MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New help on price of a Marlin 336 SS 30-30

New help on price of a Marlin 336 SS 30-30

What is the value of a Marlin 336 SS 30-30 with Walnut Stock , JM barrel stamp. new in box never fired with all papers. Owner thinks it was made 2005 or 6 . he is asking 950.00

IMO, he's either out of his mind, or a legend in his own mind............ IME, it's only worth about half of what he's asking (+/-).

JM-era Marlin 336SS's are surely more desirable to some folks the Remington-era Marlins, but they're certainly not collectible.

You can easily verify my estimate via surfing ONLY sold guns-only auction websites for another NIB M-336SS to find out it's true value - the $$$ that somebody's been actually willing to pay for one TODAY (or recently), and not whenever.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I've seen people asking that much for them but not sure if they are selling. I'd like to pick one up myself, JM only but I'm not willing to pay those prices.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

If someone pays that; they are crazy. The hidden gems are the store brand Marlins- JC Higgins, Westernfield, Revelation, etc.
    Used 336 30-30's go for $3-400 here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If someone pays that; they are crazy. The hidden gems are the store brand Marlins- JC Higgins, Westernfield, Revelation, etc.
    Used 336 30-30's go for $3-400 here.
    What he says.

Boolit Master
    I would sink my money into a new Remlin SS for the low $500's before buying any JM, even if the JM cost less. The last two Remlins I bought were put together extremely well
    East Tennessee

Talk to the fellow a few hours ago. Say he sold it for 900.00

Boolit Master
    Not worth 950.00. Maybe a century from today it might? Today's acceptable selling price. >(Original MSRP back in 05/06 is fair and what I would pay. If? I were looking for a like new >second-hand< unfired.< __(Box & papers have little value but only to collectors.)

MSRP on a new SS 336 is in the high 7oo.s . Why buy old when new can be bought for much less.

Said it was a collector that bought it and was happy to get it at that price.

Boolit Master
    Then $900 was its value. Because a thing's value is what a person is willing to pay for it. Too rich for my blood, but good for the seller.

Boolit Master

So, you're the guy that got the two good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I would sink my money into a new Remlin SS for the low $500's before buying any JM, even if the JM cost less. The last two Remlins I bought were put together extremely well

I saw one Sunday in very nice shape tagged at $600 and I'm sure the guy would bump at least
    $25. There were a lot of blue JMs, pre safety from $300-$500. The 30/30s were on the lower end
    of this scale. 35 cals and 32Ws seemed to be more, condition being equal. The Marlins in Ohio
    legal deer calibres were high compared to average national prices. 45/70-444-375w-38/55- 45Colt
    44mg-41mg-357mg are in hi demand. There were a lot of used Remlin 1895s for sale, they were
    the best buys if you wanted to take a chance on them. In the 3 yrs of Ohio rifle season Remlins
    have built a bad reputation and are hard to sell. This was the top selling rifle when season started.
    The problems with them have killed sales on them and everyone is looking for JMs. The 2 good ones they made never made it to these parts. Anyone that has a good one I am happy for, but I
    don't want any part of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    So, you're the guy that got the two good ones.
    Visit more forums and you will find more happy owners. My 3 JM's I purchased in the 2000-2008 time frame were all junk.
    Luck of the draw either way.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith said Marlin was having a lot of quality problems before they were sold out and it just got worse. I bought one in the early 2000's but looked it over before buying it. Even that can't catch all the problems, buying most any gun can be a shot in the dark.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Prices vary from area to area. That price is way too much around here (Eastern Ky), but other places it may not be. I see them for around 400 bucks pretty often within a 100 mile radius of me.. I bought one for 350.00 a few years ago, but it needed a little work, but nothing major. I would try to find a mid 70's or older 336. I think they had better quality control in older guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Visit more forums and you will find more happy owners. My 3 JM's I purchased in the 2000-2008 time frame were all junk.
    Luck of the draw either way.
    I agree; I bought my 336 in 1978 from a TG&Y store (similar to Walmart) and it's a great 30-30. JM stamped and very accurate just with the irons.

Boolit Grand Master

There's no way I'd pay near double the cost of new. I hope whoever paid for it is happy with it.

I've seen 95+% Pre64 Winnys for less than that recently and I passed on it.

Did not mean to open a can of worms. Both walked away Happy so let it rest . Like the old saying (To Each His Own)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Did not mean to open a can of worms. Both walked away Happy so let it rest . Like the old saying (To Each His Own)

I wouldn't say it's a can of worms. If both walked away happy, that's all that matters. If you're looking for a good 30/30 there are many options out there and some hidden gems as mentioned with the private label branded firearms.

Banned
    brstevns,

What it's really worth is about 150-200 bucks, though most such rifles in this "overheated market" would be 2-3X times that much.
    (Model 336 rifles are anything BUT rare.- They are just "hunting guns".)

just my OPINION, tex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast