RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Polishing media for brass tumbling...

Polishing media for brass tumbling...

Has anyone tried using dried and cut Scouring Rush (Horsetail or Snakegrass) as a polishing media? These plants have silica in their stalks and have been used for polishing reeds for woodwind instruments and other cleaning needs.
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Wouldn't even know where to get it or even what it is.

Boolit Master
    I have not even considered it, but if I did, I would be sure to do some sort of a "rinse" like citic acid/dish soap/water, or something simliar afterwards. I would think that silica, which is , to me, a basic part of sand, would be quite abrasive & I would not want any of the remnants/dust to make it anywhere near my dies or even the insides of my firearms.

I will say that I have used that sort of plant for cleaning pans like it's nickname before though. It does work, and it is almost as good as sand, or better even than just plain water & a rag.

I will be interested to see if anyone has ever used any of that stuff for cleaning brass.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I wouldn't know what that is even if i saw it.

Boolit Master
    Common Horsetail/Snakegrass (Equisetum):
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

ContinentalsUS/Alaska/Canada range:
    Source: https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=EQAR (< has larger map where you can see more detailed regions.)

{Looks like almost all over in certain areas, but for Louisiana & Florida. Use the link to get more details for your own area. }

More info from USDA: https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pl..._arvense.shtml
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Seven counties in Arkansas, out of 75. Have never seen it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    Has anyone tried using dried and cut Scouring Rush (Horsetail or Snakegrass) as a polishing media? These plants have silica in their stalks and have been used for polishing reeds for woodwind instruments and other cleaning needs.
    Never heard of it but it sounds like fine grit organic sandpaper. ??

Personal opinion; reloaders benefit from clean cases but we really don't need sandpapered (or glittery polished) cases.

I've been doing this reloading thing a very long time now. I've used different case cleaning systems - wet, dry, shake, roll, ultrasonic - and various media. I always go back to my original vib. tumblers with standard 20-40 grit cob or fine walnut because I find no meaningful difference between them and my cases come out immediately ready to use.

Boolit Master

Thanks, but I will stick w/ little steel thingamajigs.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Give it a try...wash the cases good afterwards and report back. Never heard of it myself...but I'd try it if I could find it.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Thanks, but I will stick w/ little steel thingamajigs.
    Those little steel thingamajigs work great, outside and inside the cases, and some people do like them, good if you don't mind the downsides. I'd not try to change anyone's mind but I'm lazy; I find wet tumbling to be far too costly for what it does, it's messy, time consuming in the set up, operation and rinsing, then there's the put away and wipe down conclusion. And all that's before the required drying time before the cases can be safely used.

I tried the steel pins and ultrasonics but wet case cleaning is not for me. My dry tumbling works good, it's fast, inexpensive and with minimum fuss.

Mox nix, at the end of the day all cleaning methods get us to the same goal; different folks, different strokes ....

Boolit Master
    I think that just about anything would work in a pinch, shredded oak leaves, crushed acorn caps, dried seeds, wood shavings, shredded newspaper. I generally feel that the effort required to use such “free” alternatives probably exceeds the cost of the media that are commonly used.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    ... I generally feel that the effort required to use such “free” alternatives probably exceeds the cost of the media that are commonly used.
    My thoughts also.

Certainly there's a lot to be said for "free", but if you have to find it, harvest it, dry it and then chop it up before you have a usable product, that totally discounts your time and effort.

Boolit Master
    With SS pin tumbling, the media is a one-time cost, since it never wears out.
    The only consumable per cleaning cycle is water, a cap full of soap (e.g. amour-all wash+wax), and an 1/4 teaspoon citric acid/lemi-shine,
    which amounts to pennies.

Sparkly clean, looks-brighter-than-new brass results

I use Lizard Litter from the pet store. It is fine ground Walnut hulls. Small enough that it does not stick in the flash hole. I add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish and 1/2 cap full of paint thinner to the media and let run for about 20 minutes then add the brass. I can usually run 4 - 5 batches of brass before I need to add more polish. Gets dirty brass clean and shiny on the outside in about 2 hours run time. Does not clean inside. I don't know how long a bag of Lizard Litter will last because I have been using out of my bag for about 3 years and still have more than 1/2 a bag left.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin