MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paper patch height

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Lyn, I wish I had a super fantastic technical answer for you but I don't.. All I know is it works, accuracy from 4 different 45 caliber rifles, and the 525 and 535 gr money bullets from BACO, using 7/8 width patch is getting hard to argue with, and leading hasn't been a problem. I use Napa water soluble oil and water for the wiping solution. I know a couple of folks that were using some sort of antifreeze diluted, with longer patches and ended up knocking a ton of lead out of their barrels..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Don, I just realized that you are using 7/8" wide patches, or 0.875". That is longer than the shank length on my BACO 446535 Money bullet. I actually patch to 0.760" on that one . On the 446545 Money bullet I patch to 0.860". I guess we have different ideas on what a short patch is .

I just try to patch to the exact end of the shank on the bullet, which can be interesting to measure actually. So maybe what I am doing is short patching. When I had lead I was patching the 446535 to 0.730" and that 0.030" less was enough to give just a touch of lead.

Chris.

Chris, that 7/8 inch patch is a good bit short of the ogive on both the money bullets. I use the same width with the .396 415 M. Bullets shorter than those I use a 3/4 inch wide patch.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don,
    Just curious about your results; however if it works for you that is all that counts.
    This has been a very interesting and informative thread.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Lyn when I do my part they do theirs quite well. It's just one of those don't ask why just do it deals.

Boolit Buddy

Paper patch height

I am also using a patch just shy of 7/8th and mine are also short of the ogive. I have yet to pull out any lead from the bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ian45662; 08-28-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Boolit Master
    I just had a thought. When you guys say you have a patch width of 7/8" do you mean that this is the width that you cut the patch? Or is it the distance along the parallel shank that you patch to?

I measure the distance along the bullet shank so my patches are cut longer than the dimensions I listed above by maybe 1/3 of the rifles calibre.

Chris.

Chris,

The only meaningful dimension is from the base of the bullet to the leading edge of the patch. Anything else is in the fold over at the bottom and I've never seen any difference in the amount folded under the bullet. Too much folded over is bad if it bunches up and a bare spot of lead in the center is good, but I don't care much otherwise. I think your 1/3 caliber is perfect, I just never seem to get that consistently, but the length up the side of the bullet I watch pretty close.

DT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Distant Thunder View Post
    Chris,

The only meaningful dimension is from the base of the bullet to the leading edge of the patch. Anything else is in the fold over at the bottom and I've never seen any difference in the amount folded under the bullet. Too much folded over is bad if it bunches up and a bare spot of lead in the center is good, but I don't care much otherwise. I think your 1/3 caliber is perfect, I just never seem to get that consistently, but the length up the side of the bullet I watch pretty close.

DT
    Sounds like you and I are doing pretty much the same thing. When I cut my patch strips I use a thick aluminum plate with some spacers and a straight edge so they are pretty consistent. Before wrapping bullets I mark where the top of the patch goes so I know where to start the patches.

I haven't spent much time with my PP rifles in the last couple of years as my grease groove shooting Shiloh's have been my focus, but your posts in the last while have sort of got me fired up .

Chris.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345