MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Casting bullets in a subdivision

Boolit Grand Master

Do your fluxing with something that doesn't smoke and stink .
    MARVELUX Non-Smoking , Non-fuming Oderless flux... every one on this site talks bad about it but it's a commercial flux and it will eliminate all your problems ...Glen E. Fryxell recommends it in his article on casting and fluxing ... just try it ... no flames , fumes, smoke or stink...what's not to like !
    I use it and I LIKE it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

It's one thing to tuck tail and run; it's another altogether to be discreet and not attract attention. As evidenced by another thread here about the Boy Scouts, snowflakes and progressives have become very emboldened by recent litigious success and will go looking for a fight. Yours would be a great place to start. Seeing as how you are smelting lead (a known EPA blacklist item and carcinogen) for the purpose of reloading (a nondescript terrorist activity) to use in your guns ( more terrorist activity) you are obviously an undesirable to the good progressives in your neighborhood and they could prove it to any good jury of your "peers" (who are probably all 2A haters) leaving you with the carnage, fines, and community service that goes with it.
    It's none of their damn business but don't give them any stones to throw at you. You might be right, but anymore that's not all that matters. If you can't keep it discreet, then buy pre-cast ingots or precast boolits and enjoy your hobby.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Buddy
    Giving this some thought...

I think I will attempt this a weekday morning, which is precious time for me relative to work, but I can do it later in the year when I burn leave.

I don't like idle chit chat, not with neighbors, not with law enforcement.

My lead wheel weights are fortunately plenty clean. A donation from someone who had them in his back yard decades in the elements. Many gallons of rain poured upon them.

I'm going to pour ingots. I'm also going to get a toy soldier mold and make a few. If anyone says anything, I'm making toy soldiers.

If you make lead weights for fishing, well not sure even how fishing is received around these parts.

Not sure where the concept of a neighborhood came from, bit whoever created it ought to be shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Really, it is none of your neighbors business. I would not hide my gun from them, either. You're doing nothing illegal and definitely nothing immoral. Their gas grill spews more smoke when they grill greasy chicken than your casting pot, if you do it right. Do not give the libs one inch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Really, it is none of your neighbors business. I would not hide my gun from them, either. You're doing nothing illegal and definitely nothing immoral. Their gas grill spews more smoke when they grill greasy chicken than your casting pot, if you do it right. Do not give the libs one inch.
    I know it's not illegal nor immoral but I would rather no one know I am pro 2A around here and have guns. Besides, if folks know you have firearms, maybe thievery might occur--but I do have a burglar alarm I use religiously.

I do know I'm not ever the only firearms owner around. I've never seen anyone with a firearm at all but a close by neighbor actually committed suicide in the back yard with a firearm and he had one obviously. The tone around here when that occurred seemed like most are anti firearm but it could also have been the shock of such a sudden event.

Boolit Bub
    I cast in my garage in the cooler months. Don’t do it everyday but when I do I cast several thousand. Keep the garage door down 2/3rds of the way. Open the man door leading out to the back patio and put a fan in front of it like was mentioned in another post. No one can see in. I don’t tell any neighbors What I’m doing. Been doing it for over 35 years. I also change my own oil, do brakes, minor car repairs to my 3 vehicles. No one in my neighborhood works on their own cars either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Tell them you make “fishing weights”. Nobody will ever suspect a thing, since most fishermen don’t come back with fish anyway.
    Ditto, I only cast fishing weights and they say okay. It has never occurred to anybody that I don't own a fishin pole nor do they ever see me a goin fishin. When they have a fish fry and invite me I tell them "No thanks, I hate fish",which I truly do. I prefer my food to have hooves or feathers.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Moderator Emeritus

Let's leave the slap-happy partisan political statements out of this...feel free to post your angst filled posts in the PIT.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
    Giving this some thought...

I think I will attempt this a weekday morning, which is precious time for me relative to work, but I can do it later in the year when I burn leave.

I don't like idle chit chat, not with neighbors, not with law enforcement.

My lead wheel weights are fortunately plenty clean. A donation from someone who had them in his back yard decades in the elements. Many gallons of rain poured upon them.

I'm going to pour ingots. I'm also going to get a toy soldier mold and make a few. If anyone says anything, I'm making toy soldiers.

If you make lead weights for fishing, well not sure even how fishing is received around these parts.

Not sure where the concept of a neighborhood came from, bit whoever created it ought to be shot.
    Please just try Marvelux for fluxing ...it doesn't smoke or stink . I use it for this reason and it really works .
    Good luck...discrete is the word !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Been rolling your predicament for a period. What about purchasing or build a really nice semi large smoker/grill unit. Up in morning and fire up smoker, get lead in pot, fire lead pot, place a couple racks of ribs on smoker, make smoke. Melt, clean, pour, check ribs, melt, clean, pour, check ribs, melt, clean, pour, okay done pouring, fire off, first adult beverage, check ribs, second adult beverage, clean up melt session, wash up real good, third adult beverage, check ribs, late afternoon inform the CO inside getting close, walk in full platter, next adult beverage, fill belly with ribs with reflection upon the victories created through day. Repeat as required!

Banned
    My property is in a culdesac and is smaller than yours. I cast in the driveway. there is no law against smelting lead.

I do try to do it when kids are at school and most are at work.

You could try obscuring your smelting setup with your BBQ or burning something fragrant in the BBQ

Boolit Buddy
    Honestly, I cast in my home office. (don't tell anyone)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    My property is in a culdesac and is smaller than yours. I cast in the driveway. there is no law against smelting lead.

I do try to do it when kids are at school and most are at work.

You could try obscuring your smelting setup with your BBQ or burning something fragrant in the BBQ
    Yup, I just throw an onion head on some charcoal.

Boolit Master

Heck, I was butchering sheep in my suburban back yard. Cast away!

A tall wooden fence is a handy thing to have.

Boolit Master

When I started casting 10 + years ago, I lived in a apartment complex. My yard was 20'X20'. I just did my thing. Only contact was some neighbor kids coming to watch, fascinated by the molten lead. Never heard a negative word. When I hung a doe in the front yard however, the manager came to visit.

Boolit Master

Gotta choose your battles. Once you're identified as the "gun guy who makes his own bullet" of the neighborhood, the stereotype & stigma lingers far more than you would want.
    Pissing off nosy neighbors &/or over-bearing HOAs by proudly displaying your "hobby" can cause more harm than pride of standing your ground. Complaints, valid or not, may be on record & can/will picture you as undesirable, or worse, a threat. What they don't know wont hurt them nor you.
    Its not about giving up your rights, its about being discreet & not help anyone build a case against you.
    I cast in my garage with the roll-up raised halfway, side door wide open & an industrial fan facing the pot. I keep my flux aflame to minimize smoke. Paraffin smoke can be taken in a wrong way if not mitigated. Baking powder-coated bullets on the other hand is more tolerable. There's always a couple of vehicles parked in the driveway, so the half-opened garage door isn't that visible from the knuckle-sac as well.
    Just my 2-cent, ymmv.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Gotta choose your battles. Once you're identified as the "gun guy who makes his own bullet" of the neighborhood, the stereotype & stigma lingers far more than you would want.
    Pissing off nosy neighbors &/or over-bearing HOAs by proudly displaying your "hobby" can cause more harm than pride of standing your ground. Complaints, valid or not, may be on record & can/will picture you as undesirable, or worse, a threat. What they don't know wont hurt them nor you.
    Its not about giving up your rights, its about being discreet & not help anyone build a case against you.
    I cast in my garage with the roll-up raised halfway, side door wide open & an industrial fan facing the pot. I keep my flux aflame to minimize smoke. Paraffin smoke can be taken in a wrong way if not mitigated. Baking powder-coated bullets on the other hand is more tolerable. There's always a couple of vehicles parked in the driveway, so the half-opened garage door isn't that visible from the knuckle-sac as well.
    Just my 2-cent, ymmv.
    Good sound advise.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Just my 2-cent, ymmv.
    Right! You explained better than I the original intent of this thread.

It's not about who is right. It's not even about if I am right. It's definitely not about me being right and casting smoke and offensive odors over the neighborhood.

It's all about doing this discreetly. I'm just the neighbor hardly anyone knows who is very quiet, keeps to himself, and is unlikely to cast bullets, let alone own firearms.

Let's keep it that way.

Will likely cast on the patio mid morning on a weekday, on a school day. Both neighbors in the house closest to me and behind the patio are teachers.

Long range plan: I need a place with a whole lot more land.

Have you got room to set up a yard shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Honestly, I cast in my home office. (don't tell anyone)
    Dude, you are my new hero.

After the 2nd .45ACP cooked off in the oven 20 years ago, I can't even dry brass in the house.

You just beat out the neighbor that pulled the carpet back---
    and did a full overhaul on a old Harley Davidson in his living room.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-12-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast