Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need a new single stage

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I don't like the LNL system either. Its a solution for a problem I don't have.
    I really liked my old 007 without it.

When I got back into reloading, I got a new Hornady single stage.
    It didn't take long before I took off a O ring from one bushing and JB welded it back in the frame.
    I use a Pacific 007 for the hard stuff also , but Lyman , RCBS , and lee make a good strong single stage press .
    Cruise ebay , but don't get excited

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    My Rock Chucker press was bought used. It does all my initial sizing and depriming of military brass. It can be pushed doing .308 machine gun brass but it has never failed. The biggest downside it has is that it spits primers all over the place. Maybe the newer models have that solved.

I would likely look at the Lee Cast press if I was buying new.

dverna,

About the closest thing to a cure for the Rock Chucker spitting used primers everywhere, is a plastic straw. I wasn't aware of it until several years back and read about it hear on the board. The best solution, was to cut a plastic straw and slip it into the recess in the press ram where the primers drop out the bottom of the shell holder. The spent primer travels through the straw and exits much closer to the primer catcher. Sure solved about 98% of my problems with spent primers.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Yep,me too. I am in the Rockchucker camp. I've been using mine steadily since 1970 or so.

Boolit Master
    Co Ax or the latest RCBS, the Rebel.

As folks send their Rock Chucker presses packing to buy the Rebel, you can gobble up a good used one. I would spend more effort with sales on the gun forums than Fleabay though.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Forster CoAx, if you can afford it.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master

Although I don't use one, the RCBS Rebel is getting good reviews.

I don't know why your 30-06 brass is hard enough to resize that you are concerned about your press' life. I have sized many, many 30-06 Garand brass on my old style Lee turret and Lee sizing die w/no problems. I use my Co-Ax now with RCBS dies and it's a breeze. I use Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream as case lube and sizing is problem free (HXP, Hornady, LC Korean War vintage, and mixed range brass).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure why this brass is giving me so much trouble. I did try a different lube that I have and it made a huge difference, but still a little to much flex from the little aluminum press.

It looks like a rcbs jr3 is in my future though. A member by the name leadhead is close to me and offered one at a very reasonable price. Thank you Sir!

The little partner I think will become a backup.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I have been very happy with my Lee Classic Cast single stage. And I like the way the spent primers go down through the ram.

Steve in N CA
    Me too!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a new press then look very hard at a Redding UltraMag single stage press.

Boolit Master
    stuck case problems disappeared for me when I started using imperial sizing wax. find an original rock chucker, Redding big boss or orange crusher and your grandchildren will spend their lives reloading with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    stuck case problems disappeared for me when I started using imperial sizing wax. find an original rock chucker, Redding big boss or orange crusher and your grandchildren will spend their lives reloading with it.
    100%

I reserve mine for case forming. But its great stuff and only a tiny amount is needed!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    If you want a new press then look very hard at a Redding UltraMag single stage press.
    SS presses, aren't complex devices and there are no secrets in making them. Thus, all of those that look about the same will work (and last) the same. So, pick a color or price you like and get it. (Including Lee's Classic Cast, which has the best list of nice user features currently available in an iron SS.)

But, if raw press strength is your goal, Redding's UltraMag IS the answer!

Most any of the heavier O frame presses will do the job well.
    I like the Lee Presses. They have spent primer control like few others. They go down through a tube to catch them in a the tube or you can unplug the tube and direct them into a gallon jug.
    Lee's Classic cast is a cast iron frame. Just as tough as any out there. A lot of people even re build the linkage to give even more power for bullet swaging.
    One thing you might think about is to get a second sizing die for those tough cases and leave out the decapping/expander rod. This way you on a stuck case you can easily drive a punch in from the top to drive the case out.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Stuck cases are a PITA.

Stuck cases occur for ONE reason; poor case lubrication. And it's usually due to poor lube application, especially down near the head.

Boolit Buddy
    The search is over. I met with leadhead this afternoon and acquired his jr3 press. Looks like it will work great. Just need to figure out how to catch spent primers.

Leadhead, thank you very much for reaching out to me. I also enjoyed our conversation and think I learned a few trick from you. Thanks again sir.

Boolit Master

Ken, Your very welcome.... You might find a primer catcher on e-bay.
    It goes around the base of the press and catches them when they
    slide down the slot it the ram. RCBS may even send you one for free
    if you call them.There customer service is supposed to be top notch.
    Hope it works out for you. And you don't have to call me sir.
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master

Something to consider is a press that was reviewed here a couple years ago. I cant remember the name I believe it was German made though. This press is very strong uses ball bushings on all sliding surfaces and has a lot of leverage. Very smooth operation and supposedly very accurate alignment between ram and die thread. Yhis machine was very well made but also very expensive

Banned
    Rock Chucker is the most accurate singlestage in it's price range.

You have to wonder why so many Rock Chucker's are still around.

PLUS RCBS has an excellent warranty

Boolit Master

Used older Rock Chucker.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Rock Chucker is a good way to go. Check prices. They can vary a lot even for brand new presses.

If the 06 cases are always being fired in the same gun, why not consider just neck sizing them?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast