Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wheel Weights for Cowboy Action 45 Colt

Banned

Wheel Weights for Cowboy Action 45 Colt

Can I use WW for cast in the 45 Colt? I'm going to cheat just a bit and powder coat them, but just wondered if WW is too hard.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Shouldn’t be a problem !!! If worried, cut them 2/3 ww to 1/3 pure and be happy!! 50/50!ww/pure will stretch your ww even further and PC will help!! Just my opinion, good luck whatever you decide
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Waaay back when I was shooting CAS I used lino because I got it cheap. For the pressures/vel in CAS, you could shoot straight lead. So I would cut it by half if you have pure lead. If not, then just make sure the size is correct.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    ...I would cut it by half if you have pure lead.
    +1.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

For decades I used air cooled COWW , worked just fine .
    Then my free unlimited WW source retired from the tire business....
    To stretch my supply mixed 50-50 with lead ...actually this works even better especially in handgun and 30-30 Winchester boolits .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Unless you intend to shoot the gamer loads, COWW will work just fine. Most of what I shot in My Cowboy Shooting Days were COWW with a bit of #2 thrown in. But then I've always preferred a harder bullet then most.

FYI, if the steel targets are made correctly, then the bullets will shatter and hit the ground and make a line in the dirt at the base of the target. Softer bullets Will Not shatter, but will bounce off the ground and go just about anywhere.
    At the extremely close ranges SASS allows targets to be placed these days it's better to have a bullet break up and hit the ground in front of the target, then to have it bounce off the ground whole.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Personally I have found the harder bullets hit people much more than the softer ones, especially if a gamer is using them and they are tooo slow to shatter. No one has ever complained about getting hit with fragments of my 50/50 bullets pushed with Blackpowder, nor my son's bullets used with smokeless, with the same alloy. I have been hit many,many times by guys who run fast and hard.
    I went to a Cowboy night shoot a few times, with backlighting, and you could see where the fragments went, it was an eye opener. In any case, 50/50 works great for cowboy shooting, maybe even softer if you have an abundance of soft. Pure soft would work fine but it can be more difficult to cast well. IMHO, only been shooting SASS shoots for 21 years, the last 10 with my wife and 2 kids.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    To stretch my supply mixed 50-50 with lead ...actually this works even better especially in handgun and 30-30 Winchester boolits .
    Gary
    Agreed. I tend towards a wee bit softer for both 45 LC and 30-30. I was gifted PC'd bullets a few years ago by some nice folks on here. They shot ok in my 45s, but I'd rather just shoot lead if I could. COWW cut with a little recycled roof flashing I was very partial to. Downside is I'm not allowed to fiddle with it (IE casting) since the cancer surgery years ago. One of the many reasons I haven't loaded in a long time.

God Bless, and good luck!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Wheel weights work great in the 45 Colt. But if you are going to powder coat them you can get by with a softer alloy.