RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curses on banansa

Boolit Master

Curses on banansa

I was enjoying a delicious pizza and watching one of the so called lost episodes when Ben Cartwright grabs a '92 Winchester by the end of the barrel and wraps it around a rock . It was a very nice rifle in either 38-40 or 44-40. You can tell that by looking at the front barrel band. If the band goes around the barrel it is one of the two. The 32-20 and 25-20 used a band that was milled into the barrel and only held the magazine. The upper and lower tang were mangled and the stock was shattered. Almost took my appetite away. Almost, after all it was a delicious pizza.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Lorne Greene was anti-gun.

Boolit Master

ya The believe "Italian "repo" industry started in 1959 and was just a few pistols. Most likely anything you see in oldies was the real deal. '92s Win were plentiful and cheap back then.

Boolit Master
    I made a mistake, not that it matters but it was Adam not Ben that destroyed the '92. Parnell Roberts got tired of playing the same role year after year and gave up a big check every week to go out on his own, emote and disappear from view. The other three actors rode it out to the end.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My understanding is that most of the prop guns that got treated roughly were cheap Spanish copies.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I read in a western mag that The Rifleman used a cheep reproduction to kick around the dirt and saved the nice modified Winchester for close up shots. The article also stated that many of the Colts and Winchesters had been refinished several times, they were considered props not collectables at that time.

Dave

In Remembrance

I read somewhere that because of Greenes feelings about guns the characters never had any type of fake cartridges in their gunbelts. Watch closely, it`s true.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I was enjoying a delicious pizza and watching one of the so called lost episodes when Ben Cartwright grabs a '92 Winchester by the end of the barrel and wraps it around a rock .
    If memory serves me rightly it was an early western set in the immediate post-Civil War period, which would make that an interesting trick if they could do it. Still, even Conan the Barbarian had an aluminium duplicate of his sword for the faster moments, and he was a Republican.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My understanding is that most of the prop guns that got treated roughly were cheap Spanish copies.
    I know that but the Spanish had different rear sights. When MGM sold off all their props. Martin Redding bought most if not all the guns. He had a gun shop a short distance from the studio. In his shop he had rows of guns used in films and many were stamped El Tigre which is the name the Spanish gave them. They were sold through out central and South America. All were chambered in 44-40. Some were junk and some were pretty good but none of them compared to a Winchester. A club member gave me one that was pure junk. It was made of very soft steel and the chamber had extreme head space. When I shot it, the case separated in the chamber. A gun smith wielded a piece of steel to the front of the bolt, turned it down and it worked ok. I soon traded the piece of junk to someone else. Another give-a-way in spotting an El Tigre is the fact that most if not all had a sling swivel attached to the forward barrel band on the forend. I have no trouble telling the difference, even on film.

Boolit Master
    Spanish firearm quality is more variable than Belgian, even. Some, such as the 1930s swing-out Smith and Wesson copies were rated about equal with the originals by Smith and Wesson. But the bottom of the market was atrocious, without even the safety that a reliable proof system about guarantees in an unimpaired Belgian gun. Those made for the South American market, where the main purpose of a small-calibre revolver was often to take an adversary's eye off the knife for a vital split second, were often the worst.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I was enjoying a delicious pizza and watching one of the so called lost episodes when Ben Cartwright grabs a '92 Winchester by the end of the barrel and wraps it around a rock . It was a very nice rifle in either 38-40 or 44-40. You can tell that by looking at the front barrel band. If the band goes around the barrel it is one of the two. The 32-20 and 25-20 used a band that was milled into the barrel and only held the magazine. The upper and lower tang were mangled and the stock was shattered. Almost took my appetite away. Almost, after all it was a delicious pizza.
    Actually, if the front band goes around the barrel, with a rear ban around the forestock & barrel, it is simply a carbine, irrespective of caliber.

If the magazine is held by a ring dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel, and no rear band it is a "rifle", again, irrespective of caliber.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bands vs Rings.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	191300

BTW, it was "Bonanza", light drama as entertainment... not deep social commentary. (Insert favored naval expletive & a smiley-face here)!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Hop Sing cook good!

BB

Boolit Master
    It has been many years since I owned a '92 but I at one time I owned six of them. I was wondering if in the picture you shared if any of the carbines were in 25-20 or 32-20? I seem to remember that there was enough meat at the end of the barrel to insert a dove tail for those two calibers. I could be mistaken, I have been before. My older brother has a beautiful little carbine in 25-20 that I sold him for a whopping hundred bucks about forty years ago. I would call and ask him but he is getting around with the help of a walker and he would have to go down a small flight of stairs to get to the gun safe so I wont bother to call him. I know that all the rifles had the dove tail at the fore end of the barrel. Light drama or not, Parnel Roberts destroyed a nice '92 carbine. The series was stupid anyway and bore not the slightest resemblance to actual ranch life, then or now. They spent all their time either helping total strangers or getting out of a murder charge in some distant little town. Of course Hoss & Little Joe were going to town for supplies in every show. You might ask, then why bother to watch it. I like to see the horses, guns & to have something to complain about.

Boolit Master

Hoss got kid napped a lot and little Joe it seems was always getting shot or a head injury

In Remembrance
    Correct ranch life or not, it beat the hell out of watching the simpsons, or many other offerings we have for choices these days. lol

And if you were a female love interest of any of the Cartwright's the episode didn't end well for you.

I get sick too when they are told to "Drop your gun" and they actually drop them.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

Any gun that was ruined was following the script, blame the writers as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Hoss got kid napped a lot and little Joe it seems was always getting shot or a head injury
    He was lucky they didn't hit him in a vital spot. I don't remember if it figures in that series or not, but there was quite a vogue for the apparently shot hero lurching to his feet muttering "They only creased me." Surgeon-Colonel La Garde was quite specific about bullet grazes of the skull. He said he would normally trephine a small disc from the skull with a holesaw, to make sure dislodged flakes hadn't damaged the brain or dura mater membrane. He didn't do that just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I get sick too when they are told to "Drop your gun" and they actually drop them.
    I recall an episode of Paladin where he was told to drop his gun by a bad guy. He said " You can have it, but I'm not going to drop it, and you keep it clean."

Way to go!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast