http://randyrick.us/AustrianFirearms/rm1895.htm
    http://home.att.net/~vintage-gunlore/8x50r.htm

Here is a post by someone with an 8x50R that found he has a .330" groove diameter:
    http://p207.ezboard.com/fsteyrmannli...picID=44.topic

The best thing you can do is slug your bore.

CDD

Boolit Master

Those are some vary helpful links. I have slugged my bore at .329 and one of the articles more or less answered my question. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    It was my understanding that the 8X50R was made with a .323 bullet, though the gun itself had .329 grooves. It was a common thing to do at the time; it was felt that the bullet would upset into the rifling.

Later when the round was improved by lengthening and more power, bullet diameter was increased to .329 for a better bore fit- a lot of guns were converted adn the conversion consisted of re-chambering the original barrels in most cases. No work was done to the bore.

So your measurements are spot on normal and if it chambers fine, it should shoot fine with .329 bullets.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I have a pre-WW I 8 X 50 R Austrian Stalking Carbine on the 1895 action that is a Ferlach Guild gun. The bore and groove are very close to the 8mm Mauser specs. It is .312/.324.

I haven't shot lead in it , but the Sierra 170 grain sp works very well with lots of IMR 4064. Double set triggers, matted rib,full stock blond walnut, grip cap,wood checkered, butt trap a'la' Mannlicher -Schoenauer, horn nose cap, forearm wedges. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    The best rule of thumb of course is- slug your bore and whatever the diameter is supposed to be doesn't matter; match bullet fit to your bore, so long as it will chamber. I've shot .318" gew. 88 bullets out of a very oversized .303 brit bore with good results.

Boolit Bub
    Original Austrian chambered Mannlihcers are like sugar coated crack to me and have been for years. I've owned/own examples of the 1886, 1888, 1890, 1895 in ORIGINAL chamberings and the bores are all "oversized" vis. vis the projectiles as Austrians put great faith in obturating rounds. Numerous types of cores and jacketed materials were experimented with as long as powder types (smokeless, black, "semi smokeless" pelletized etc). To repeat what's been already said above the only rule of thumb when reloading for these is to carefully slug the bore at both ends.
    For the Love of God People!! It's A TURRET Press not a TURRENT Press!!