RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon RL550B

Boolit Buddy

Dillon RL550B

I have a chance to buy a new in the box Dillon RL550B. The guy said he bought it around 2010 and never had it out of the box and realizes he never will. He is tired of dragging it around as apparently he moves to another apartment every few years. I have seen the box and I believe he is straight up on this.
    Anyway he wants $420.00 for it. The December 2018 catalog shows the RL550C at $480.00 so not much of a savings new or not for one generation back.
    I have never owned a Dillon so you folks that have them is this a go or should I pass? Any comments on what its really worth if you think his number is too high will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Boolit Man
    As a result of the great warranty Dillon hold their value better than most. Regardless of age they often sell for 80% of new. IF all the original box contents are there it doesn't seem like a bad deal. The new C model provides easier lubrication but that's not a big deal to me.
    My three Dillon presses have been flawless. The telephone support is super helpful when you have a question. I'd do it if all the original contents of the box are present.

Dillon no longer catalogs the RL 550B. The RL 550C is $480 with one caliber conversion kit, but no dies. Don't forget that Dillon will add shipping to that $480 ($25 to my house, your mileage may vary). Does the one you're considering have a caliber conversion kit that you need. They are $48 with a new machine, but vary in cost for add-on units. If the conversion kit you're getting is not the one you need, then you're saving about $16 plus shipping on an older model.

My three Dillon machines, two RL 450s and an XL 650 are wonderful, and I wouldn't consider another brand. However, they have been far from flawless. The XL 650 has issues handling primers. I've given up on loading rimmed cartridges on it. The RL 450 machines have been upgraded to RL 550 except they do not have interchangeable tool heads. They are not quite as fast as the XL 650, but are more reliable with rimmed cartridges.

All of these models are terrible about handling spent primers. My XL 650 now sports an aftermarket upgrade that works well. Get used to sweeping up spent primers until you find a cure for the Dillon catchment system.

I am not sure about the difference between 550B and 550C models but I run two 550B and have since about 1985. They are super, including their primer catching systems. As Tatume points out, if the offered press does not have a caliber conversion that you need, the price is a bit too high. Personally, unless the seller will come down to about $350, I would order a new press from Dillon. The 550 series is probably the best of the basic progressive presses, the easiest for the inexperienced progressive operator to learn to use and versatile in their application.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

The C has a different frame and thread in pivots, it won’t do anything a B cannot.

I have a 550B & am completely happy with it.

Graf & Son www.grafs.com is a Dillon dealer. Their price on the 550C without the conversion kit is $429.99, they have flat rate shipping of $7.95 & their conversion kit price is $49.99 for most cartridges & $59.99 for a few exotic cartridges.

Consider this in making your decision........especially if the cartridge conversion which is included with the $480.00 deal is not one you will use.

As far as 550B vs 550C: for me there isn't enough difference to matter.

Henry
    .................................................. .................................................. ............
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder........all others are just games.

Boolit Grand Master

Dillon RL550B

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    The C has a different frame and thread in pivots, it won’t do anything a B cannot.
    Yep, it’s simply an update and doesn’t offer any real advantage over the B frame. I have a 450 that I really like since there’s no play in the top of the press. I see no need to convert that press over. Most people did convert them so they can set up a tool head once and slide it in and out as needed.

At the end of the day the OP would be getting a brand new press for less than he can buy it anywhere else. The conversion kit obviously comes into play. But you can buy the parts individually. Depending on what parts it has and what parts it would need he may only have to buy one part, like a powder funnel, to convert it to another cartridge.

Here is a website that tells you what pieces you need versus what you have: http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconver...hoose+Machines

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone!
    Yes the press is complete including the instruction manual and I think he said there is a video also. It is set up for .38 Spec. which I can use.
    He said he could come down a little so would I be insulting him if I offered like $380.00? Its not so much the the size of the number as it is not going factory new when that would be a better deal. I didn't think about shipping either, this would be a local pickup on my way home.

The advice is much appreciated.

If he said he is willing to come down, he wants to sell the item and hopes you will make an offer. Make the offer if you want the press.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    If he said he is willing to come down, he wants to sell the item and hopes you will make an offer. Make the offer if you want the press.
    /\ This

Make an offer. The seller can: accept it, reject it or make a counter offer. There's no harm in making an offer.

And BTW, he wants to sell it. Make that process easier for him by standing there with cash in your hand

Boolit Master
    If you offer 380 he will likely counter with 400 but should not be offended.

If he gets huffy with you do not take it personally is the way I see it. If he said “firm” he would have cause to be miffed but he said he was flexible. If he gets huffy after indicating some flex then I would politely thank him and move on.

He can continue to drag his ball and chain and you can move on to whatever you care to.

Three44s

Boolit Master

Offer him $350 for the "old" model and go up from there. Don't give him what he wants.

Is there anything that goes with it?
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    I will add something to think about. The 550 is the best progressive press ever made. Its almost bullet proof! I own a 1050, 650, and 550. There are days I hate the 1050. Most of the time the 650 is a problem. The 550 is simple and fast enough. All the dillions work well but you are not compromising with the 550.

Just my 2cents worth

I don't care if you buy this or new you just need one

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the comments gents.
    I find he does have other items that he wants to sell as well and all new in the box. One is a Lyman power trimmer that he said he paid $260.00 for, does anyone know anything about them?

Boolit Buddy
    Ok folks I am now the owner of a new RL550B, got it for $360.00.
    I greatly appreciate the guidance from all of you. He had the little bag with the shell plate and powder funnel for .38 Spec. but the dies are Lee carbide. One set of .38 Spec. and one set .357 Mag. All new so I offered $40.00 for the pair. Lee is not my favorite brand but I have a few sets in pistol calibers and they work ok on my single stage press and at that price I can always sell them if needs be. Any concerns with using them on the 550?

Thanks again for the help on this.

Boolit Master
    If its new or used they warranted anyone of there products even if you are not the original buyer . As far as price that is good but not great ,how are you at negotiations ? You need conversion kit for different calibers read the manual .

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Ok folks I am now the owner of a new RL550B, got it for $360.00.
    Nice score.

Check out the videos online from Dillon for cleaning and lubing the 550. It's probably fine, but it's been sitting for 8 years and working through the cleaning will teach you about how the press is put together. As others have said...simple, trouble free, plenty fast, bullet proof.

Banned

id offer 350 and if he says no walk away for a week and see if he changes his mind. One thing you have going for you is in the real world not many people (at least in my town) load enough to even consider a progressive or semi progressive press and he isn't going to have anyone beating his door down to buy it. He sure isn't getting what hes asking even on line for it and your offer would keep him from having to bother with shipping it.

The Lee dies will work with the Dillon press but for $30 more you could have gone with Dillon dies, which I think are $30 better. Their decap system is virtually fool proof and the seating die system has a 2 profile seating plug for RN and SWC bullet profiles. The seating stem can be removed for cleaning without having to reset the seating depth.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    The Lee dies will work with the Dillon press but for $30 more you could have gone with Dillon dies, which I think are $30 better.
    I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast