MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An auto-loading lever action rifle ???

Boolit Master

An auto-loading lever action rifle ???

I was browsing around on Gun Broker, and a "Demilled Gas Operated Marlin 336 30-30" showed up. I thought I have about seen it all, but this baby takes the cake. If someone can post a picture of this abomination, I'm sure everyone will find it interesting.

It is kind of a hybrid of John Browning's gas operated '73 Winchester and a gas trap M-1, but made by a 15 year old in the farm's blacksmith shop!

Boolit Master
    I saw that, thought that if it worked it was probably fired just once since it would have broken most of the shooters fingers.

Sounds like something Bubba created after a few beers on the picnic table.

Boolit Master

Several of the early machine guns were gas trap models in one form or another. Most of the modern day gas operated rifle are just modified gas traps in one form or another. Whether simple direct impingement on a flapper(like the early guns), gas impingement on an operating rod(like the M1 Garand) or a shorter impingement on M16, they are all similar. You bleed gas off and use the energy to operate the recoil/feed system of the rifle/shotgun. I would like to see how that young man made his operate, would be interesting. james

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember if it was JMB, Garand or someone else but I do remember reading about one of them using a lever gun as a concept design platform for testing.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I don't remember if it was JMB, Garand or someone else but I do remember reading about one of them using a lever gun as a concept design platform for testing.
    It was Bill Ruger who made his bones that way, using a Savage 99 for a base.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-first-ruger/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I was not aware of that one. The one I am referring to was on a Win 92 or a 94. It had exposed linkage under the barrel and going back to the lever.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859244777

It would almost be worth the price just to hang that on the wall to look at. Wowee.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post

It would almost be worth the price just to hang that on the wall to look at. Wowee.

I thought AR-15's were ugly, that thing has them beat hands down.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post

You buy and shoot it and I’ll video. Then I’ll drive you to the hospital because it is more than likely going to break a few fingers lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Boolit Master
    Think Hatchers book of the Garand shows some of the earlier designs for semi automatic military firearms that he was up against. And if my remaining 3 brain cells are still working there was one called the Bang which was a sort of gas trap design. But they all had to function with full powered 30-06 ammunition of which there were literally tons of the stuff after WWI. And McArthur didn't want another caliber in the supply chain. Frank

Boolit Master

Look up john moses browning flapper model 1873 long before bill ruger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Look up john moses browning flapper model 1873 long before bill ruger
    That's the one was thinking about but couldn't remember who did it. Thanks.

https://www.browning.com/news/articl...odel-1873.html

https://www.standard.net/entertainme...7ecded798.html

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Browning’s muzzle flap auto lever action was built on HIS baby- the 1892 Winchester. Ruger’s 99 is neater.

Boolit Master

https://www.browning.com/news/articl...odel-1873.html go see for yourself looks like it has sideplates not a 92

Boolit Master
    If it was just left-handed!
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like he was using it as a shovel and a few other implements.

"Hey ya'll watch this" he hollered as the finger lever amputated his trigger finger.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Someone thought it was worth $300. I'm also sure that if the buyer gives it a go, that will be followed by a trip to the emergency room and a hand splint.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    After studying this novel design, I have come to the conclusion that the rate of fire is determined by the length of the screen door spring, which must be housed in the lower portion of the buttstock, which returns the action to full battery. The rate of fire is adjustable, depending on rate at which the operator's fingers get mangled or cut off........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast