Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about a coke?

Boolit Grand Master

I thought we invented the straw and church key trick.
    Hadn't thought about that in years.

In Remembrance
    The little town I finished high school in, did not have any place open after 5 or 6 in the evening. The school was easy to break in and had one of the maze type coke machines.
    It seems odd now to think we used to break and enter pretty often, to pay for a coke. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I thought we invented the straw and church key trick.
    Hadn't thought about that in years.
    I believe that was the main reason they fazed those out when they did.... but why did you need a straw? A cup would do... just pop the top and hold your cup under it.... unless you wanted it all...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    down at the weldshop they had an old machine that stood on legs. I dropped many rubbed off buffalo nickels in it. you had to give them an extra .02 if you wanted to take the bottle with you.

They make good gun safes.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    There was one Coke machine that had a 5 C coin slot and a 4 X 6" door, when you deposited the nickel in the slot you raised the door and pulled out the bottle, the raising of the door pulled the next bottle up for service, there was a "chain" of linked cylinders that held the bottles, you could raise the door any time, but the next bottle wasn't exposed until a coin was deposited and the door raised again.

I can remember the debut of the Coke king size 12 oz bottles, think it was about the same time Elvis hit the Ed Sullivan show with the censors blocking out the picture from his waist down ,that if I can remember was about '57 ?

Cane sugar was the sweetener replaced by corn syrup with the "New Coke debacle" that cost them a bunch of money, they went back to the "original"recipie, but retained the corn syrup.

The part of the country I live and worked in had a product called Double Cola and to my taste, has that original Coke taste, of course we all know that taste is very relative to the person doing the tasting.

Any one here drink Ale 8 One , if you do bet your from KY ?
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

In Remembrance

Our mechanic shop at the tractor dealership had a rotary Coke machine up by the office. At 3:00 PM we took a break and started a deal of seeing who's bottle was from furthest away and the closest had to buy drinks next time. One of the fellows started volunteering to go get the cokes from the machine. We became suspicious after he was always furthest away, so someone followed him to spy on him and saw him going through the empties in the cases and pouring his into that bottle. That ended the game. For those of you too young to remember the bottles were returned to the distributor to be cleaned and refilled. If you took the bottle there was a 3 cent deposit. Most, but not all, bottles were marked with the town and state of the distributor.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    [QUOTE=DLCTEX For those of you too young to remember the bottles were returned to the distributor to be cleaned and refilled. If you took the bottle there was a 3 cent deposit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I forgot all about hustling returns during summer vacation, we used to walk the roads and check all the trash cans for empties, turn them in at the local mom and pop grocery and spend the spiff on penny candy !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master
    I worked at a drug store when I was going through Jr. High and High schools. The bottle deposit was 2 cents and the deposit on the wood shell (it held 12 bottles) was 5 cents.

The store had a soda fountain and we made up flavored Cokes. Vanilla was the most popular followed by cherry. We had one doctor that would stop by almost every day on the way back to his office after he left the hospital morning rounds . If you were working the fountain and saw him coming through the door, it was automatic that you made a small chocolate Coke and took it over to the prescription counter for him.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    I had never heard of "NeHi" pop before I read this thread. It just occurred to me that is what "Radar" on "Mash" used to order at the bar--- a Grape NeHI!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

At my age the only thing I don't remember is the date of my first cave painting.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    I remember a .05 Coke machine and shortly after they all went to .10. It seems they stayed .10 til the early 70's then to .25 when there was supposedly a sugar shortage and the price never went back down.

gmsharps
    The slaughter house down the road had a coke machine that took THREE Cents. If you took the bottle with you you had to leave a two-cent deposit.

dale in Louisiana
    (Not older than dirt, but when I got here it was still on the pallet)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Back in the 40's-50's Coke would imprint the bottom of the bottles with the various cities names on them. They were dispensed from the vertical type machines. I have several of them including one with FLAGSTAFF, ARIZ on the bottom. They have become collectible.
    That was a game Dad played at work with his buddies. everybody buys a Coke. The one with the closest city paid for the next one for the guy with the furthest.

They also played poker with the M&M machine.

dale in Louisiana

I spent summer vacation of '78 working at a produce distributor that had an upright coke machine that served 6 1/2 oz bottles for a dime. It sure was good on those hot days. They kept the crates of coke right next to the machine. When you finished your coke, you just put the bottle in an empty crate.

I got hooked on the stuff working at that place.

Boolit Buddy

I remember the horizontal machines where they sat in cold water also. And always looking on the bottom of the bottle to see what town it was made in.

Up until age 12 and I went to driving tractors for neighboring farmers, we rode our bikes up and down state and county picking up return bottles. We could get a "Coke" and candy bar at Tinsley Grocery for 5 bottles. Actually I had a better gig--local manufacturer of a specialized liquid drink made in the river bottoms would give a nickle for pint and half pint whiskey bottles to package his product in. He did not have to have the original screw caps as he could buy them cheap by the case. We met him on Saturday mornings again at Tinsley's store. Those were the days--ride our bikes to the river to fish and pay for the day with the bottles picked up along the way. Also could trade cleaned brim for bologna and crackers at Red Hopson's store an meat market on the way to the Neches.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I know where there is still an old upright one in use, it takes 50 cents to get an 8 oz bottle out of it. When I was in high school they were a quarter, seems like I remember getting cokes out of them for a dime.
    Me too! We have a local feed and seed store that I used to buy stuff for our critters when I was a kid. The shop is still run by the same family and now my girls have pulled a Coke from the same machine I did as a kid. I may have to go and get one this weekend....

Nice memory.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    I had never heard of "NeHi" pop before I read this thread. It just occurred to me that is what "Radar" on "Mash" used to order at the bar--- a Grape NeHI!
    Hehi was bottled locally by Tri Cities Beverage in johnson City TN back in the 50's and 60's. I'm sure there were more bottlers franchised all across the country.

FWIW: that same company is still in business, under another name if my memory is correct, and bottles Dr. Enuf, a soft drink favorite in lots of the Southeast.

Boolit Buddy

My dad had a small country store that had a .06c machine that held the 6 oz bottles...it was chest type with water in it that was chilled...I worked in a machine shop for many years and we had a bottle machine that we "pulled" at break to see who had the bottle from the farthest locale...we would kick in a buck and all learned more about geography than we did in HS (Rand McNally atlas got areal workout)...btw in East Texas we call everything a coke..."you want a coke ?"...yeah I'll take a "Dr. Pepper" or an "orange belly wash" etc...also, a Dr. Pepper with Planters peanuts poured in the bottle is an old time favorite...

rick

Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    There was one Coke machine that had a 5 C coin slot and a 4 X 6" door, when you deposited the nickel in the slot you raised the door and pulled out the bottle, the raising of the door pulled the next bottle up for service, there was a "chain" of linked cylinders that held the bottles, you could raise the door any time, but the next bottle wasn't exposed until a coin was deposited and the door raised again.

I can remember the debut of the Coke king size 12 oz bottles, think it was about the same time Elvis hit the Ed Sullivan show with the censors blocking out the picture from his waist down ,that if I can remember was about '57 ?

Cane sugar was the sweetener replaced by corn syrup with the "New Coke debacle" that cost them a bunch of money, they went back to the "original"recipie, but retained the corn syrup.

The part of the country I live and worked in had a product called Double Cola and to my taste, has that original Coke taste, of course we all know that taste is very relative to the person doing the tasting.

Any one here drink Ale 8 One , if you do bet your from KY ?
    I used to drink alot of Ale 8 ...hell even alot of the gas stations from Richmond to Paris had frozen Ale 8 slushy machines !. Since I don't live in central KY anymore Ale 8 is rarely seen west of louisville. But we still have RC cola and moonpies !.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast