Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Honda Goldwing experts here?

Boolit Master
    It's really hard to quit riding because there's no good reason to quit other than health issues that can make riding dangerous.

I had a few years riding break after a dozen of bikes,then got one,now have three. The only change is I don't ride those 200 mph missiles any more at 57.

I seriously think riding is good for my heart,got a stent and a-fib etc but I'm functioning fine all riding seasons. I don't notice or even remember any problems,it must be s good thing.

My suggestion is: If you want a Gold Wing,get a Gold Wing. I'd go with a non -modified though.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree, get what you want not what you think will be ok. You will be much happier. When I was buying my first bike I thought a Vulcan would work. Went to get it and saw a Softtail Custom which went home with me. Never regretted it and I still have the bike
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    It looks like the OP cooled off and is no longer considering that Goldwing.
    However, I would have been in the category of run away from single carb conversation. While a single carburetor would be simpler in terms of tuning & maintenance; it is decidedly not better. There's a reason the Honda engineers used multiple carbs. Better throttle response, far more equal air/fuel mixture delivery to each cylinder, better fuel mileage (particularly at cruise) and to some extent; improved reliability (if you lose one carb it will not run well but it will still run).

Honda engineers made a 1500cc V-12 formula one racing engine in the 1960's. Prior to adopting fuel injection, that engine used 12 carburetors. It had a redline of over 13,000 rpm's. It was the best engine in its class for the day. Those were engineers that knew their way around small displacement, multi-cylinder, multi-carb engines.

The Goldwing flat four and flat six engines are excellent designs. The boxer (flat) cylinder layout is a very reliable design. (think VW flat air cooled fours, Lycoming and Continental aircraft engines, BMW flat twins and Subaru water cooled flat fours). Honda engineers could have used a single carb on those boxer engines but they chose multiple carbs. Those guys are not stupid or inexperienced, they know how to make multiple carbs work. The problem comes later when some end-user decides they are smarter and can improve upon what the original engineer designed. That end-user can often make something that works but they seldom make something that works better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    It looks like the OP cooled off and is no longer considering that Goldwing.
    Yes and we are helping him to get back on the track.

Boolit Master

'05 Sportster my wife twisted my arm to get as she grew up on the back of her dad's bikes. '07 Softail classic because I had to lay the sporty down and she didn't want me to not ride. Sporty was fixed in a month, I think she just wanted a bigger cruiser.

Wife finally got her license but the sporty was too powerful and heavy due to health reasons. Scored a Honda Rebel with 1200 miles on it, new battery and tires. She loves it.

Father in law moved in with us, he now has the sporty. I have a friend rebuilding a 1960 T120 Bonneville which is getting electronic ignition, new pistons and cam. That will be my loud bike
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12