MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Fix for Lyman Handles?

Boolit Master

Fix for Lyman Handles?

I have a set of Lyman single cavity handles with the pivot pin drawn so tight that it has too be forcibly pried apart and closed. These were purchased on Ebay back in the "good ol' days".

Anyone here come up against a similar problem, and found a home remedy?

Boolit Master

I loosened my set by applying Break Free CLP to the joint and working it vigorously for a while (I know, then a cigarette and a shower), and wiping the crud as it exudes from the joint. It may take a LOT of working. Some heat could also help.

Mine is still not as free as some others, but it's useable.

Mark

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    monadnock:

Look real closely at the pivot pin, and you should be able to see that on one side or the other there is a faint ring about 1/2 of the diameter of the round button where it is riveted together. Lay the handles, this side up, across the jaws of a good vise, opened just enough to clear the button, but fully supporting the handle bosses it runs through. Take a hammer and a good-sized (3/8" or larger) flat-ended punch and give a light whack on the center; try and see if thehinge has loosened up a bit; and repeat until it just works freely (you can re-rivet it a bit on the vise pad if it gets too loose). Lube it with Bull-Plate and get back to casting.

Floodgate

Boolit Master

That's good poop, floodgate, thanks.

Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    monadnock:

Look real closely at the pivot pin, and you should be able to see that on one side or the other there is a faint ring about 1/2 of the diameter of the round button where it is riveted together. Lay the handles, this side up, across the jaws of a good vise, opened just enough to clear the button, but fully supporting the handle bosses it runs through. Take a hammer and a good-sized (3/8" or larger) flat-ended punch and give a light whack on the center; try and see if thehinge has loosened up a bit; and repeat until it just works freely (you can re-rivet it a bit on the vise pad if it gets too loose). Lube it with Bull-Plate and get back to casting.

Floodgate

Thanks alot Floodgate for the fix for tight handles.I have been fighting 2 different pair for years and now they are like new after a couple of good whacks...Terry

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    Thanks alot Floodgate for the fix for tight handles.I have been fighting 2 different pair for years and now they are like new after a couple of good whacks...Terry
    My thanks to you also Floodgate. A couple of solid blows with a mechanics hammer via a brass drift and my handles are better than new. It's good to have something I can work with. Now they can start earning the space I've set aside for them.

Remember, don't force it, get a bigger hammer!

Crabo